Listed Building

The only legal part of the listing under the Planning (Listing Buildings and Conservation Areas) (Scotland) Act 1997 is the address/name of site. Addresses and building names may have changed since the date of listing – see 'About Listed Buildings' below for more information. The further details below the 'Address/Name of Site' are provided for information purposes only.

Address/Name of Site

ABOYNE, HUNTLY ROAD, ABOYNE AND DINNET PARISH CHURCH, ST MACHAR'S, (CHURCH OF SCOTLAND), INCLUDING CHURCH HALL, BURIAL GROUND, GATES, GATEPIERS AND BOUNDARY WALLSLB3116

Status: Designated

Documents

There are no additional online documents for this record.

Summary

Category
B
Date Added
24/11/1972
Supplementary Information Updated
06/02/2019
Local Authority
Aberdeenshire
Planning Authority
Aberdeenshire
Parish
Aboyne And Glen Tanar
NGR
NO 52474 98311
Coordinates
352474, 798311

Description

1842. Strepped Perpendicular Gothic church incorporating 1761 Huntly Vault. Coursed tooled granite with finely finished dressings. Base course; pointed-arched openings; chamfered reveals; angle buttresses breaking eaves with coped pyramidal finial; eaves cornice.

E (PRINCIPAL) ELEVATION: symmetrical; 3-bay; bay to centre slightly advanced, deeply chamfered doorway with hoodmould to ground floor, 2-leaf decoratively panelled timber door; 3-light traceried window above with decorative hoodmould; birdcage belcote stepped-up to apex with pyramidal cap. Window to bay to left; infilled window to bay to right.

N ELEVATION: asymmetrical; 4-bay; lean-to vestry to centre of ground floor with 2 irregularly placed windows, 2 coped stacks to left return, piend -roofed addition to re-entrant angle , flanked by timber lean-to, panelled timber door to right return; 2 half-height windows above; window to each flanking bay; chamfered doorway to Huntly Vault in bay to outer left, surmounted by tooled stone reading "1761" and Huntly coat of arms, boarded timber door.

W ELEVATION: symmetrical; 3-bay; ground floor doorway bay slightly advanced, 2-leaf boarded timber door surmounted by 3-light traceried window; louvred cross-opening set in gablehead; blind window to flanking bay to right; window to flanking bay to left.

S ELEVATION: symmetrical; 4-bay; regular fenestration to each bay.

Predominantly small-pane timber traceried windows. Grey slate roof with lead ridge. Coped stone skews. 2 coped stacks to lean-to vestry. Cast-iron rainwater goods.

INTERIOR: porch leading to stairs to gallery at NW and NE corners; timber pulpit, communion table, chairs and reading desk to S wall; decorative timber panelled galleries to W, N and E on cast-iron octagonal columns; simply panelled pine pews; bell pull in window reveal to E; organ to SW corner. Barrell-vaulted Huntly Vault to basement to north reached from exterior.

HALL: 1902. Single storey plain gothic church hall to W of church. Tooled coursed pink granite with some ladder snecking, finely finished to margins. Chamfered pointed-arched openings; timber eaves course.

W Elevation: asymmetrical; 5-bay; 4-bay addition to bays to left, bipartite window to each bay, shouldered doorway to right return, boarded timber door with glazed panels; bipartite window to outer right.

S Elevation: symmetrical; 3 lancet windows in relieving arch.

E Elevation: asymmetrical; 5-bay; bipartite windows to 3 bays to left, single window to penultimate bay to right, glazed and boarded timber door to outer right.

N Elevation: symmetrical; 3 lancet windows in relieving arch.

Predominantly square-pane leaded windows. Purple grey slate roof with lead ridge and 2 cast-iron ventilators. Coped stone skews with decorative finials. Cast-iron rainwater goods.

Interior: simple interior with modern alterations.

GRAVE YARD, GATES, GATEPIERS AND BOUNDARY WALLS: grave yard surrounding church enclosed by rubble boundary wall with pointed coping. Gates to E and W with square grey granite gatepiers, coped with ogee caps and spherical finials, pedestrian gateway to E; geometric ironwork gates.

