Listed Building

The only legal part of the listing under the Planning (Listing Buildings and Conservation Areas) (Scotland) Act 1997 is the address/name of site. Addresses and building names may have changed since the date of listing – see 'About Listed Buildings' below for more information. The further details below the 'Address/Name of Site' are provided for information purposes only.

Address/Name of Site


Status: Designated


There are no additional online documents for this record.


Date Added
Local Authority
Planning Authority
NO 62244 92892
362244, 792892


Dated 1733; 20th century alterations. 2-storey, 3-bay, L-plan small laird's house, with courtyard adjoining to E. Harled with chamfered granite reveals. Base course.

E (PRINCIPAL) ELEVATION: symmetrical; panelled timber door to centre of ground floor, with letterbox fanlight; window to each flanking bay; regular fenestration to 1st floor. Courtyard wall extends from outer right (see below). Single storey addition advanced to outer left, door and 3 irregularly placed windows to right return, lamp to right corner.

N ELEVATION: gabled; small infilled opening to left of gablehead; modern electricity meter box to ground floor. Courtyard wall adjoining to left (see below).

W ELEVATION: asymmetrical; small vertical opening near-centre of ground floor, irregular fenestration to ground and 1st floors. Single storey addition adjoining to outer right, with square-plan engaged tower to angle.

S ELEVATION: gabled; infilled opening with metal ventilators to left of gablehead; ground floor obscured by adjoining single storey addition, 3 windows to right, flanked to left by modern glazed door, tower to left angle with bipartite window, window to left and right returns, pyramidal roof with weather-vane finial.

Predominantly 4-pane timber sash and case windows, timber windows with top hoppers to rear. Graded grey slate roof with stone ridge. Stone skews with decorative skewputts, that to NE dated "1733", SE tooled "DO ??" (David Ochterlouny). Harled corniced gablehead stacks; ridge stack with octagonal can to single storey addition. Cast-iron rainwater goods.

INTERIOR: refurbished, late 20th century, retaining some 19th century detailing.

GATES, GATEPIERS, COUTYARD WALL, BOUNDARY WALLS, CHEESE PRESS AND LOUPIN'-ON STANE: rubble coped harled courtyard wall adjoining house to E, stepped down to E; square-plan corniced gatepiers to N, with spherical finials; decorative ironwork 2-leaf gate. Pink granite cheese press against rubble wall to SE. 4-step granite rubble mounting platform to N of house. Granite rubble walls adjoining house to S.

ANCILLARY STRUCTURE: single storey, harled rubble steading to NE of house, finely finished granite dressings; gabled large round-arched opening to centre, with bull's-eye set in gablehead and spherical finial, windows flanking to left and right, boarded timber doors to outer left and right; corrugated door to right return; rubble elevation to left return with small boarded timber opening set in gablehead. Modern building adjoining to rear. Corrugated roof; cast-iron rainwater goods.

Statement of Special Interest

The Tillyfruskie estate (then Tillyfroskie) was owned by the Strachans in the 16th century, by 1696 the estate belonged to James Ochterlouny, and was worth 250 Scots Pounds. James was followed by his son Peter Ochterlouny, who built the present house and carved his initials and those of his wife, along with the date (1733) on the skewputts. Between 1755 and 1770 the estate was passed to the Farquharsons of Finzean. Tillyfruskie survives almost completely intact, with only the loss of the walled garden. The design and layout should be compared with Shiels in Midmar Parish, which is a larger T-plan version. It has lost (or perhaps never had) its courtyard, but retains its walled garden and is more completely preserved inside.



J Blaeu, ABERDONIA & BANFIA, (1654); THE NEW STATISTICAL ACCOUNT OF SCOTLAND, Vol. XII, (1845), p791; R Dinnie, AN ACCOUNT OF THE PARISH OF BIRSE, HISTORICAL, STATISTICAL AND ANTIQUARIAN, (1865), p41, 125; 1st (1869) and 2nd (1903) EDITION OS MAPS; ; F Wyness, ROYAL VALLEY: THE STORY OF THE ABERDEENSHIRE DEE, (1968), p201-202, 310, plate 21.3; R Callander, HISTORY IN BIRSE, (1981), Vol 1, p13.

About Listed Buildings

Historic Environment Scotland is responsible for designating sites and places at the national level. These designations are Scheduled monuments, Listed buildings, Inventory of gardens and designed landscapes and Inventory of historic battlefields.

We make recommendations to the Scottish Government about historic marine protected areas, and the Scottish Ministers decide whether to designate.

Listing is the process that identifies, designates and provides statutory protection for buildings of special architectural or historic interest as set out in the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) (Scotland) Act 1997.

We list buildings which are found to be of special architectural or historic interest using the selection guidance published in Designation Policy and Selection Guidance (2019)

Listed building records provide an indication of the special architectural or historic interest of the listed building which has been identified by its statutory address. The description and additional information provided are supplementary and have no legal weight.

These records are not definitive historical accounts or a complete description of the building(s). If part of a building is not described it does not mean it is not listed. The format of the listed building record has changed over time. Earlier records may be brief and some information will not have been recorded.

The legal part of the listing is the address/name of site which is known as the statutory address. Other than the name or address of a listed building, further details are provided for information purposes only. Historic Environment Scotland does not accept any liability for any loss or damage suffered as a consequence of inaccuracies in the information provided. Addresses and building names may have changed since the date of listing. Even if a number or name is missing from a listing address it will still be listed. Listing covers both the exterior and the interior and any object or structure fixed to the building. Listing also applies to buildings or structures not physically attached but which are part of the curtilage (or land) of the listed building as long as they were erected before 1 July 1948.

While Historic Environment Scotland is responsible for designating listed buildings, the planning authority is responsible for determining what is covered by the listing, including what is listed through curtilage. However, for listed buildings designated or for listings amended from 1 October 2015, legal exclusions to the listing may apply.

If part of a building is not listed, it will say that it is excluded in the statutory address and in the statement of special interest in the listed building record. The statement will use the word 'excluding' and quote the relevant section of the 1997 Act. Some earlier listed building records may use the word 'excluding', but if the Act is not quoted, the record has not been revised to reflect subsequent legislation.

Listed building consent is required for changes to a listed building which affect its character as a building of special architectural or historic interest. The relevant planning authority is the point of contact for applications for listed building consent.

Find out more about listing and our other designations at You can contact us on 0131 668 8914 or at


There are no images available for this record, you may want to check Canmore for images relating to TILLYFRUSKIE FARMHOUSE, INCLUDING GATES, COURTYARD WALL, BOUNDARY WALLS, ANCILLARY STRUCTURE, LOUPIN'-ON STANE AND CHEESE PRESS

There are no images available for this record.

Search Canmore

Printed: 05/10/2022 00:07