Listed Building

The only legal part of the listing under the Planning (Listing Buildings and Conservation Areas) (Scotland) Act 1997 is the address/name of site. Addresses and building names may have changed since the date of listing – see 'About Listed Buildings' below for more information. The further details below the 'Address/Name of Site' are provided for information purposes only.

Address/Name of Site


Status: Designated


There are no additional online documents for this record.


Date Added
Local Authority
Planning Authority
NT 26379 71689
326379, 671689


Arthur Colville (Builder), 1880. 2-storey with basement, 7-bay rectangular-plan triple villa. Squared and snecked rubble; coursed stugged andstone to S (entrance) elevatgion. Base, dividing band, and eaves courses; long and short quoins; bracketed cornice; chamfered reveals.

S (ENTRANCE) ELEVATION: outer villas 2-bay mirrored; central 3-bay villa. Tripartite ashlar doorpieces with carved consoles supporting cornices and round-arched canopies at 2nd and 6th bays; Doorpiece comprising detached capitalled columns with dies supporting openb pediment at 4th bay; panelled doors; plate glass fanlights; single windows above each doorpiece. Full-height canted windows at 1st, 5th and 7th bays. Single windows in remaining bays.

E AND W ELEVATIONS: single windows at principal and 1st floors; secondary entrance and small single window at basement.

Plate glass sash and case windows. Grey slate pitched roof; coped skews; pedimented segmental-arched timber slate-hung dormers above 1st, 5th, 6th, and 7th bays; 6 corniced stacks (2 galblehead, 2 mutual, and 2 ridge); moulded octagonal cans; some original rainwater goods; moulded eaves guttering.

INTERIORS: not seen 1990.

Low saddleback coped wall with replacement railings to street; original cast-iron railings to mutual and boundary wall; original cast-iron handrails to steps up to entrances.

Statement of Special Interest

This triple villa and the neighbouring double villas were built speculatively by Arthur Colville, a builder. The design of the doorpieces was changed from plain pedimented pilasters after submission of the plans to the Dean of Guild.



Dean of Guild 27/10/1880.

About Listed Buildings

Historic Environment Scotland is responsible for designating sites and places at the national level. These designations are Scheduled monuments, Listed buildings, Inventory of gardens and designed landscapes and Inventory of historic battlefields.

We make recommendations to the Scottish Government about historic marine protected areas, and the Scottish Ministers decide whether to designate.

Listing is the process that identifies, designates and provides statutory protection for buildings of special architectural or historic interest as set out in the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) (Scotland) Act 1997.

We list buildings which are found to be of special architectural or historic interest using the selection guidance published in Designation Policy and Selection Guidance (2019)

Listed building records provide an indication of the special architectural or historic interest of the listed building which has been identified by its statutory address. The description and additional information provided are supplementary and have no legal weight.

These records are not definitive historical accounts or a complete description of the building(s). If part of a building is not described it does not mean it is not listed. The format of the listed building record has changed over time. Earlier records may be brief and some information will not have been recorded.

The legal part of the listing is the address/name of site which is known as the statutory address. Other than the name or address of a listed building, further details are provided for information purposes only. Historic Environment Scotland does not accept any liability for any loss or damage suffered as a consequence of inaccuracies in the information provided. Addresses and building names may have changed since the date of listing. Even if a number or name is missing from a listing address it will still be listed. Listing covers both the exterior and the interior and any object or structure fixed to the building. Listing also applies to buildings or structures not physically attached but which are part of the curtilage (or land) of the listed building as long as they were erected before 1 July 1948.

While Historic Environment Scotland is responsible for designating listed buildings, the planning authority is responsible for determining what is covered by the listing, including what is listed through curtilage. However, for listed buildings designated or for listings amended from 1 October 2015, legal exclusions to the listing may apply.

If part of a building is not listed, it will say that it is excluded in the statutory address and in the statement of special interest in the listed building record. The statement will use the word 'excluding' and quote the relevant section of the 1997 Act. Some earlier listed building records may use the word 'excluding', but if the Act is not quoted, the record has not been revised to reflect subsequent legislation.

Listed building consent is required for changes to a listed building which affect its character as a building of special architectural or historic interest. The relevant planning authority is the point of contact for applications for listed building consent.

Find out more about listing and our other designations at You can contact us on 0131 668 8914 or at


There are no images available for this record, you may want to check Canmore for images relating to 26, 26A, 28 AND 30 FOUNTAINHALL ROAD

There are no images available for this record.

Search Canmore

Printed: 03/10/2023 10:46