Listed Building

The only legal part of the listing under the Planning (Listing Buildings and Conservation Areas) (Scotland) Act 1997 is the address/name of site. Addresses and building names may have changed since the date of listing – see 'About Listed Buildings' below for more information. The further details below the 'Address/Name of Site' are provided for information purposes only.

Address/Name of Site

55 LOTHIAN STREET AND 1 BRISTO PLACE, JERICHO HOUSE (FORMER R C CHURCH) INCLUDING RAILINGS AND GATELB30138

Status: Designated

Documents

There are no additional online documents for this record.

Summary

Category
B
Date Added
29/07/1986
Local Authority
Edinburgh
Planning Authority
Edinburgh
Burgh
Edinburgh
NGR
NT 25801 73208
Coordinates
325801, 673208

Description

1834; rebuilt 1937; 1988 internal alterations (to form care home accommodation). 2-storey with basement, rectangular-plan, corner sited former church with 3-bay Perpendicular Gothic SE elevation of 1834, in the manner of James Gillespie Graham and later 11-bay rebuilt elevation to side (SW). Ashlar to principal elevations and coursed rubble with droved sandstone window margins to rear.

SE (LOTHIAN STREET) ELEVATION: cross-finialled gable to slightly

advanced bay to centre, flanked by angle buttresses with crocketed

pinnacles; Gothic 2-leaf timber panelled door with timber crenellation and gothic fanlight above in crocketed hood-mould; window above with

perpendicular tracery. Crenellated flanking bays: windows with perpendicular tracery, flanked by octagonal pinnacled buttresses. Hoodmoulded pointed-arched openings with carved head label stops. Spear-headed cast iron railings and gate.

SW (BRISTO PLACE) ELEVATION: 2 storeys, 11 irregular spaced bays. Windows in splayed, recessed surrounds. 2-leaf timber panelled door with small-pane glazed fanlight in Tudor-arched surround to centre; 2-leaf timber panelled door in moulded surround in 2nd bay from left; further door to outer right and low door to far side right leading to basement. Pitched roof behind parapet wall.

Border-glazed metal casement windows to SW elevation, diamond pane glazing to traceried windows to SE and 16-pane glazing pattern to timber sash and case windows to rear. Pitched slate roof.

INTERIOR (seen 2011): later 20th century alterations to form individual room accommodation for care home residents. 2 staircases dating to 1937 conversion; one to SE gable entrance with trio of statues and one T-plan to rear with plain timber panelled walls. Glazed brick detailing to pavement lights in basement. Exposed riveted cast iron I-beams to basement supporting ground floor.

Statement of Special Interest

A good early 19th century former church with halls prominently corner sited, with a finely detailed Gothic entrance elevation and characterful heavy massed elevation to the SW side forming a large part of the street elevation.

Jericho House was originally built as St Patrick's Roman Catholic Chapel and School in 1834 to seat 700. It is marked as St Mary's RC School on the 1877 Edinburgh Town Plan. From 1926 to 1988 it was used as St Francis Roman Catholic Church.

The church was converted in 1937 to form halls to the lower floor with a church above at which point the stairs to the upper floors we rearranged. The original paired stairs to the main entrance (SE) were replaced by the current single turned stairwell incorporating figurative statues and a new T-plan stair to the E rear section of the building. The building stayed in this form until 1988 when it was converted to become Jericho House, a residential care home for men. At this point the church to the upper floor was subdivided into 16 individual rooms for residents. The church is linked internally at half landings to the stairwell of the adjacent tenement, 49-53 Lothian Street (see separate listing), which is used as offices.

The planned street triangle of Forrest Road, Bristo Place and Teviot Row was conceived as part of Thomas Hamilton's (1784-1858) vision for the new Southern Approach Road linking Princes Street to George Square and the Meadows (via the Mound, Bank Street and a the new George IV Bridge). The City Improvement Act brought in by Lord Provost Chambers in 1867 was to implement better housing standards and to replace the medieval slum areas in Edinburgh's Old Town.

List Description updated at resurvey (2011-12.)

References

Bibliography

Town Plan of Edinburgh (1849-53). 1st Edition Ordnance Survey Map (1854). Town Plan of Edinburgh (1877). J Gifford, C McWilliam and D Walker, Buildings of Scotland, Edinburgh (1984) p168.

About Listed Buildings

Historic Environment Scotland is responsible for designating sites and places at the national level. These designations are Scheduled monuments, Listed buildings, Inventory of gardens and designed landscapes and Inventory of historic battlefields.

We make recommendations to the Scottish Government about historic marine protected areas, and the Scottish Ministers decide whether to designate.

Listing is the process that identifies, designates and provides statutory protection for buildings of special architectural or historic interest as set out in the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) (Scotland) Act 1997.

We list buildings which are found to be of special architectural or historic interest using the selection guidance published in Designation Policy and Selection Guidance (2019)

Listed building records provide an indication of the special architectural or historic interest of the listed building which has been identified by its statutory address. The description and additional information provided are supplementary and have no legal weight.

These records are not definitive historical accounts or a complete description of the building(s). If part of a building is not described it does not mean it is not listed. The format of the listed building record has changed over time. Earlier records may be brief and some information will not have been recorded.

The legal part of the listing is the address/name of site which is known as the statutory address. Other than the name or address of a listed building, further details are provided for information purposes only. Historic Environment Scotland does not accept any liability for any loss or damage suffered as a consequence of inaccuracies in the information provided. Addresses and building names may have changed since the date of listing. Even if a number or name is missing from a listing address it will still be listed. Listing covers both the exterior and the interior and any object or structure fixed to the building. Listing also applies to buildings or structures not physically attached but which are part of the curtilage (or land) of the listed building as long as they were erected before 1 July 1948.

While Historic Environment Scotland is responsible for designating listed buildings, the planning authority is responsible for determining what is covered by the listing, including what is listed through curtilage. However, for listed buildings designated or for listings amended from 1 October 2015, legal exclusions to the listing may apply.

If part of a building is not listed, it will say that it is excluded in the statutory address and in the statement of special interest in the listed building record. The statement will use the word 'excluding' and quote the relevant section of the 1997 Act. Some earlier listed building records may use the word 'excluding', but if the Act is not quoted, the record has not been revised to reflect subsequent legislation.

Listed building consent is required for changes to a listed building which affect its character as a building of special architectural or historic interest. The relevant planning authority is the point of contact for applications for listed building consent.

Find out more about listing and our other designations at www.historicenvironment.scot/advice-and-support. You can contact us on 0131 668 8914 or at designations@hes.scot.

Images

There are no images available for this record, you may want to check Canmore for images relating to 55 LOTHIAN STREET AND 1 BRISTO PLACE, JERICHO HOUSE (FORMER R C CHURCH) INCLUDING RAILINGS AND GATE

There are no images available for this record.

Search Canmore

Printed: 25/01/2022 08:34