Listed Building

The only legal part of the listing under the Planning (Listing Buildings and Conservation Areas) (Scotland) Act 1997 is the address/name of site. Addresses and building names may have changed since the date of listing – see 'About Listed Buildings' below for more information. The further details below the 'Address/Name of Site' are provided for information purposes only.

Address/Name of Site

ABOYNE, THE GLEBE HOUSE (FORMERLY ABOYNE MANSE), INCLUDING ANCILLARY STRUCTURE, GATEPIERS AND BOUNDARY WALLLB3117

Status: Designated

Documents

There are no additional online documents for this record.

Summary

Category
B
Group Category Details
100000020 - see notes
Date Added
24/11/1972
Supplementary Information Updated
06/02/2019
Local Authority
Aberdeenshire
Planning Authority
Aberdeenshire
Parish
Aboyne And Glen Tanar
NGR
NO 52109 97983
Coordinates
352109, 797983

Description

1790; addition 1835. 3-storey, basement and attic, 3-bay, rectangular-plan former manse, 2-storey and basement, 2-bay addition forming L-plan. Harled to S and E, pink and grey tooled coursed granite with cherry cocking to N and W. Base course and eaves course to 1835 addition.

S (ENTRANCE) ELEVATION: asymmetrical; 4-bay. Gabled 1835 addition advanced to left, 2-storey, 2-bay with regular fenestraiton; single storey addition to ground floor of left return, flanked by single window to left; regular fenestration to ground and 1st floor of right return, square-pane leaded window above single storey porch in re-enrant angle, panelled timber door to E with decorative fanlight, single window to S. 1790 bays to right, window to 1st and 2nd floors of penultimate bay to right, regular fenestration to bay to outer right.

E ELEVATION: near-symmetrical gabled bay; window off-centre to right of ground floor; 4-pane window set in gablehead of attic floor.

N ELEVATION: near-symmetrical; irregular fenestration to ground and basement floors; stair windows between ground and 1st floor, and 1st and 2nd floors of centre bay, small 4-pane window to 2nd floor; regular fenestration to flanking bay to left; 2-pane window to 2nd floor of bay to right; boarded timber larder to right of ground floor.

W ELEVATION: near-symmetrical; 2-bay; ground floor obscured by single storey piend-roofed addtion with 2 windows, window to left return, addition adjoining to right (see above); regular fenestration to 1st floor; regularly placed fenestration to 2nd floor, 2-pane replacement window to right; small single pane window set in gablehead of attic floor; 1835 addition adjoining to right.

Predominantly 12-pane timber sash and case windows. Grey slate roof, graded to 1835 addition, with lead ridge. Stone skews. Coped gablehead stacks with circular cans to 1790 house; coped paired diamond end gablehead stack and single diamond end wallhead stack with octagonal can to 1835 addition. Cast-iron rainwater goods.

INTERIOR: not seen 1998.

ANCILLARY STRUCTURE: single storey, U-plan former stables to N of house. Pink granite rubble with tooled long and short dressings; boarded timber doors; timber windows with top hoppers.

S Elevation: near-symmetrical; 4-bay central bays with boarded timber door to each except window to penultimate bay to left; dormer with boarded timber opening to breaking eaves to left. Bay to outer left advanced with large 2-leaf timber door; window to right return. Bay to outer right advanced with large 2-leaf timbe rdoor to left and sliding timber door to right, 2 blind windows above; timber door to left return.

E Elevation: aysmmetrical; door to centre flanked to left by large boarded and glazed sliding door.

N Elevation: asymmetrical; panelled door to right flanked to right by window.

6-pane timber windows. Slate roof with lead ridge. Cast-iron rainwater goods.

Interior: rubble walls, timber roof, 9 stone and timber nesting boxes.

GATEPIERS AND BOUNDARY WALL: square-plan bullfaced granite gatepiers to NE of house with semi-spherical caps, flanked by short section of bullfaced wall with bullfaced coping stepped up.

Statement of Special Interest

B-Group with Aboyne, The Glebe House, Walled Garden. The manse was sold in 1946, and a new manse was acquired in St. Eunan's Road, Aboyne. Originally the manse was accompanied by 20 acres of "such worthless soil", only some of which remains under its ownership today. It is described by Dinnie as "a neat building situated on a beautiful retired spot among the woods" (p158).

References

Bibliography

THE NEW STATISTICAL ACCOUNT OF SCOTLAND, Vol 12, (1845), p1067; R Dinnie, AN ACCOUNT OF THE PARISH OF BIRSE, HISTORICAL, STATISTICAL AND ANTIQUARIAN, (1865), p158; 1st (1866-67) AND 2nd (1902) EDITION OS MAPS; H Hamilton (ed), THE THIRD STATISTICAL ACCOUNT OF SCOTLAND: THE COUNTY OF ABERDEEN, (1960), p427; NMRS, THE GLEBE HOUSE SALE BROCHURE, D 5 13 GLE;

About Listed Buildings

Historic Environment Scotland is responsible for designating sites and places at the national level. These designations are Scheduled monuments, Listed buildings, Inventory of gardens and designed landscapes and Inventory of historic battlefields.

We make recommendations to the Scottish Government about historic marine protected areas, and the Scottish Ministers decide whether to designate.

Listing is the process that identifies, designates and provides statutory protection for buildings of special architectural or historic interest as set out in the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) (Scotland) Act 1997.

We list buildings which are found to be of special architectural or historic interest using the selection guidance published in Designation Policy and Selection Guidance (2019)

Listed building records provide an indication of the special architectural or historic interest of the listed building which has been identified by its statutory address. The description and additional information provided are supplementary and have no legal weight.

These records are not definitive historical accounts or a complete description of the building(s). If part of a building is not described it does not mean it is not listed. The format of the listed building record has changed over time. Earlier records may be brief and some information will not have been recorded.

The legal part of the listing is the address/name of site which is known as the statutory address. Other than the name or address of a listed building, further details are provided for information purposes only. Historic Environment Scotland does not accept any liability for any loss or damage suffered as a consequence of inaccuracies in the information provided. Addresses and building names may have changed since the date of listing. Even if a number or name is missing from a listing address it will still be listed. Listing covers both the exterior and the interior and any object or structure fixed to the building. Listing also applies to buildings or structures not physically attached but which are part of the curtilage (or land) of the listed building as long as they were erected before 1 July 1948.

While Historic Environment Scotland is responsible for designating listed buildings, the planning authority is responsible for determining what is covered by the listing, including what is listed through curtilage. However, for listed buildings designated or for listings amended from 1 October 2015, legal exclusions to the listing may apply.

If part of a building is not listed, it will say that it is excluded in the statutory address and in the statement of special interest in the listed building record. The statement will use the word 'excluding' and quote the relevant section of the 1997 Act. Some earlier listed building records may use the word 'excluding', but if the Act is not quoted, the record has not been revised to reflect subsequent legislation.

Listed building consent is required for changes to a listed building which affect its character as a building of special architectural or historic interest. The relevant planning authority is the point of contact for applications for listed building consent.

Find out more about listing and our other designations at www.historicenvironment.scot/advice-and-support. You can contact us on 0131 668 8914 or at designations@hes.scot.

Images

There are no images available for this record, you may want to check Canmore for images relating to ABOYNE, THE GLEBE HOUSE (FORMERLY ABOYNE MANSE), INCLUDING ANCILLARY STRUCTURE, GATEPIERS AND BOUNDARY WALL

There are no images available for this record.

Search Canmore

Printed: 26/06/2022 02:52