Listed Building

The only legal part of the listing under the Planning (Listing Buildings and Conservation Areas) (Scotland) Act 1997 is the address/name of site. Addresses and building names may have changed since the date of listing – see 'About Listed Buildings' below for more information. The further details below the 'Address/Name of Site' are provided for information purposes only.

Address/Name of Site

ALBERT PLACE, BURGH CHAMBERS AND CLOCK TOWER, INCLUDING WAR MEMORIALS, BALLUSTRADING AND STEPSLB31977

Status: Designated

Documents

There are no additional online documents for this record.

Summary

Category
B
Date Added
12/03/1971
Local Authority
Scottish Borders
Planning Authority
Scottish Borders
Burgh
Galashiels
NGR
NT 49311 35931
Coordinates
349311, 635931

Description

Robert Hall and Co, dated 1867; extensive additions by R S Lorimer 1924-7, including corbelled tower and extensions to SW and NE to form prominent corner-sited asymmetrical Scottish Renaissance style triangular-plan burgh buildings with clock tower and war memorial; 3-storey, 5-bay, brick extension to Paton Street by Aitken and Turnbull, 1976. Original 1867, 2-storey, 4-bay section to Albert Place (SW) with segmental arched windows, advanced crowstepped gable and large hoodmoulded geometric traceried window. Further 7-bay extension by Lorimer to SW with advanced crowstepped gable with carved capital french windows to bracketed balcony over architraved dated doorpiece forming main entrance. 3-storey, 10-bay elevation to Paton Street (NE) with shaped breaking eaves dormers to left hand bays; stone entrance porch and stair window to re-entrant angle with projecting 2-bay crowstepped gable to right. Coursed ashlar with deep chamfered surround to 1867 section; coursed rubble with smooth recessed rybats and moulded margins to SW and tower; random rubble with stugged sandstone margins to NE.

CLOCK TOWER AND WAR MEMORIAL: 5-stage, square-plan tower with corbelled top stage; pyramidal roof; breaking eaves gothic gabled clock (by W. Potts and Sons, Leeds); bi-partite ventilated windows; arrow slits and curved corner stair. Recessed double chamfered segmental and pointed arch with carved figure of Peace by David Sutherland to base of tower over large bronze 1st World War memorial plaque. Later 2nd World War memorials with canted stone hoodmoulds flanking central arch.

INTERIOR: good late Arts and Crafts decorative scheme in place predominantly dating to Lorimer extension of 1927; timber panelled doors to entrance hall with stone stair and decorative wrought iron railings. Painted panel depicting town motto 'sour plums' and large contemporary mural of Pan by Phoebe Anna Traquair (1852-1936) over the main stairwell, originally housed in Melrose. Timber glazed screens to cloakrooms; circular brass rams head light fittings. Main 1st floor meeting chamber dating to 1867; piended ribbed ceiling; decorative plaster corbels; panelled woodwork and shutters. Former police station cells to basement.

Predominantly 12-pane timber sash and case windows; pitched slate roofs; stone crowstepped skews and beaked skewputts; corniced ashlar ridge stacks; plastic gutters; cast-iron downpipes.

Statement of Special Interest

The Burgh Chambers with its War Memorial is an important landmark in Galashiels, prominently sited at the head of Bank Street, dominating the Cornmill Fountain and the Bank Street Gardens, and defining an area that was formerly used for outdoor civic gatherings. The building itself is a striking Scottish Renaissance composition by Scotland's prominent architect of the early 20th century, R S Lorimer (1864-1929).

The Edinburgh firm of Lorimer and Mathew carried out alterations to form a Caretakers House within the Burgh Chambers circa 1939. It is believed that this was sited to the 1st floor interior courtyard, but is now converted to office accommodation.

The original building of 1867 was completed at a cost of £1600. The Clock Tower extension was built on the site of the former mill house to the corn mill which was also demolished to make way for the Cornmill fountain. The balcony to the SW was gifted in 1935 by Alexander Darling in memory of time spent in Galashiels from 1873-77. The bells were donated by the Cochranes, a prominent local manufacturing company, in memory of 2 sons killed in the war.

The basement was previously used as a police station and cells are still evident. The main chamber is used as the burgh chambers whilst the remainder of the building also houses permanent offices for the local council (2006).

References

Bibliography

www.galashielsbordernet.co.uk. K Cruft, Buildings of Scotland, Borders (2006) p 300. C Strang, Borders and Berwick, (1994) p 198. 2nd edition and 3rd revision ORDNANCE SURVEY maps, (1897 and 1930). http://www.codexgeo.co.uk/dsa/ (Dictionary of Scottish Architects).

About Listed Buildings

Historic Environment Scotland is responsible for designating sites and places at the national level. These designations are Scheduled monuments, Listed buildings, Inventory of gardens and designed landscapes and Inventory of historic battlefields.

We make recommendations to the Scottish Government about historic marine protected areas, and the Scottish Ministers decide whether to designate.

Listing is the process that identifies, designates and provides statutory protection for buildings of special architectural or historic interest as set out in the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) (Scotland) Act 1997.

We list buildings which are found to be of special architectural or historic interest using the selection guidance published in Designation Policy and Selection Guidance (2019)

Listed building records provide an indication of the special architectural or historic interest of the listed building which has been identified by its statutory address. The description and additional information provided are supplementary and have no legal weight.

These records are not definitive historical accounts or a complete description of the building(s). If part of a building is not described it does not mean it is not listed. The format of the listed building record has changed over time. Earlier records may be brief and some information will not have been recorded.

The legal part of the listing is the address/name of site which is known as the statutory address. Other than the name or address of a listed building, further details are provided for information purposes only. Historic Environment Scotland does not accept any liability for any loss or damage suffered as a consequence of inaccuracies in the information provided. Addresses and building names may have changed since the date of listing. Even if a number or name is missing from a listing address it will still be listed. Listing covers both the exterior and the interior and any object or structure fixed to the building. Listing also applies to buildings or structures not physically attached but which are part of the curtilage (or land) of the listed building as long as they were erected before 1 July 1948.

While Historic Environment Scotland is responsible for designating listed buildings, the planning authority is responsible for determining what is covered by the listing, including what is listed through curtilage. However, for listed buildings designated or for listings amended from 1 October 2015, legal exclusions to the listing may apply.

If part of a building is not listed, it will say that it is excluded in the statutory address and in the statement of special interest in the listed building record. The statement will use the word 'excluding' and quote the relevant section of the 1997 Act. Some earlier listed building records may use the word 'excluding', but if the Act is not quoted, the record has not been revised to reflect subsequent legislation.

Listed building consent is required for changes to a listed building which affect its character as a building of special architectural or historic interest. The relevant planning authority is the point of contact for applications for listed building consent.

Find out more about listing and our other designations at www.historicenvironment.scot/advice-and-support. You can contact us on 0131 668 8914 or at designations@hes.scot.

Images

There are no images available for this record, you may want to check Canmore for images relating to ALBERT PLACE, BURGH CHAMBERS AND CLOCK TOWER, INCLUDING WAR MEMORIALS, BALLUSTRADING AND STEPS

There are no images available for this record.

Search Canmore

Printed: 16/08/2022 22:22