Listed Building

The only legal part of the listing under the Planning (Listing Buildings and Conservation Areas) (Scotland) Act 1997 is the address/name of site. Addresses and building names may have changed since the date of listing – see 'About Listed Buildings' below for more information. The further details below the 'Address/Name of Site' are provided for information purposes only.

Address/Name of Site

CRAIGLEITH ROAD, ROYAL VICTORIA HOSPITAL, GATEWAY LODGELB27752

Status: Designated

Documents

There are no additional online documents for this record.

Summary

Category
B
Date Added
14/12/1970
Local Authority
Edinburgh
Planning Authority
Edinburgh
Burgh
Edinburgh
NGR
NT 23350 74580
Coordinates
323350, 674580

Description

Sydney Mitchell and Wilson, 1906. Unusual Arts and Crafts style asymmetrical lodge atop tall Tudor arched stone entrance pend to former hospital site. Rubble stone walls with smooth rounded ashlar quoins to pend and stone corbels supporting angled timber bracket supports for lodge above. Single window to left over carved stone panel. Slate hung elevations to lodge with 11 section-mullioned, multipane windows incorporating canted bay to left to street elevation. Half-rounded stone stair tower to rear with entrance under pend. Full height, riveted and boarded timber gates on tall single hinge mechanism. Timber boarded ceiling to pend and overhangs.

Predominantly 8-pane timber side hung and mullioned casement windows to upper floor. Bellcast roof with graded grey slates; off centre ridge stack; boarded timber entrance door to pend. Cast-iron rainwater goods.

INTERIOR: simple interior floor plan and plain decorative scheme. Stone spiral stair leading to bathroom to half landing with window to front; upper floor with corridor to rear and 3 rooms spanning main window to front. 4-panel timber doors. Coiled detail window handles and brackets, some fitted cupboards circa 1950.

Statement of Special Interest

A very distinctive Arts and Crafts style lodge cantilevered over a tall stone entrance gateway by a renowned Scottish architect and prominently sited in the streetscape clearly marking the entrance to the former Royal Victoria Hospital, historically important in the development of tuberculosis treatment.

The Royal Victoria Hospital developed on its current site with a revolutionary new treatment ethos to combat tuberculosis in 1894. The pioneering new treatment programme lead by Dr Robert Philip (1857-1939) required patients to be exposed the sun and fresh air; it was a non-medical programme to treat the disease in its early stages. Dr Philip had run a successful dispensary from 1887 but the opening of a treatment sanatorium was a considerable step forward in the development of fighting the disease.

The hospital was originally housed in Craigleith House, the former villa on the site. 5 Butterfly-plan pavilion 'sun houses' were built in the grounds from 1903-1907. The administration block (see separate listing) and the gateway lodge were both built in 1906 by Sydney Mitchell and Wilson as part of this development phase on site. The hospital was converted to care for the elderly circa 1954. A large new ward block was built 1967 and extended in the late 1980s at which point the butterfly wards were demolished. The administrative block and the lodge gateway are the two remaining buildings that relate to the development of the tuberculosis hospital in the early 20th century.

The gateway and associated administration block are very much in the ethos of the Arts and Crafts movement which looked to traditional styles and methods in reaction to mass production and mechanisation. The buildings were designed by Sydney Mitchell (1856-1930) who was a prominent and inventive architect of the period who made use of a range of different architectural styles in his work.

The carved stone panel reads 'The Royal Victoria Hospital' and used to continue 'for Consumption' but the latter was chiselled off sometime around 1954 when the hospital was converted to care for the elderly. The lodge was used for caretaker's living accommodation.

List description and statutory address updated, 2012.

References

Bibliography

3rd Edition Ordnance Survey Map (1912-13).J Gifford, Colin McWilliam and D Walker, 'Buildings of Scotland, Edinburgh' (1984) p531. H Richardson 'Building up our Health: The architecture of Scotland;s Historic Hospitals' 2010 (p76). Dictionary Scottish Architects, www.scottisharchitects.org.uk (accessed 2012). Local history website www.craigleithhill.co.uk (accessed 2012).

About Listed Buildings

Historic Environment Scotland is responsible for designating sites and places at the national level. These designations are Scheduled monuments, Listed buildings, Inventory of gardens and designed landscapes and Inventory of historic battlefields.

We make recommendations to the Scottish Government about historic marine protected areas, and the Scottish Ministers decide whether to designate.

Listing is the process that identifies, designates and provides statutory protection for buildings of special architectural or historic interest as set out in the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) (Scotland) Act 1997.

We list buildings which are found to be of special architectural or historic interest using the selection guidance published in Designation Policy and Selection Guidance (2019)

Listed building records provide an indication of the special architectural or historic interest of the listed building which has been identified by its statutory address. The description and additional information provided are supplementary and have no legal weight.

These records are not definitive historical accounts or a complete description of the building(s). If part of a building is not described it does not mean it is not listed. The format of the listed building record has changed over time. Earlier records may be brief and some information will not have been recorded.

The legal part of the listing is the address/name of site which is known as the statutory address. Other than the name or address of a listed building, further details are provided for information purposes only. Historic Environment Scotland does not accept any liability for any loss or damage suffered as a consequence of inaccuracies in the information provided. Addresses and building names may have changed since the date of listing. Even if a number or name is missing from a listing address it will still be listed. Listing covers both the exterior and the interior and any object or structure fixed to the building. Listing also applies to buildings or structures not physically attached but which are part of the curtilage (or land) of the listed building as long as they were erected before 1 July 1948.

While Historic Environment Scotland is responsible for designating listed buildings, the planning authority is responsible for determining what is covered by the listing, including what is listed through curtilage. However, for listed buildings designated or for listings amended from 1 October 2015, legal exclusions to the listing may apply.

If part of a building is not listed, it will say that it is excluded in the statutory address and in the statement of special interest in the listed building record. The statement will use the word 'excluding' and quote the relevant section of the 1997 Act. Some earlier listed building records may use the word 'excluding', but if the Act is not quoted, the record has not been revised to reflect subsequent legislation.

Listed building consent is required for changes to a listed building which affect its character as a building of special architectural or historic interest. The relevant planning authority is the point of contact for applications for listed building consent.

Find out more about listing and our other designations at www.historicenvironment.scot/advice-and-support. You can contact us on 0131 668 8914 or at designations@hes.scot.

Images

There are no images available for this record, you may want to check Canmore for images relating to CRAIGLEITH ROAD, ROYAL VICTORIA HOSPITAL, GATEWAY LODGE

There are no images available for this record.

Search Canmore

Printed: 23/04/2024 14:36