Listed Building

The only legal part of the listing under the Planning (Listing Buildings and Conservation Areas) (Scotland) Act 1997 is the address/name of site. Addresses and building names may have changed since the date of listing – see 'About Listed Buildings' below for more information. The further details below the 'Address/Name of Site' are provided for information purposes only.

Address/Name of Site

MILL OF CLINTER, INCLUDING WEIR, LADE, SECONDARY WHEEL, OUTFALL CHANNEL AND BRIDGELB3053

Status: Designated

Documents

There are no additional online documents for this record.

Summary

Category
B
Group Category Details
100000019 - see notes
Date Added
16/04/1971
Local Authority
Aberdeenshire
Planning Authority
Aberdeenshire
Parish
Birse
NGR
NO 61170 92012
Coordinates
361170, 792012

Description

MILL

1819, with additional storey added 1886. 2-storey, L-plan. Coursed granite rubble with harl-pointing; granite ashlar to S elevation. Long and short dressings and quoins; boarded timber doors.

E (ENTRANCE) ELEVATION: asymmetrical; 4-bay; 2-leaf door to right of ground floor, 2 windows to left of ground floor, horizontal timber of former timber lean-to addition to centre (now demolished), cast-iron drive shaft extension running along outfall channel to outer left; 3 windows to 1st floor; 3 2-pane skylights to attic.

N ELEVATION: asymmetrical; 2-leaf boarded timber door with 4-pane fanlight off-centre to left, reached by flight of stone steps from right, 2-pane skylight to left of attic.

W ELEVATION: asymmetrical; gabled bay to left with opening to ground floor and set in gablehead, window and boarded timber door to right return; recessed bay to outer right with hole for chain from water-regulator.

S ELEVATION: asymmetrical; 8-spoke, low-breast timber and iron paddle wheel to ground floor, with square axles, opening above.

Predominantly 6-pane timber windows. Part-piended grey slate roof with tiled and lead ridges; slate-hung octagonal vent, part missing, to ridge, pig weathervane slipped to eaves to N.

INTERIOR: complete interior survives; machinery installed 1886; includes winnowing machine, hoists and flap hatchdoors, hoppers, shutes, millstones, furnace and drying floor with perforated cast-iron plates.

WEIR AND LADE: weir and lade running from W of Mill.

SECONDARY WHEEL, OUTFALL CHANNEL AND BRIDGE: 6-spoke timber and iron wheel, with square axles to S of principal wheel, in cement faced channel joining rubble-wall outfall to E; small segmental-arched granite bridge to E.

Statement of Special Interest

A-Group with Mill of Clinter Cottage to S, Finzean Bucket Mill and Finzean Sawmill and Turning Mill (see separate listings). The Mill of Clinter was originally one of seven mills on the River Feugh. There is mention of a meal mill at Clinter as early as 1511. The mill has been worked by descendants of the Mortimer family for over 170 years. At one time there was a brew house at the Mill of Clinter. In addition to the rent, the tenants of the mill used to pay the landowner one fat pig. The cast-iron pig on the weathervane is a reminder of this. The smaller 6-spoke wheel probably drove a generator.

References

Bibliography

J Robertson, TOPOGRAPHICAL & MILITARY MAP OF THE COUNTIES OF ABERDEEN: BANFF & KINCARDINE, (1822); 1st (1869) and 2nd (1903) EDITION OS MAPS; J R Hume, THE INDUSTRIAL ARCHAEOLOGY OF SCOTLAND: THE HIGHLANDS AND ISLANDS, Vol 2, (1977), p91; H Hamilton (ed), THE THIRD STATISTICAL ACCOUNT OF SCOTLAND: THE COUNTY OF ABERDEEN, (1960), p421; R Callander, HISTORY IN BIRSE, Vol 4, (1985), p176, 180-181; Information courtesy of Birse Community Trust.

About Listed Buildings

Historic Environment Scotland is responsible for designating sites and places at the national level. These designations are Scheduled monuments, Listed buildings, Inventory of gardens and designed landscapes and Inventory of historic battlefields.

We make recommendations to the Scottish Government about historic marine protected areas, and the Scottish Ministers decide whether to designate.

Listing is the process that identifies, designates and provides statutory protection for buildings of special architectural or historic interest as set out in the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) (Scotland) Act 1997.

We list buildings which are found to be of special architectural or historic interest using the selection guidance published in Designation Policy and Selection Guidance (2019)

Listed building records provide an indication of the special architectural or historic interest of the listed building which has been identified by its statutory address. The description and additional information provided are supplementary and have no legal weight.

These records are not definitive historical accounts or a complete description of the building(s). If part of a building is not described it does not mean it is not listed. The format of the listed building record has changed over time. Earlier records may be brief and some information will not have been recorded.

The legal part of the listing is the address/name of site which is known as the statutory address. Other than the name or address of a listed building, further details are provided for information purposes only. Historic Environment Scotland does not accept any liability for any loss or damage suffered as a consequence of inaccuracies in the information provided. Addresses and building names may have changed since the date of listing. Even if a number or name is missing from a listing address it will still be listed. Listing covers both the exterior and the interior and any object or structure fixed to the building. Listing also applies to buildings or structures not physically attached but which are part of the curtilage (or land) of the listed building as long as they were erected before 1 July 1948.

While Historic Environment Scotland is responsible for designating listed buildings, the planning authority is responsible for determining what is covered by the listing, including what is listed through curtilage. However, for listed buildings designated or for listings amended from 1 October 2015, legal exclusions to the listing may apply.

If part of a building is not listed, it will say that it is excluded in the statutory address and in the statement of special interest in the listed building record. The statement will use the word 'excluding' and quote the relevant section of the 1997 Act. Some earlier listed building records may use the word 'excluding', but if the Act is not quoted, the record has not been revised to reflect subsequent legislation.

Listed building consent is required for changes to a listed building which affect its character as a building of special architectural or historic interest. The relevant planning authority is the point of contact for applications for listed building consent.

Find out more about listing and our other designations at www.historicenvironment.scot/advice-and-support. You can contact us on 0131 668 8914 or at designations@hes.scot.

Images

There are no images available for this record, you may want to check Canmore for images relating to MILL OF CLINTER, INCLUDING WEIR, LADE, SECONDARY WHEEL, OUTFALL CHANNEL AND BRIDGE

There are no images available for this record.

Search Canmore

Printed: 05/10/2022 00:57