Listed Building

The only legal part of the listing under the Planning (Listing Buildings and Conservation Areas) (Scotland) Act 1997 is the address/name of site. Addresses and building names may have changed since the date of listing – see 'About Listed Buildings' below for more information. The further details below the 'Address/Name of Site' are provided for information purposes only.

Address/Name of Site


Status: Designated


There are no additional online documents for this record.


Date Added
Local Authority
Planning Authority
Chapel Of Garioch
NJ 70508 25859
370508, 825859


Originally 1680 for James Elphinstone 3-storey with

circular angle tower (contained stair now gutted) 4-window

(originally 5?) E. elevation to court; circa 1740 2-storey N.

side of court added, irregular fenestration to N. with

buttressed 1-window bay of slight projection. Circa 1760

original block extended S., 2-storeys in height of original

3 with 3-window S. bow, 2-storey S.E. wing with 4-window S.

elevation added slightly later; circa 1770-80 2-storey piend

roofed drawing room wing added at S.W., fine rococo ceiling,

canted bay appears to be slightly later addition; circa 1785

matching N.W. dining room wing added, with 1-window

pedimented and quoined section between containing entrance

hall and staircase forming symmetrical W. front. Staircase

very plain, lit by ogee-capped lantern light, good ceiling

of late Adam type in dining room applied from moulds and

perhaps a few years later than the room itself. Diagonally

set square piend-roofed game larders flanking gate circa

1800, but chamfered archway of gate itself probably original

1680 work. Cross-corridor in court and poor stuccoed porch at

W. front unfortunate Victorian additions. Harled with margins throughout, coped chimneys, woodwork almost entirely 18th

century except in N. wing.

Statement of Special Interest

Unusually complex building history. The plasterwork is among

the best of its date in Aberdeenshire; the drawing room

ceiling may be compared with the recently destroyed Odd-

fellows' Hall in Queen Street Aberdeen. The estate was known

as Logie Elphinstone until 1903 when it was sold to Col.

George Milne.



N.S.A. v. XII p. 571 Scottish Field v. XVII no 97 (Jan 1911)

Henderson, Epitaphs and Inscriptions p. 284.

Davidson: Inverurie and the Earldom of Garioch p. 413.

A View of the Diocese of Aberdeen, 1732 ('a neat little house').

About Listed Buildings

Historic Environment Scotland is responsible for designating sites and places at the national level. These designations are Scheduled monuments, Listed buildings, Inventory of gardens and designed landscapes and Inventory of historic battlefields.

We make recommendations to the Scottish Government about historic marine protected areas, and the Scottish Ministers decide whether to designate.

Listing is the process that identifies, designates and provides statutory protection for buildings of special architectural or historic interest as set out in the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) (Scotland) Act 1997.

We list buildings which are found to be of special architectural or historic interest using the selection guidance published in Designation Policy and Selection Guidance (2019)

Listed building records provide an indication of the special architectural or historic interest of the listed building which has been identified by its statutory address. The description and additional information provided are supplementary and have no legal weight.

These records are not definitive historical accounts or a complete description of the building(s). If part of a building is not described it does not mean it is not listed. The format of the listed building record has changed over time. Earlier records may be brief and some information will not have been recorded.

The legal part of the listing is the address/name of site which is known as the statutory address. Other than the name or address of a listed building, further details are provided for information purposes only. Historic Environment Scotland does not accept any liability for any loss or damage suffered as a consequence of inaccuracies in the information provided. Addresses and building names may have changed since the date of listing. Even if a number or name is missing from a listing address it will still be listed. Listing covers both the exterior and the interior and any object or structure fixed to the building. Listing also applies to buildings or structures not physically attached but which are part of the curtilage (or land) of the listed building as long as they were erected before 1 July 1948.

While Historic Environment Scotland is responsible for designating listed buildings, the planning authority is responsible for determining what is covered by the listing, including what is listed through curtilage. However, for listed buildings designated or for listings amended from 1 October 2015, legal exclusions to the listing may apply.

If part of a building is not listed, it will say that it is excluded in the statutory address and in the statement of special interest in the listed building record. The statement will use the word 'excluding' and quote the relevant section of the 1997 Act. Some earlier listed building records may use the word 'excluding', but if the Act is not quoted, the record has not been revised to reflect subsequent legislation.

Listed building consent is required for changes to a listed building which affect its character as a building of special architectural or historic interest. The relevant planning authority is the point of contact for applications for listed building consent.

Find out more about listing and our other designations at You can contact us on 0131 668 8914 or at


There are no images available for this record, you may want to check Canmore for images relating to LOGIE HOUSE HOTEL

There are no images available for this record.

Search Canmore

Printed: 05/10/2022 01:07