Listed Building

The only legal part of the listing under the Planning (Listing Buildings and Conservation Areas) (Scotland) Act 1997 is the address/name of site. Addresses and building names may have changed since the date of listing – see 'About Listed Buildings' below for more information. The further details below the 'Address/Name of Site' are provided for information purposes only.

Address/Name of Site

11 LADYCROFT, ST MUNGO'S EPISCOPALIAN CHURCH WITH COTTAGE AND BOUNDARY WALL AND GATEPIERSLB26991

Status: Designated

Documents

There are no additional online documents for this record.

Summary

Category
B
Date Added
26/10/1994
Local Authority
Edinburgh
Planning Authority
Edinburgh
Burgh
Edinburgh
NGR
NT 16386 66516
Coordinates
316386, 666516

Description

R Rowand Anderson, 1869. Small, plain, rectangular-plan Gothic church with steeply pitched roof. Painted harl with painted ashlar margins to lancet windows; quoin strips.

E ELEVATION: paired lancets with round window at centre above. Spindly cast-iron cross finial at apex.

W ELEVATION: stepped buttress at centre; gabled bell-cote with curved batter crowning apex; flanking lancets at ground. Lean-to porch entrance to outer left; boarded, 2-leaf door. Unsympathetic modern flat-roofed, glass fronted timber porch and hall extension to outer right linking main church with cottage.

N ELEVATION: 4 bays divided by buttresses; 3-lancet nave with outer right porch entrance.

Leaded and stained glass lancets. Purple slate; lead flashings. Ashlar coping to skews; ashlar coping to bell-cote gable.

INTERIOR: main entrance through modern addition; white granite baptismal font to the memory of John David Hill immediately inside door. Painted brick interior; dark stained dado and scissor braced roof. East windows 1927; depicting baptism and resurrection of Christ; dove in roundel. St Mungo and Virgin and Child stained glass windows to outer right and left of N wall by John Blyth, 1957. St Margaret window at centre by William Wilson, 1959. Plain 20th century altar furniture.

COTTAGE: single storey, 3-bay, symmetrical rectangular-plan cottage connected to church at SE via modern addition. Painted harl; raised ashlar cills. Segmental headed 4-panelled door; plate glass fanlight; flanking segmental-headed windows.

4-pane sash and case windows; grey slate roof; raised ashlar skews; rendered and coped apex stacks.

BOUNDARY WALL AND GATEPIERS: slender, red sandstone pedestrian gatepiers at N end of W side. Rubble wall with triangulated coping encloses church ground and that of cottage.

Statement of Special Interest

The building is an ecclesiastical building in use as such. The church was designed by Anderson at the same time as his building of St Patrick's Roman Catholic school in Edinburgh. Anderson designed further churches for the Episcopalian community in the 1870s.

References

Bibliography

C McWilliam LOTHIAN (1978) p86. S McKinstry ROWAND ANDERSON, THE PREMIER ARCHITECT OF SCOTLAND (1991) p51.

About Listed Buildings

Historic Environment Scotland is responsible for designating sites and places at the national level. These designations are Scheduled monuments, Listed buildings, Inventory of gardens and designed landscapes and Inventory of historic battlefields.

We make recommendations to the Scottish Government about historic marine protected areas, and the Scottish Ministers decide whether to designate.

Listing is the process that identifies, designates and provides statutory protection for buildings of special architectural or historic interest as set out in the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) (Scotland) Act 1997.

We list buildings which are found to be of special architectural or historic interest using the selection guidance published in Designation Policy and Selection Guidance (2019)

Listed building records provide an indication of the special architectural or historic interest of the listed building which has been identified by its statutory address. The description and additional information provided are supplementary and have no legal weight.

These records are not definitive historical accounts or a complete description of the building(s). If part of a building is not described it does not mean it is not listed. The format of the listed building record has changed over time. Earlier records may be brief and some information will not have been recorded.

The legal part of the listing is the address/name of site which is known as the statutory address. Other than the name or address of a listed building, further details are provided for information purposes only. Historic Environment Scotland does not accept any liability for any loss or damage suffered as a consequence of inaccuracies in the information provided. Addresses and building names may have changed since the date of listing. Even if a number or name is missing from a listing address it will still be listed. Listing covers both the exterior and the interior and any object or structure fixed to the building. Listing also applies to buildings or structures not physically attached but which are part of the curtilage (or land) of the listed building as long as they were erected before 1 July 1948.

While Historic Environment Scotland is responsible for designating listed buildings, the planning authority is responsible for determining what is covered by the listing, including what is listed through curtilage. However, for listed buildings designated or for listings amended from 1 October 2015, legal exclusions to the listing may apply.

If part of a building is not listed, it will say that it is excluded in the statutory address and in the statement of special interest in the listed building record. The statement will use the word 'excluding' and quote the relevant section of the 1997 Act. Some earlier listed building records may use the word 'excluding', but if the Act is not quoted, the record has not been revised to reflect subsequent legislation.

Listed building consent is required for changes to a listed building which affect its character as a building of special architectural or historic interest. The relevant planning authority is the point of contact for applications for listed building consent.

Find out more about listing and our other designations at www.historicenvironment.scot/advice-and-support. You can contact us on 0131 668 8914 or at designations@hes.scot.

Images

There are no images available for this record, you may want to check Canmore for images relating to 11 LADYCROFT, ST MUNGO'S EPISCOPALIAN CHURCH WITH COTTAGE AND BOUNDARY WALL AND GATEPIERS

There are no images available for this record.

Search Canmore

Printed: 31/01/2023 13:52