Listed Building

The only legal part of the listing under the Planning (Listing Buildings and Conservation Areas) (Scotland) Act 1997 is the address/name of site. Addresses and building names may have changed since the date of listing – see 'About Listed Buildings' below for more information. The further details below the 'Address/Name of Site' are provided for information purposes only.

Address/Name of Site

232 MARIONVILLE ROAD, MARIONVILLE, INCLUDING BOUNDARY WALLS, RAILINGS AND GATESLB28089

Status: Designated

Documents

There are no additional online documents for this record.

Summary

Category
A
Date Added
14/12/1970
Supplementary Information Updated
12/09/1997
Local Authority
Edinburgh
Planning Authority
Edinburgh
Burgh
Edinburgh
NGR
NT 28047 74598
Coordinates
328047, 674598

Description

Mid 18th century with internal alterations, Reginald Fairlie & Partners, 1958-59. 2 storeys, basement, cellar and attic. 5-bay classical villa. Squared and coursed sandstone, rubble to sides and rear. Eaves cornice on brackets. Large asymmetrically placed dormer.

N (PRINCIPAL) ELEVATION: symmetrical. Basement entrance door with plain 3-light panel above, dressed stone surround. Windows 12-pane sash with dressed, architraved surrounds. Bowed stair with slender cast-iron balustrade to central architraved doorpiece on piano nobile, with traceried fanlight. Door and windows corniced. 2nd floor windows as basement. Quoined ends.

W ELEVATION: 3-bay. Basement with single small sash window to centre. 1st floor with window to centre, large window to left, blocked window to right. 2nd floor with blind window to centre, larger windows to left and right. All with dressed, raised margin. Large coursed stone wallhead stack with cornice to centre above eaves.

S ELEVATION: 3-bay. Steps down to central cellar entrance door, plain with rectangular light. Blind opening to right. Windows to basement, 1st and 2nd floor, those at 1st floor taller. Shallow, decorative cast-iron balconies to 1st floor windows. Additional window between centre and left bays at 1st floor. Port hole opening to right of centre bay at ground floor.

E ELEVATION: 3-bay. Narrow centre door, 4-pane light above, ashlar surround. 1st floor with windows to centre and left, blind to right, 2nd floor all blind. Chimney stack to match W.

Piended roof, grey slates with prominent bowed dormer offset to left.

INTERIOR: fine classical decorative scheme including following; rich plaster decorations to entrance hall, fluted Corinthian columns in corners, entablature with architrave, frieze with pateras, cornice with varied decoration. Vaulted ceiling with rib, bead and lattice mouldings. Ceiling above 1958 staircase with shallow dome with key-pattern base on pendentives and lunettes, with cornice. Varied patterns to plasterwork. Single room 2nd floor opening on NW and S fronts. Doorcase with Corinthian pilasters and entablature; richly decorated cornice around room with coving above; classical timber chimneypiece.

BOUNDARY WALL: rubble stone to NE & W, with wrought-iron gates to N. Later outbuildings to SE.

Statement of Special Interest

Roman Catholic Church of SS Ninian and Triduana within grounds to W. House owned by Archdiocese since 1928. Marionville built for the Misses Ramsay (milliners), named after a niece.

References

Bibliography

Gifford, McWilliam, Walker, Wilson, Buildings of Scotland, EDINBURGH, p661.

About Listed Buildings

Historic Environment Scotland is responsible for designating sites and places at the national level. These designations are Scheduled monuments, Listed buildings, Inventory of gardens and designed landscapes and Inventory of historic battlefields.

We make recommendations to the Scottish Government about historic marine protected areas, and the Scottish Ministers decide whether to designate.

Listing is the process that identifies, designates and provides statutory protection for buildings of special architectural or historic interest as set out in the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) (Scotland) Act 1997.

We list buildings which are found to be of special architectural or historic interest using the selection guidance published in Designation Policy and Selection Guidance (2019)

Listed building records provide an indication of the special architectural or historic interest of the listed building which has been identified by its statutory address. The description and additional information provided are supplementary and have no legal weight.

These records are not definitive historical accounts or a complete description of the building(s). If part of a building is not described it does not mean it is not listed. The format of the listed building record has changed over time. Earlier records may be brief and some information will not have been recorded.

The legal part of the listing is the address/name of site which is known as the statutory address. Other than the name or address of a listed building, further details are provided for information purposes only. Historic Environment Scotland does not accept any liability for any loss or damage suffered as a consequence of inaccuracies in the information provided. Addresses and building names may have changed since the date of listing. Even if a number or name is missing from a listing address it will still be listed. Listing covers both the exterior and the interior and any object or structure fixed to the building. Listing also applies to buildings or structures not physically attached but which are part of the curtilage (or land) of the listed building as long as they were erected before 1 July 1948.

While Historic Environment Scotland is responsible for designating listed buildings, the planning authority is responsible for determining what is covered by the listing, including what is listed through curtilage. However, for listed buildings designated or for listings amended from 1 October 2015, legal exclusions to the listing may apply.

If part of a building is not listed, it will say that it is excluded in the statutory address and in the statement of special interest in the listed building record. The statement will use the word 'excluding' and quote the relevant section of the 1997 Act. Some earlier listed building records may use the word 'excluding', but if the Act is not quoted, the record has not been revised to reflect subsequent legislation.

Listed building consent is required for changes to a listed building which affect its character as a building of special architectural or historic interest. The relevant planning authority is the point of contact for applications for listed building consent.

Find out more about listing and our other designations at www.historicenvironment.scot/advice-and-support. You can contact us on 0131 668 8914 or at designations@hes.scot.

Images

There are no images available for this record, you may want to check Canmore for images relating to 232 MARIONVILLE ROAD, MARIONVILLE, INCLUDING BOUNDARY WALLS, RAILINGS AND GATES

There are no images available for this record.

Search Canmore

Printed: 07/08/2022 16:46