Listed Building

The only legal part of the listing under the Planning (Listing Buildings and Conservation Areas) (Scotland) Act 1997 is the address/name of site. Addresses and building names may have changed since the date of listing – see 'About Listed Buildings' below for more information. The further details below the 'Address/Name of Site' are provided for information purposes only.

Address/Name of Site

The Colinton Column and engraved stone plaque, Redford Road, EdinburghLB27809

Status: Designated

Documents

There are no additional online documents for this record.

Summary

Category
B
Date Added
14/12/1970
Last Date Amended
04/11/2021
Local Authority
Edinburgh
Planning Authority
Edinburgh
Burgh
Edinburgh
NGR
NT 22651 68646
Coordinates
322651, 668646

Description

The Colinton Column and engraved stone plaque is a monument located on Redford Road, Edinburgh, adjacent to the entrance to the Dreghorn Barrack complex. It is built of ashlar sandstone and comprises a cluster of four engaged Roman Ionic columns on a five-stepped octagonal plinth. On top of the pillar is an Ionic entablature with pulminated frieze above which are four engraved panels. The pillar is topped by a pyramidal cap with a weathervane. Adjacent to the monument is another engraved stone slab, bearing an inscription in English and Latin.

The monument was erected by Robert Andrew Macfie around 1886, using material that previously was part of the William Adam-designed Royal Infirmary building, which was demolished earlier that year. The reused elements include the columns and capitals, the weathervane and the entablature. The engraved panels near the top of the pillar record four historical military campaigns that passed through the area, including the Romans, Cromwell 1650, Covenanters 1666 and Charles 1745. The inscription on the adjacent stone plaque comprises a poem in English written by Macfie, and a short dedication by him in Latin to General Charles Gordon of Khartoum, who died in 1885.

Statement of Special Interest

The Colinton Column meets the criteria of special architectural or historic interest for the following reasons:

  • The Colinton Column is a relatively unusual design for a late 19th century monument, a result of its reuse of earlier 18th century ornamental stonework.
  • It is unusual as a commemorative monument in its marking of several different groups that had a historic presence within the area, instead of a single group, individual or event.
  • It has a tangible link to the work of William Adam, specifically his demolished Royal Infirmary building.
  • Although the surrounding area has changed through development, the column retains a reasonable sense of its original rural setting.

Statutory address and listed building record revised in 2021. Previously listed as 'REDFORD ROAD, COVENANTERS' MONUMENT'.

References

Bibliography

Canmore: http://canmore.org.uk/ CANMORE ID 144595

Printed Sources

Gifford, McWilliam and Walker, BUILDINGS OF SCOTLAND: EDINBURGH, p516.

John Gifford, WILLIAM ADAM 1689-1786 (1989), pp170-172 for information on the Royal Infirmary.

Michael Cant, VILLAGES OF EDINBURGH, VOL 2, p23.

Online sources

The Scotsman, 18 May 1886

https://www.britishnewspaperarchive.co.uk/viewer/bl/0000540/18860518/120/0004

[Last accessed 20 July 2021]

The Scotsman, 14 April 1936

https://www.britishnewspaperarchive.co.uk/viewer/bl/0000540/19360414/336/0008

[Last accessed 20 July 2021]

About Listed Buildings

Historic Environment Scotland is responsible for designating sites and places at the national level. These designations are Scheduled monuments, Listed buildings, Inventory of gardens and designed landscapes and Inventory of historic battlefields.

We make recommendations to the Scottish Government about historic marine protected areas, and the Scottish Ministers decide whether to designate.

Listing is the process that identifies, designates and provides statutory protection for buildings of special architectural or historic interest as set out in the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) (Scotland) Act 1997.

We list buildings which are found to be of special architectural or historic interest using the selection guidance published in Designation Policy and Selection Guidance (2019)

Listed building records provide an indication of the special architectural or historic interest of the listed building which has been identified by its statutory address. The description and additional information provided are supplementary and have no legal weight.

These records are not definitive historical accounts or a complete description of the building(s). If part of a building is not described it does not mean it is not listed. The format of the listed building record has changed over time. Earlier records may be brief and some information will not have been recorded.

The legal part of the listing is the address/name of site which is known as the statutory address. Other than the name or address of a listed building, further details are provided for information purposes only. Historic Environment Scotland does not accept any liability for any loss or damage suffered as a consequence of inaccuracies in the information provided. Addresses and building names may have changed since the date of listing. Even if a number or name is missing from a listing address it will still be listed. Listing covers both the exterior and the interior and any object or structure fixed to the building. Listing also applies to buildings or structures not physically attached but which are part of the curtilage (or land) of the listed building as long as they were erected before 1 July 1948.

While Historic Environment Scotland is responsible for designating listed buildings, the planning authority is responsible for determining what is covered by the listing, including what is listed through curtilage. However, for listed buildings designated or for listings amended from 1 October 2015, legal exclusions to the listing may apply.

If part of a building is not listed, it will say that it is excluded in the statutory address and in the statement of special interest in the listed building record. The statement will use the word 'excluding' and quote the relevant section of the 1997 Act. Some earlier listed building records may use the word 'excluding', but if the Act is not quoted, the record has not been revised to reflect subsequent legislation.

Listed building consent is required for changes to a listed building which affect its character as a building of special architectural or historic interest. The relevant planning authority is the point of contact for applications for listed building consent.

Find out more about listing and our other designations at www.historicenvironment.scot/advice-and-support. You can contact us on 0131 668 8914 or at designations@hes.scot.

Images

There are no images available for this record, you may want to check Canmore for images relating to The Colinton Column and engraved stone plaque, Redford Road, Edinburgh

There are no images available for this record.

Search Canmore

Printed: 30/06/2022 10:34