Listed Building

The only legal part of the listing under the Planning (Listing Buildings and Conservation Areas) (Scotland) Act 1997 is the address/name of site. Addresses and building names may have changed since the date of listing – see 'About Listed Buildings' below for more information. The further details below the 'Address/Name of Site' are provided for information purposes only.

Address/Name of Site

33 BARONY STREET, GLASITE MEETING HOUSELB26973

Status: Designated

Documents

There are no additional online documents for this record.

Summary

Category
A
Group Category Details
100000019 - see notes
Date Added
30/09/1964
Local Authority
Edinburgh
Planning Authority
Edinburgh
Burgh
Edinburgh
NGR
NT 25704 74509
Coordinates
325704, 674509

Description

Alexander Black, 1836, with later additions and alterations. 2-storey, 5-bay asymmetrical rectangular-plan former ecclesiastical building. Ashlar sandstone, polished at principal floor of principal elevation, broached at 1st floor of principal elevation. Base course, corniced frieze at ground floor, returned and terminated at E elevation; eaves course; cornice and blocking course. Predominantly blind openings to E and S elevations; panelled aprons at principal floor of N elevation; projecting cills to E and S elevations. Long and short quoins to rear.

N (PRINCIPAL) ELEVATION: 5-bay, comprising 2-leaf 6-panel timber door with decorative rectangular fanlight in penultimate bay at ground floor, small 2-pane window with stone transom to left; windows in remaining bays at ground floor; architraved windows in bays at 1st floor.

E (ALBANY LANE) ELEVATION: 5-bay, comprising advanced polished ashlar 2-bay return from principal elevation to right, with 2-leaf vertically-boarded timber door in penultimate bay from right at ground, with blind window to right, and blind windows aligned above at 1st floor. 3 bays to left comprising blind tripartite segmental-arched window with droved details within, flanked by blind windows at ground.

W ELEVATION: adjoining terrace, see separate listing (33-41 Barony Street).

S (REAR) ELEVATION: blind segmental-arched tripartite window, flanked by windows at ground, pair of oculi at eaves.

Predominantly 15-pane timber sash and case windows. Ballachulish and Easdale slate piended and octagonal piended roofs, with Welsh and Spanish slate patching. 16-pane skylight. Lead, PVCu and cast-iron rainwater goods. Cement rendered stacks; concrete copes, with circular cans.

INTERIOR: double-height rectangular Meeting Room to rear at principal floor, comprising panelled timber staged 2-tier and canopied pulpit by David Bryce, 1873, centred at S wall with advanced pediment, consoles and acroteriae, flanked by steps with cast-iron railings; panelled timber box pews; pair of 2-leaf flush-beaded timber doors to N wall; blocked and painted former fireplace in SW corner; pilasters supporting eliptical arches with pair of ventilating oculi windows in spandrels to S wall, added by James Dunn, 1890; octagonal cupola centred at ceiling with clear and yellow-stained diamond leaded lights, some etched with decorative motifs; earlier 20th century chandelier. Stone flagged hall; vertically-boarded timber dado; decorative timber panel surmounted by swan neck pediment, with painted text, reading 'A Meeting House, commonly called Glasite or Sandemanian of the Church of Christ for Public Worship...'. Kitchen and offices in former house keeper's rooms at principal floor, including former Elders' study with baize and panelled door. Stone stairs with decorative cast-iron railings; stair well dado level marked by semicircular timber ridge. Principal 1st floor room, former 'Feast Hall' (McWilliam Room), comprising blind arcaded wall to W, with door in arch to left; windows on N wall flanked by presses; geometric coffered ceiling and Greek-key pattern cornice; pair of timber fireplaces with porphyry mantelpieces; tables and benches original to the building; dumb-waiter in cupboard at door. Offices at 1st floor, formerly visiting preachers' suite. Stone stairs to basement, with modernised WC facilities and boiler room.

