Listed Building

The only legal part of the listing under the Planning (Listing Buildings and Conservation Areas) (Scotland) Act 1997 is the address/name of site. Addresses and building names may have changed since the date of listing – see 'About Listed Buildings' below for more information. The further details below the 'Address/Name of Site' are provided for information purposes only.

Address/Name of Site

33-39 (INCLUSIVE NOS) CHARLOTTE SQUARE AND 142-146 GEORGE STREET WITH RAILINGS AND LAMP STANDARDSLB28506

Status: Designated

Documents

There are no additional online documents for this record.

Summary

Category
A
Date Added
03/03/1966
Local Authority
Edinburgh
Planning Authority
Edinburgh
Burgh
Edinburgh
NGR
NT 24796 73844
Coordinates
324796, 673844

Description

Robert Adam, 1791; design amended by Robert Reid, 1810; later attics; later alterations including Lorimer & Matthew, 1939. Symmetrical 3-storey basement and attic 19-bay neo-classical palace block over half of which is now Roxburgh Hotel; 1 of pair flanking entry to George Street. Polished cream sandstone ashlar. Rock-faced basement; V-jointed rustication at ground floor; cill course to 1st and 2nd floors; cornice. Round-headed tripartite doorways, some with radiating glazing.

W (CHARLOTTE SQUARE) ELEVATION: 5-bay centrepiece, arcaded at ground with round-headed windows and door at centre; outer bays slightly projecting at ground with giant Ionic columns to upper floors with balustrades between column bases; entablature and cornice; at 1st floor, centre window with consoled pediment, flanking windows corniced. 3-bay end pavilions with tripartite windows to centre at ground and 1st floors, latter with columns, blind balustrade in segmental-arched recess; pair of festooned panels at 1st floor; doorways to inner bays. Bay adjoining N pavilion with pilastered porch added 1963. Pyramidal roof to S pavilion, early 20th century mansard to N pavilion and all

5 inner bays; pair of canted piend-roofed dormers added at centre, bipartite dormer to right, box dormer with 3 segmental-headed windows to No 35.

S (GEORGE STREET) ELEVATION: 5-bay, with pilastered ashlar 3-bay corniced extension at ground (Lorimer and Matthew, 1939). 3 right bays with pediment (facing that opposite) and timber canted window to left, blind windows to right; mansard roof with single dormer. 2 left bays narrower, with taller windows at 2nd floor, and cornice continuing that at 134 George Street; bowed tripartite slate-hung dormer.

Coursed rubble gable end to S with windows at centre.

Modern extension to rear of Nos 33-35.

Timber 12-pane sash and case windows, some plate glass to hotel. Corniced ashlar stacks.

INTERIOR: Nos 35-39 integrated and substantially altered as hotel.

RAILINGS, LAMP STANDARDS: cast-iron spearhead railings and original lamp standards.

Statement of Special Interest

The centrepieces were redesigned by Robert Reid, without Adam's large lunette windows which relate awkwardly on the W side of the square with breaks between the houses. Nos 38 and 39 were first linked to form the Roxburghe Hotel in the 1870s, the other houses being added subsequently. There were considerable internal alterations in 1939, at which time the blind windows to Charlotte Square at ground were opened up. No 33 was a day school for much of the 19th century. The door and platt have been removed to No 37, and the former door blocked as a window at No 39.

References

Bibliography

RCAHMS INVENTORY no 140. MacRae Her 17. BOOK OF THE OLD EDINBURGH CLUB XXIII. Bolton THE ARCHITECTURE OF ROBERT AND JAMES ADAM (1927). A J Youngson THE MAKING OF CLASSICAL EDINBURGH (1966) pp93-7. Gifford, McWilliam and Walker EDINBURGH (1988) pp296-7. Dean of Guild plans

11 August, 15 September 1939, 8 February 1963.

About Listed Buildings

Historic Environment Scotland is responsible for designating sites and places at the national level. These designations are Scheduled monuments, Listed buildings, Inventory of gardens and designed landscapes and Inventory of historic battlefields.

We make recommendations to the Scottish Government about historic marine protected areas, and the Scottish Ministers decide whether to designate.

Listing is the process that identifies, designates and provides statutory protection for buildings of special architectural or historic interest as set out in the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) (Scotland) Act 1997.

We list buildings which are found to be of special architectural or historic interest using the selection guidance published in Designation Policy and Selection Guidance (2019)

Listed building records provide an indication of the special architectural or historic interest of the listed building which has been identified by its statutory address. The description and additional information provided are supplementary and have no legal weight.

These records are not definitive historical accounts or a complete description of the building(s). If part of a building is not described it does not mean it is not listed. The format of the listed building record has changed over time. Earlier records may be brief and some information will not have been recorded.

The legal part of the listing is the address/name of site which is known as the statutory address. Other than the name or address of a listed building, further details are provided for information purposes only. Historic Environment Scotland does not accept any liability for any loss or damage suffered as a consequence of inaccuracies in the information provided. Addresses and building names may have changed since the date of listing. Even if a number or name is missing from a listing address it will still be listed. Listing covers both the exterior and the interior and any object or structure fixed to the building. Listing also applies to buildings or structures not physically attached but which are part of the curtilage (or land) of the listed building as long as they were erected before 1 July 1948.

While Historic Environment Scotland is responsible for designating listed buildings, the planning authority is responsible for determining what is covered by the listing, including what is listed through curtilage. However, for listed buildings designated or for listings amended from 1 October 2015, legal exclusions to the listing may apply.

If part of a building is not listed, it will say that it is excluded in the statutory address and in the statement of special interest in the listed building record. The statement will use the word 'excluding' and quote the relevant section of the 1997 Act. Some earlier listed building records may use the word 'excluding', but if the Act is not quoted, the record has not been revised to reflect subsequent legislation.

Listed building consent is required for changes to a listed building which affect its character as a building of special architectural or historic interest. The relevant planning authority is the point of contact for applications for listed building consent.

Find out more about listing and our other designations at www.historicenvironment.scot/advice-and-support. You can contact us on 0131 668 8914 or at designations@hes.scot.

Images

There are no images available for this record, you may want to check Canmore for images relating to 33-39 (INCLUSIVE NOS) CHARLOTTE SQUARE AND 142-146 GEORGE STREET WITH RAILINGS AND LAMP STANDARDS

There are no images available for this record.

Search Canmore

Printed: 24/07/2024 03:46