Statement of Special Interest

Ecclesiastical building in use as such. The early religious history in Aboyne is rather unclear, a Preceptory was erected "at Aboyne" in 1232 (Lawson p1) which was taken over by the Knights of St. John in 1314. Aboyne's place of worship seems to have originally been in Formaston, until 1762 when the first church was built in Aboyne. In 1763 so popular was the church that plans to build a west loft "for the accommodation of subtenants and the poor sort of people" (Lawson p11) were approved. However, by 1841 the old church wasn't structurally sound and in 1842 a new "handsome parish church" (Groome p30) was built on the site of the old, only retaining the Huntly Vault to the north, over which is the 1761 datestone and the Huntly coat of arms. A bell for the new church was made by melting down the bell from the ruin of Old Glen Tanar church (see separate listing); the bell and birdcage belcote from the old church were moved to the tower at Aboyne Castle home farm where they survive today. A pipe organ was installed in the new church in 1843. The organ was replaced in 1914, and was only moved to its present site in 1974 when modern heating was installed.

References

Bibliography

THE NEW STATISTICAL ACCOUNT OF SCOTLAND, Vol 12, (1845), p1060, 1067; R Dinnie, AN ACCOUNT OF THE PARISH OF BIRSE, HISTORICAL, STATISTICAL AND ANTIQUARIAN, (1865), p158,164; 1st (1866-67) AND 2nd (1902) EDITION OS MAPS; F H Groome, ORDNANCE GAZETTEER OF SCOTLAND: A SURVEY OF SCOTTISH TOPOGRAPHY, STATISTICAL, BIOGRAPHICAL, AND HISTORICAL, (1886), Vol. 1, p30; SRO, Papers regarding ecclesiastical buildings 1892-1930, HR 653/4; J Coutts, DICTIONARY OF DEESIDE, (1899), p54; H Hamilton (ed), THE THIRD STATISTICAL ACCOUNT OF SCOTLAND: THE COUNTY OF ABERDEEN, (1960), p426-427; L Lawson, THE CHURCH AT ABOYNE, (1991).

About Listed Buildings

Historic Environment Scotland is responsible for designating sites and places at the national level. These designations are Scheduled monuments, Listed buildings, Inventory of gardens and designed landscapes and Inventory of historic battlefields.

We make recommendations to the Scottish Government about historic marine protected areas, and the Scottish Ministers decide whether to designate.

Listing is the process that identifies, designates and provides statutory protection for buildings of special architectural or historic interest as set out in the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) (Scotland) Act 1997.

We list buildings which are found to be of special architectural or historic interest using the selection guidance published in Designation Policy and Selection Guidance (2019)

Listed building records provide an indication of the special architectural or historic interest of the listed building which has been identified by its statutory address. The description and additional information provided are supplementary and have no legal weight.

These records are not definitive historical accounts or a complete description of the building(s). If part of a building is not described it does not mean it is not listed. The format of the listed building record has changed over time. Earlier records may be brief and some information will not have been recorded.

The legal part of the listing is the address/name of site which is known as the statutory address. Other than the name or address of a listed building, further details are provided for information purposes only. Historic Environment Scotland does not accept any liability for any loss or damage suffered as a consequence of inaccuracies in the information provided. Addresses and building names may have changed since the date of listing. Even if a number or name is missing from a listing address it will still be listed. Listing covers both the exterior and the interior and any object or structure fixed to the building. Listing also applies to buildings or structures not physically attached but which are part of the curtilage (or land) of the listed building as long as they were erected before 1 July 1948.

While Historic Environment Scotland is responsible for designating listed buildings, the planning authority is responsible for determining what is covered by the listing, including what is listed through curtilage. However, for listed buildings designated or for listings amended from 1 October 2015, legal exclusions to the listing may apply.

If part of a building is not listed, it will say that it is excluded in the statutory address and in the statement of special interest in the listed building record. The statement will use the word 'excluding' and quote the relevant section of the 1997 Act. Some earlier listed building records may use the word 'excluding', but if the Act is not quoted, the record has not been revised to reflect subsequent legislation.

Listed building consent is required for changes to a listed building which affect its character as a building of special architectural or historic interest. The relevant planning authority is the point of contact for applications for listed building consent.

Find out more about listing and our other designations at www.historicenvironment.scot/advice-and-support. You can contact us on 0131 668 8914 or at designations@hes.scot.

Images

There are no images available for this record, you may want to check Canmore for images relating to ABOYNE, HUNTLY ROAD, ABOYNE AND DINNET PARISH CHURCH, ST MACHAR'S, (CHURCH OF SCOTLAND), INCLUDING CHURCH HALL, BURIAL GROUND, GATES, GATEPIERS AND BOUNDARY WALLS

There are no images available for this record.

Search Canmore

Printed: 20/05/2022 02:36