Statement of Special Interest

Part of the Edinburgh New Town A Group. The former Glasite Meeting House was rescued by the Cockburn Conservation Trust, and is now the national headquarters of The Architectural History Society of Scotland, with offices used by the Scottish Society for Conservation and Restoration.

Glasites were the followers of John Glas (1695-1773), who was removed from the Church of Scotland ministry in 1730 for his beliefs regarding the jurisdiction of the congregation. The first Glasite church was founded in Dundee. 33 Barony Street was built to replace the Glasites first Edinburgh church established in Chalmers Close in 1755. The Edinburgh Glasite congregation was the last to survive, until 1989, and 33 Barony Street was given to the Cockburn Conservation Trust in December of that year.

33 Barony Street adheres to the traditionally simple appearance of Glasite Meeting Houses. An early commission for Alexander Black, he most likely used William Alexander's OBSERVATIONS ON THE CONSTRUCTION AND FITTING UP OF MEETING HOUSES, ETC, FOR PUBLIC WORSHIP (York, 1820) to meet with the design requirements. The choice to use Black's design probably came about as he was made surveyor to the Heriot Trust in 1836, and the land was bought by the Glasites from the Heriot Trust the same year.

References

Bibliography

Pentreath, THE GLASITE MEETING HOUSE, 33 BARONY STREET, EDINBURGH, AN ARCHITECTURAL HISTORY; McKean, EDINBURGH (1992), p108; MacRae Heritors 38; Register of Sasines.

About Listed Buildings

Historic Environment Scotland is responsible for designating sites and places at the national level. These designations are Scheduled monuments, Listed buildings, Inventory of gardens and designed landscapes and Inventory of historic battlefields.

We make recommendations to the Scottish Government about historic marine protected areas, and the Scottish Ministers decide whether to designate.

Listing is the process that identifies, designates and provides statutory protection for buildings of special architectural or historic interest as set out in the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) (Scotland) Act 1997.

We list buildings which are found to be of special architectural or historic interest using the selection guidance published in Designation Policy and Selection Guidance (2019)

Listed building records provide an indication of the special architectural or historic interest of the listed building which has been identified by its statutory address. The description and additional information provided are supplementary and have no legal weight.

These records are not definitive historical accounts or a complete description of the building(s). If part of a building is not described it does not mean it is not listed. The format of the listed building record has changed over time. Earlier records may be brief and some information will not have been recorded.

The legal part of the listing is the address/name of site which is known as the statutory address. Other than the name or address of a listed building, further details are provided for information purposes only. Historic Environment Scotland does not accept any liability for any loss or damage suffered as a consequence of inaccuracies in the information provided. Addresses and building names may have changed since the date of listing. Even if a number or name is missing from a listing address it will still be listed. Listing covers both the exterior and the interior and any object or structure fixed to the building. Listing also applies to buildings or structures not physically attached but which are part of the curtilage (or land) of the listed building as long as they were erected before 1 July 1948.

While Historic Environment Scotland is responsible for designating listed buildings, the planning authority is responsible for determining what is covered by the listing, including what is listed through curtilage. However, for listed buildings designated or for listings amended from 1 October 2015, legal exclusions to the listing may apply.

If part of a building is not listed, it will say that it is excluded in the statutory address and in the statement of special interest in the listed building record. The statement will use the word 'excluding' and quote the relevant section of the 1997 Act. Some earlier listed building records may use the word 'excluding', but if the Act is not quoted, the record has not been revised to reflect subsequent legislation.

Listed building consent is required for changes to a listed building which affect its character as a building of special architectural or historic interest. The relevant planning authority is the point of contact for applications for listed building consent.

Find out more about listing and our other designations at www.historicenvironment.scot/advice-and-support. You can contact us on 0131 668 8914 or at designations@hes.scot.

Images

There are no images available for this record, you may want to check Canmore for images relating to 33 BARONY STREET, GLASITE MEETING HOUSE

There are no images available for this record.

Search Canmore

Printed: 20/04/2024 05:23