Listed Building

The only legal part of the listing under the Planning (Listing Buildings and Conservation Areas) (Scotland) Act 1997 is the address/name of site. Addresses and building names may have changed since the date of listing – see 'About Listed Buildings' below for more information. The further details below the 'Address/Name of Site' are provided for information purposes only.

Address/Name of Site


Status: Designated


There are no additional online documents for this record.


Date Added
Local Authority
Planning Authority
NT 25029 73815
325029, 673815


Robert Rowand Anderson, 1882-4; reconstructed by Ketley, Goold & Clark (with Simpson & Brown), 1978-81. Substantial 4-storey and attic, 5-bay Free Renaissance facade. Polished cream ashlar sandstone (cleaned). Architraved openings. Ground floor reconstructed (removing later shop) reusing, to inner right bay, original arched doorpiece framed by fluted pilasters and rosette frieze, and flanked by pedestals with diminutive cast-iron lamp standards; this flanked by corniced doors; 2 left bays with shallow canted plate glass shop window. 1st floor with consoled ashlar balcony running full width with turned balusters. To left, canted window continues through 1st and 2nd floors with dentilled cornice and balustraded parapet. Windows pedimented at 1st floor, alternately triangular and segmental. Corniced at 2nd floor with shaped aprons; 2 right windows with consoled balustraded balcony.

3rd floor windows shorter. Sculpted festooned frieze; heavy modillioned cornice. 5 pedimented dormers. Glass curtain wall added to E.

Timber sash and case plate glass windows. Piended and platform red tiled roof with gables to sides; pedimented panelled ashlar stack survives to E.

INTERIOR: modern department store incorporates original elaborate carved timber stair turning round 2-storey arcade (but moved to different position) with 3 stained glass windows by James Ballantyne and Son, 1884.

Statement of Special Interest

The Conservative Club was founded in the late 1870s, and its success was such that the site in Princes Street was acquired in 1880, and the building opened on the 1st February 1884. The builder was Arthur Colville, and the cost ?32 000 (plus ?38 000 for the site and furnishings). Now occupied by Debenhams and extending through to the upper floors of Nos 109-110 (see separate listings).



BUILDER 7 October, 2 December 1882. BRITISH ARCHITECT 22 February 1889. Gifford, McWilliam and Walker EDINBURGH (1988) pp312-3. Sam McKinstry ROWAND ANDERSON EUP (1991) pp96-9.

About Listed Buildings

Historic Environment Scotland is responsible for designating sites and places at the national level. These designations are Scheduled monuments, Listed buildings, Inventory of gardens and designed landscapes and Inventory of historic battlefields.

We make recommendations to the Scottish Government about historic marine protected areas, and the Scottish Ministers decide whether to designate.

Listing is the process that identifies, designates and provides statutory protection for buildings of special architectural or historic interest as set out in the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) (Scotland) Act 1997.

We list buildings which are found to be of special architectural or historic interest using the selection guidance published in Designation Policy and Selection Guidance (2019)

Listed building records provide an indication of the special architectural or historic interest of the listed building which has been identified by its statutory address. The description and additional information provided are supplementary and have no legal weight.

These records are not definitive historical accounts or a complete description of the building(s). If part of a building is not described it does not mean it is not listed. The format of the listed building record has changed over time. Earlier records may be brief and some information will not have been recorded.

The legal part of the listing is the address/name of site which is known as the statutory address. Other than the name or address of a listed building, further details are provided for information purposes only. Historic Environment Scotland does not accept any liability for any loss or damage suffered as a consequence of inaccuracies in the information provided. Addresses and building names may have changed since the date of listing. Even if a number or name is missing from a listing address it will still be listed. Listing covers both the exterior and the interior and any object or structure fixed to the building. Listing also applies to buildings or structures not physically attached but which are part of the curtilage (or land) of the listed building as long as they were erected before 1 July 1948.

While Historic Environment Scotland is responsible for designating listed buildings, the planning authority is responsible for determining what is covered by the listing, including what is listed through curtilage. However, for listed buildings designated or for listings amended from 1 October 2015, legal exclusions to the listing may apply.

If part of a building is not listed, it will say that it is excluded in the statutory address and in the statement of special interest in the listed building record. The statement will use the word 'excluding' and quote the relevant section of the 1997 Act. Some earlier listed building records may use the word 'excluding', but if the Act is not quoted, the record has not been revised to reflect subsequent legislation.

Listed building consent is required for changes to a listed building which affect its character as a building of special architectural or historic interest. The relevant planning authority is the point of contact for applications for listed building consent.

Find out more about listing and our other designations at You can contact us on 0131 668 8914 or at


There are no images available for this record, you may want to check Canmore for images relating to 112 PRINCES STREET, DEBENHAM'S (FORMER CONSERVATIVE CLUB)

There are no images available for this record.

Search Canmore

Printed: 26/02/2024 18:18