Listed Building

The only legal part of the listing under the Planning (Listing Buildings and Conservation Areas) (Scotland) Act 1997 is the address/name of site. Addresses and building names may have changed since the date of listing – see 'About Listed Buildings' below for more information. The further details below the 'Address/Name of Site' are provided for information purposes only.

Address/Name of Site

24 COLINTON ROAD REDFERN WITH CONSERVATORY SUNDIAL BOUNDARY_WALLS AND GATEPIERSLB26905

Status: Designated

Documents

There are no additional online documents for this record.

Summary

Category
C
Date Added
30/01/1981
Local Authority
Edinburgh
Planning Authority
Edinburgh
Burgh
Edinburgh
NGR
NT 23927 71611
Coordinates
323927, 671611

Description

Circa 1870-75. 2-storey 3-bay rectangular-plan sub-divided villa with rear service wing; cream sandstone, ashlar front, squared and snecked stugged rubble rear and sides with droved ashlar dressings; moulded string course above ground floor; 1st floor cill course; dentilled eaves cornice; channelled quoins with fluted frieze; architraved windows; ashlar mullions; bracketted cills (except to canted window).

SE (FRONT) ELEVATION: entrance porch with coupled square Roman Doric columns (each pair now infilled with small leaded pane windows with coloured glass) to central bay, frieze, cornice and blocking course, 2-leaf panelled door and rectangular plate glass fanlight; single window at 1st floor; left bay with full-height canted window (1-3-1) and half-piend roof; bay to right with bipartite windows at ground and 1st floor. NW (REAR) ELEVATION: lower 2-storey square-plan service wing to left with piend roof; 2 single windows to centre of main block at ground and 1st floor; 2 coped wallhead stacks.

NE ELEVATION: rubble-built forestair to 1st floor with secondary entrance door inserted in light of former stair window; door flanked by window with square leaded panes and coloured glass (remains of stair window); segmental-arched bipartite stair window above detailed as flanking window; single 1st floor window to right bay.

SW ELEVATION: 3-bay; single windows to ground and 1st floor to centre and left bay.

CONSERVATORY: sandstone base course, single storey timber conservatory with segmental-arched openings and finialled gable at ground floor to right bay. Timber sash and case windows, plate glass glazing, 4-pane windows to rear; Scottish slate piend and platform roof, lead flashings; 2 wallhead stacks (see above), 1 central transverse stack with dentilled cornice; moulded eaves gutters and brackets.

INTERIOR: not seen 1992.

SUNDIAL, BOUNDARY WALL AND GATEPIERS: octagonal moulded ashlar sundial to centre of circular drive; tall rubble boundary wall with semi-circular coping to rear and sides, low recessed rubble wall with saddleback coping to front, obelisk gatepiers with chamfered arrises, ornamental cast-iron gate.

References

Bibliography

OS 1877; PO Directory 1871.

About Listed Buildings

Historic Environment Scotland is responsible for designating sites and places at the national level. These designations are Scheduled monuments, Listed buildings, Inventory of gardens and designed landscapes and Inventory of historic battlefields.

We make recommendations to the Scottish Government about historic marine protected areas, and the Scottish Ministers decide whether to designate.

Listing is the process that identifies, designates and provides statutory protection for buildings of special architectural or historic interest as set out in the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) (Scotland) Act 1997.

We list buildings which are found to be of special architectural or historic interest using the selection guidance published in Designation Policy and Selection Guidance (2019)

Listed building records provide an indication of the special architectural or historic interest of the listed building which has been identified by its statutory address. The description and additional information provided are supplementary and have no legal weight.

These records are not definitive historical accounts or a complete description of the building(s). If part of a building is not described it does not mean it is not listed. The format of the listed building record has changed over time. Earlier records may be brief and some information will not have been recorded.

The legal part of the listing is the address/name of site which is known as the statutory address. Other than the name or address of a listed building, further details are provided for information purposes only. Historic Environment Scotland does not accept any liability for any loss or damage suffered as a consequence of inaccuracies in the information provided. Addresses and building names may have changed since the date of listing. Even if a number or name is missing from a listing address it will still be listed. Listing covers both the exterior and the interior and any object or structure fixed to the building. Listing also applies to buildings or structures not physically attached but which are part of the curtilage (or land) of the listed building as long as they were erected before 1 July 1948.

While Historic Environment Scotland is responsible for designating listed buildings, the planning authority is responsible for determining what is covered by the listing, including what is listed through curtilage. However, for listed buildings designated or for listings amended from 1 October 2015, legal exclusions to the listing may apply.

If part of a building is not listed, it will say that it is excluded in the statutory address and in the statement of special interest in the listed building record. The statement will use the word 'excluding' and quote the relevant section of the 1997 Act. Some earlier listed building records may use the word 'excluding', but if the Act is not quoted, the record has not been revised to reflect subsequent legislation.

Listed building consent is required for changes to a listed building which affect its character as a building of special architectural or historic interest. The relevant planning authority is the point of contact for applications for listed building consent.

Find out more about listing and our other designations at www.historicenvironment.scot/advice-and-support. You can contact us on 0131 668 8914 or at designations@hes.scot.

Images

There are no images available for this record, you may want to check Canmore for images relating to 24 COLINTON ROAD REDFERN WITH CONSERVATORY SUNDIAL BOUNDARY_WALLS AND GATEPIERS

There are no images available for this record.

Search Canmore

Printed: 24/07/2024 04:52