Listed Building

The only legal part of the listing under the Planning (Listing Buildings and Conservation Areas) (Scotland) Act 1997 is the address/name of site. Addresses and building names may have changed since the date of listing – see 'About Listed Buildings' below for more information. The further details below the 'Address/Name of Site' are provided for information purposes only.

Address/Name of Site

18-40 (EVEN NOS) ALBANY STREET, INCLUDING ANCILLARY STRUCTURES AND RAILINGSLB28230

Status: Designated

Documents

There are no additional online documents for this record.

Summary

Category
A
Group Category Details
100000019 - see notes
Date Added
13/09/1964
Supplementary Information Updated
31/03/1999
Local Authority
Edinburgh
Planning Authority
Edinburgh
Burgh
Edinburgh
NGR
NT 25652 74443
Coordinates
325652, 674443

Description

Earlier 19th century. 2-storey, attic and basement, 36-bay classical terrace, stepped down to E. Polished ashlar sandstone; V-jointed rustication at principal floor; rockfaced rustication at basement. Base course; band course between basement and principal floor, principal and 1st floors; cill course at 1st floor; cornice and blocking course at 1st floor. Ashlar steps and entrance platts oversailing basement.

S (PRINCIPAL) ELEVATION: terrace comprising 12 3-bay houses with irregular disposition of 4-panel timber doors with plate glass and radial rectangular fanlights in bays at either right of left at principal floor. Windows in remaining bays at principal floor; regular fenestration to floors above and basement, with cills lowered at Nos 20-28 and No 36. Flagged basement area.

W ELEVATION: adjoining terrace, see separate listing (8-16 Albany Street).

E (ALBANY LANE) ELEVATION: 2-bay coursed rubble gable, chamfered at NE corner. Windows in bay to right at all floors, windows in bay to left at basement and attic. Coped coursed rubble wall to right.

Variety of timber sash and case windows. Decorative cast-iron window guards in bays at 1st floor at Nos 20 and 36, and in bays at left and right at 1st floor of No 22; decorative cast-iron window guards spanning bays at 1st floor at Nos 24, 26 and 28. Grey slate roofs. Pairs of polygonally piended dormers at Nos 18, 32, 34 and 36; rectangular dormer at No 26; pairs of slate-hung bow-fronted dormers at Nos 20, 22, 24, 28, 30, 38 and 40. Cast-iron rainwater goods. Variety of rendered and broached ashlar ridge stacks and coursed rubble gablehead stack, with broached ashlar quoins; coped, with circular cans.

INTERIORS: not seen, 1998.

ANCILLARY STRUCTURES: random rubble former coach houses with droved ashlar dressings to rear of Nos 28 and 32, with N entrance elevation, linked by single storey garage in modern slapping; single storey and attic, 2-bay to left, infilled segmental-arched opening to left at ground floor, with later slapping comprising modern garage door and metal lintel, vertically-boarded folding doors with stone lintel to right at ground floor, boarded window to right at attic, blank W gable, coped skews; single-storey and attic to right, with red brick eaves course, comprising modern vertically-boarded sliding garage door at ground floor, window to right at attic, E gable not seen, 1998.

RAILINGS: ashlar copes surmounted by cast-iron railings with spear-headed and urn finials.

Statement of Special Interest

Part of the Edinburgh New Town A Group. The building of Albany Street started in 1801. It did not form part of Reid and Sibbald's first extension of the New Town, but was incorporate into it, Abercromby Place and Heriot Row being laid out on the same axis. Considerable difficulty was encountered in clearing feuars from the north-western area, for which Bonnar did not prepare a feu plan until February 1815.

No 34 was James Gillespie Graham's house, and has interior gothic plasterwork of some opulence.

References

Bibliography

Youngson, THE MAKING OF CLASSICAL EDINBURGH (1966), p110; Gifford, McWilliam and Walker, EDINBURGH (1984), p340; McKean, EDINBURGH (1992), p108; MacRae Heritors 38; Feu plan, Thomas Bonnar, February, 1815.

About Listed Buildings

Historic Environment Scotland is responsible for designating sites and places at the national level. These designations are Scheduled monuments, Listed buildings, Inventory of gardens and designed landscapes and Inventory of historic battlefields.

We make recommendations to the Scottish Government about historic marine protected areas, and the Scottish Ministers decide whether to designate.

Listing is the process that identifies, designates and provides statutory protection for buildings of special architectural or historic interest as set out in the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) (Scotland) Act 1997.

We list buildings which are found to be of special architectural or historic interest using the selection guidance published in Designation Policy and Selection Guidance (2019)

Listed building records provide an indication of the special architectural or historic interest of the listed building which has been identified by its statutory address. The description and additional information provided are supplementary and have no legal weight.

These records are not definitive historical accounts or a complete description of the building(s). If part of a building is not described it does not mean it is not listed. The format of the listed building record has changed over time. Earlier records may be brief and some information will not have been recorded.

The legal part of the listing is the address/name of site which is known as the statutory address. Other than the name or address of a listed building, further details are provided for information purposes only. Historic Environment Scotland does not accept any liability for any loss or damage suffered as a consequence of inaccuracies in the information provided. Addresses and building names may have changed since the date of listing. Even if a number or name is missing from a listing address it will still be listed. Listing covers both the exterior and the interior and any object or structure fixed to the building. Listing also applies to buildings or structures not physically attached but which are part of the curtilage (or land) of the listed building as long as they were erected before 1 July 1948.

While Historic Environment Scotland is responsible for designating listed buildings, the planning authority is responsible for determining what is covered by the listing, including what is listed through curtilage. However, for listed buildings designated or for listings amended from 1 October 2015, legal exclusions to the listing may apply.

If part of a building is not listed, it will say that it is excluded in the statutory address and in the statement of special interest in the listed building record. The statement will use the word 'excluding' and quote the relevant section of the 1997 Act. Some earlier listed building records may use the word 'excluding', but if the Act is not quoted, the record has not been revised to reflect subsequent legislation.

Listed building consent is required for changes to a listed building which affect its character as a building of special architectural or historic interest. The relevant planning authority is the point of contact for applications for listed building consent.

Find out more about listing and our other designations at www.historicenvironment.scot/advice-and-support. You can contact us on 0131 668 8914 or at designations@hes.scot.

Images

There are no images available for this record, you may want to check Canmore for images relating to 18-40 (EVEN NOS) ALBANY STREET, INCLUDING ANCILLARY STRUCTURES AND RAILINGS

There are no images available for this record.

Search Canmore

Printed: 20/05/2024 06:33