Listed Building

The only legal part of the listing under the Planning (Listing Buildings and Conservation Areas) (Scotland) Act 1997 is the address/name of site. Addresses and building names may have changed since the date of listing – see 'About Listed Buildings' below for more information. The further details below the 'Address/Name of Site' are provided for information purposes only.

Address/Name of Site

ALLANCREICH FARMHOUSE, INCLUDING CHEESE PRESSLB3093

Status: Designated

Documents

There are no additional online documents for this record.

Summary

Category
C
Date Added
25/11/1980
Local Authority
Aberdeenshire
Planning Authority
Aberdeenshire
Parish
Birse
NGR
NO 57206 96692
Coordinates
357206, 796692

Description

Circa 1840. Single storey and attic, 3-bay, rectangular-plan farmhouse with later additions and alterations. Coursed tooled granite rubble with long and short dressings. Base course; projecting cills; consoled canopies to ground floor openings; crowstepped gables.

SW (PRINCIPAL) ELEVATION: symmetrical; glazed panelled timber door to centre of ground floor, with letterbox fanlight; window to each flanking bay. Modern skylight to centre of attic floor, flanked to left and right by flat-roofed timber box dormer.

SE ELEVATION: asymmetrical; gabled; window off-centre to right of ground floor, window off-centre to left of gablehead. Modern 2-bay harled addition adjoining to outer right.

NE ELEVATION: predominantly obscured by modern harled addition advanced to left, with lean-to entrance bay. Cheese press to right at ground floor.

NW ELEVATION: asymmetrical; gabled; window off-centre to right of gablehead.

Variety of timber sash and case windows. Graded grey slate roof with tiled ridge. Stone skews with corniced skewputts. Corniced granite gablehead stacks with circular cans. PVCu rainwater goods.

INTERIOR: not seen 1999.

Statement of Special Interest

According to the 3rd Statistical Account "the farm now called Allancreich was a posting place in the days of the stage coach and the buildings have still numerous stalls for stabling" (p419-420), which perhaps explains why the detail on this building is rather grander than many of the other estate buildings. The steadings have been altered, however the house survives largely intact. According to Callander, Allancreich was also an ale house. The Ballogie Estate was, in 1650, called Tillysnaught, and belonged to the Roses of Kilravock. It then passed to the Forbes family, followed by the Innes family and their relatives the Farquharsons. When the Innes family of Ballogie and Balnacraig died out the Farquharsons took on their name, becoming Farquharson-Innes. Lewis Farqhuarson-Innes was responsible for the building of the Home Farm, and the "ornamented entrance and a clock in front" (Dinnie, p95). In 1850 the estate was sold to Mr James Dyce Nicol, a former MP for Kincardineshire. He was described as "a progressive landowner, spending large sums of money on his properties".

References

Bibliography

REFERENCES Hamilton (ed), THE THIRD STATISTICAL ACCOUNT OF SCOTLAND: THE COUNTY OF ABERDEEN, (1960), p419-420; R Callander, HISTORY IN BIRSE, Vol 4 (1985), p176.

About Listed Buildings

Historic Environment Scotland is responsible for designating sites and places at the national level. These designations are Scheduled monuments, Listed buildings, Inventory of gardens and designed landscapes and Inventory of historic battlefields.

We make recommendations to the Scottish Government about historic marine protected areas, and the Scottish Ministers decide whether to designate.

Listing is the process that identifies, designates and provides statutory protection for buildings of special architectural or historic interest as set out in the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) (Scotland) Act 1997.

We list buildings which are found to be of special architectural or historic interest using the selection guidance published in Designation Policy and Selection Guidance (2019)

Listed building records provide an indication of the special architectural or historic interest of the listed building which has been identified by its statutory address. The description and additional information provided are supplementary and have no legal weight.

These records are not definitive historical accounts or a complete description of the building(s). If part of a building is not described it does not mean it is not listed. The format of the listed building record has changed over time. Earlier records may be brief and some information will not have been recorded.

The legal part of the listing is the address/name of site which is known as the statutory address. Other than the name or address of a listed building, further details are provided for information purposes only. Historic Environment Scotland does not accept any liability for any loss or damage suffered as a consequence of inaccuracies in the information provided. Addresses and building names may have changed since the date of listing. Even if a number or name is missing from a listing address it will still be listed. Listing covers both the exterior and the interior and any object or structure fixed to the building. Listing also applies to buildings or structures not physically attached but which are part of the curtilage (or land) of the listed building as long as they were erected before 1 July 1948.

While Historic Environment Scotland is responsible for designating listed buildings, the planning authority is responsible for determining what is covered by the listing, including what is listed through curtilage. However, for listed buildings designated or for listings amended from 1 October 2015, legal exclusions to the listing may apply.

If part of a building is not listed, it will say that it is excluded in the statutory address and in the statement of special interest in the listed building record. The statement will use the word 'excluding' and quote the relevant section of the 1997 Act. Some earlier listed building records may use the word 'excluding', but if the Act is not quoted, the record has not been revised to reflect subsequent legislation.

Listed building consent is required for changes to a listed building which affect its character as a building of special architectural or historic interest. The relevant planning authority is the point of contact for applications for listed building consent.

Find out more about listing and our other designations at www.historicenvironment.scot/advice-and-support. You can contact us on 0131 668 8914 or at designations@hes.scot.

Images

There are no images available for this record, you may want to check Canmore for images relating to ALLANCREICH FARMHOUSE, INCLUDING CHEESE PRESS

There are no images available for this record.

Search Canmore

Printed: 20/05/2022 01:43