Listed Building

The only legal part of the listing under the Planning (Listing Buildings and Conservation Areas) (Scotland) Act 1997 is the address/name of site. Addresses and building names may have changed since the date of listing – see 'About Listed Buildings' below for more information. The further details below the 'Address/Name of Site' are provided for information purposes only.

Address/Name of Site

KIRK STREET AND SINCLAIR STREET, SCOTTISH CHURCHES HOUSE, SOUTH TERRACELB26375

Status: Designated

Documents

There are no additional online documents for this record.

Summary

Category
C
Date Added
02/04/1957
Local Authority
Stirling
Planning Authority
Stirling
Burgh
Dunblane
NGR
NN 78237 1371
Coordinates
278237, 701371

Description

Mid-later 18th century (with mid 19th century addition); refurbished 1960. 1 of 3 components which combine as Scottish Churches House (see separate listing of Entrance House and North Terrace). Pair of 2-storey; 3-bay; terraced houses (that to S semi-detached); built in 2 separate stages; that to N with 2 storey wing added to N bay of principal (W) elevation; both converted as part of residential conference centre/internal walls knocked through to accommodate linking passageways 1960. Harled. Stone dressings to and coped gables to former cottage to N.

W (PRINCIPAL) ELEVATION: regular fenestration (window to each bay to each floor) to former house to right. Former cottage to left set forward slightly at slight angle. Window to each floor in each of 2 bays set back to right (small window at 1st floor of left bay). Gable end of later wing projects to left; right arrises chamfered at lower ground; 2 large windows to right at ground (that to right former entrance); window to right of 1st floor; carved circular stone plaque incorporating cross motif to left. Entrance to right of right return; 2 windows to left that to outer left enlarged; window in between to 1st floor.

E ELEVATION: entrance (replacement boarded timber door) to right of former house to left. Window in each floor to each bay to left (that to right at ground altered). 3 irregularly disposed windows to each floor to former cottage to right; large later 20th century box dormer to roof.

S ELEVATION: blank gable end.

Mainly multi-pane and plate glass timber sash and case windows to principal (W) elevation. Grey slate roof. 2 coped gablehead stacks to former cottage to N (1 at S end, one to later wing).

INTERIOR: modernised and connecting passageway inserted running N/S. Fireplace lintel dated 1741 said to have been uncovered during refurbishment in 1 of former houses.

Statement of Special Interest

Part of a row of largely 18th century houses, rescued from near demolition in the 1950's. The row is very important in terms of Dunblane's townscape and the setting of the cathedral. Formerly there were rows of cottages on either side of Kirk St. Those running along the churchyard were demolished in the late 19th century. An old photograph (Burgh Survey) shows that the window spacing to the former cottage to the S has been somewhat altered (formerly it had a central entrance with flanking windows to each floor - more closely spaced than the current outer windows - and inserted dormers); also its former gablehead stack has been removed. The ground floor of the gable end of the later wing of the former cottage to the N formerly comprised a shop entrance and adjoining large window. The row of former houses was opened as the Scottish Churches House, an ecumenical meeting house and conference centre, in 1960.

References

Bibliography

1st Edition County Series OS MAP; 1/2500 (1866) A Barty, THE HISTORY OF DUNBLANE, 1992, p36. C McKean, STIRLING AND THE TROSSACHS, AN ILLUSTRATED ARCHITECTURAL GUIDE, 1994, pp 84-85.

About Listed Buildings

Historic Environment Scotland is responsible for designating sites and places at the national level. These designations are Scheduled monuments, Listed buildings, Inventory of gardens and designed landscapes and Inventory of historic battlefields.

We make recommendations to the Scottish Government about historic marine protected areas, and the Scottish Ministers decide whether to designate.

Listing is the process that identifies, designates and provides statutory protection for buildings of special architectural or historic interest as set out in the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) (Scotland) Act 1997.

We list buildings which are found to be of special architectural or historic interest using the selection guidance published in Designation Policy and Selection Guidance (2019)

Listed building records provide an indication of the special architectural or historic interest of the listed building which has been identified by its statutory address. The description and additional information provided are supplementary and have no legal weight.

These records are not definitive historical accounts or a complete description of the building(s). If part of a building is not described it does not mean it is not listed. The format of the listed building record has changed over time. Earlier records may be brief and some information will not have been recorded.

The legal part of the listing is the address/name of site which is known as the statutory address. Other than the name or address of a listed building, further details are provided for information purposes only. Historic Environment Scotland does not accept any liability for any loss or damage suffered as a consequence of inaccuracies in the information provided. Addresses and building names may have changed since the date of listing. Even if a number or name is missing from a listing address it will still be listed. Listing covers both the exterior and the interior and any object or structure fixed to the building. Listing also applies to buildings or structures not physically attached but which are part of the curtilage (or land) of the listed building as long as they were erected before 1 July 1948.

While Historic Environment Scotland is responsible for designating listed buildings, the planning authority is responsible for determining what is covered by the listing, including what is listed through curtilage. However, for listed buildings designated or for listings amended from 1 October 2015, legal exclusions to the listing may apply.

If part of a building is not listed, it will say that it is excluded in the statutory address and in the statement of special interest in the listed building record. The statement will use the word 'excluding' and quote the relevant section of the 1997 Act. Some earlier listed building records may use the word 'excluding', but if the Act is not quoted, the record has not been revised to reflect subsequent legislation.

Listed building consent is required for changes to a listed building which affect its character as a building of special architectural or historic interest. The relevant planning authority is the point of contact for applications for listed building consent.

Find out more about listing and our other designations at www.historicenvironment.scot/advice-and-support. You can contact us on 0131 668 8914 or at designations@hes.scot.

Images

There are no images available for this record, you may want to check Canmore for images relating to KIRK STREET AND SINCLAIR STREET, SCOTTISH CHURCHES HOUSE, SOUTH TERRACE

There are no images available for this record.

Search Canmore

Printed: 17/01/2022 20:13