Listed Building

The only legal part of the listing under the Planning (Listing Buildings and Conservation Areas) (Scotland) Act 1997 is the address/name of site. Addresses and building names may have changed since the date of listing – see 'About Listed Buildings' below for more information. The further details below the 'Address/Name of Site' are provided for information purposes only.

Address/Name of Site

LEYS PARK ROAD, FORMER DUNFERMLINE POORHOUSE AND NORTHERN HOSPITAL (LEY'S PARK NURSING HOME), INCLUDING GATEPIERS AND BOUNDARY WALLLB26029

Status: Designated

Documents

There are no additional online documents for this record.

Summary

Category
B
Group Category Details
100000020 - see notes
Date Added
08/08/1986
Local Authority
Fife
Planning Authority
Fife
Burgh
Dunfermline
NGR
NT 10056 87980
Coordinates
310056, 687980

Description

W wing Thomas Brown of Edinburgh, 1843; partially refronted and E wing added by Andrew Muirhead (Muirhead and Rutherford), 1905; later additions to rear (N). 2-storey; 19-bay main block; various extensions to N (including original wing to W). Near symmetrical principal (S) elevation with classical detailing, including slightly projecting Edwardian Baroque centrepiece with pilastered and pedimented entrance bay to centre. Poorhouse; later in use as hospital (now nursing home). Coursed stugged sandstone with droved ashlar dressings and polished ashlar centrepiece to principal elevation; less finely coursed stugged sandstone and coursed rubble with droved ashlar dressings to rear. 1st floor cill band and eaves band to principal elevation; architraved openings; aprons to 1st floor windows (apart from that set back to outer right).

S (PRINCIPAL) ELEVATION: slightly projecting 5-bay ashlar centrepiece with moulded cornice and chanelled quoins; all openings corniced with Gibbs surrounds. Broken-bed pediment and flanking channelled pilaster strips to central entrance bay; keystoned lintel surmounted by segmental pediment to entrance; 2-leaf panelled timber door. Window above with keystoned lintel surmounted by curved breaking-eaves pediment; flanking scrolls at base of window. Paired flanking bays; window to each floor to each bay. Single flanking bays set back slightly; bipartite with central column mullion to each floor. Outer flanking sections set back slightly. 5 bays to left with entrance with consoled pediment at centre; regular fenestration (with a couple of additional inserted windows to ground floor); slightly projecting 6th bay to outer left. 5 regularly fenestrated bays to right; 6th bay set back slightly to outer right; mullioned bipartite to 1st floor; lean-to conservatory extends along wall to right below; entrance with 2-leaf panelled timber door with segmental fanlight to left; triple segmental-headed window-arcade to right.

W ELEVATION: 3-bay end section to main range to right; altered at ground floor to flanking outer bays (both now entrances); alterations and additions to left return. Original 4-bay rear wing (outer left bay obscured) set back to left; substantially altered (windows enlarged) to ground floor. Altered section with additions projects to outer left.

E ELEVATION: single bay end section to main range projects forward to left (altered at 1st floor); lean-to conservatory adjoins to left. Later harled flat-roofed addition to right.

N ELEVATION: irregular and substantially altered. Later flat-roofed harled addition obscures most of E wing. Slightly projecting section incorporating catslide-roofed original stairtower to centre. 2 bays set back to left; 3 to right; both terminating at projecting gable-ended sections; that to right part of original rear wing; various outbuildings set forward to either side adjoining it, including later brick and harled structure with square-plan brick industrial chimney.

Mixture of 12-pane timber sash and case windows and modern replacments with casement opening sections. Grey slate roofs, piended apart from to rear wing to W and rear projecting section to E (both with coped skews). Gablehead stacks with band courses to either side of rear wing to W and to rear projecting section to E; ridge stack with band course to W of main range; cans missing.

INTERIOR: not inspected (1999).

GATEPIERS AND BOUNDARY WALL: pair of square-plan polished sandstone ashlar gatepiers to SW; both chamfered with friezes and pyramid caps. Similar smaller and simpler gatepier (without frieze) to pedestrian entrance to E; wrought-iron gate to each. Coursed roughly stugged sandstone rubble boundary wall adjoins to E and terminates at pair of gatepiers with pyramid coping to SE. Similar wall encloses former grounds on N and E sides.

Statement of Special Interest

B-Group with Former Fever Hospital (McLean House) and Former Poorhouse Probationary Ward ('The Lodge'). Primarily of interest on account of its principal elevation, which was rearranged and extended in 1905. The original poorhouse of 1843 is shown on the 1856 OS map with separate yards for male and female occupants; it included 2 apartments for lunatics (Chalmers).. In 1904 it became a hospital as well as a poorhouse. With the creation of the National Health Service in 1948 it came under the management of the West Fife Hospital Board and became the Northern Hospital, specialising in the care of the long-term and chronic sick. The Northern Hospital was closed in 1985, since which time it has been sold and passed into use as a nursing home.

References

Bibliography

Rev Peter Chalmers, HISTORICAL AND STATISTICAL ACCOUNT OF DUNFERMLINE (1844) p 324 and 450-51; original structure appears as 'Poorhouse' on 1855 ORDNANCE SURVEY MAP, 5ft to 1 Mile, Dunfermline Sheet 3; Francis H Groome, ORDNANCE GAZETEER OF SCOTLAND, VOL II (1882) p433; PLANS and ELEVATIONS, Folder No 2338, Dean of Guilds Records, Dunfermline Council; Eric Simpson, THE AULD GREY TOUN (1987) pp52-55; Bert McEwan, DUNFERMLINE - OUR HERITAGE (1998) pp145-47.

About Listed Buildings

Historic Environment Scotland is responsible for designating sites and places at the national level. These designations are Scheduled monuments, Listed buildings, Inventory of gardens and designed landscapes and Inventory of historic battlefields.

We make recommendations to the Scottish Government about historic marine protected areas, and the Scottish Ministers decide whether to designate.

Listing is the process that identifies, designates and provides statutory protection for buildings of special architectural or historic interest as set out in the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) (Scotland) Act 1997.

We list buildings which are found to be of special architectural or historic interest using the selection guidance published in Designation Policy and Selection Guidance (2019)

Listed building records provide an indication of the special architectural or historic interest of the listed building which has been identified by its statutory address. The description and additional information provided are supplementary and have no legal weight.

These records are not definitive historical accounts or a complete description of the building(s). If part of a building is not described it does not mean it is not listed. The format of the listed building record has changed over time. Earlier records may be brief and some information will not have been recorded.

The legal part of the listing is the address/name of site which is known as the statutory address. Other than the name or address of a listed building, further details are provided for information purposes only. Historic Environment Scotland does not accept any liability for any loss or damage suffered as a consequence of inaccuracies in the information provided. Addresses and building names may have changed since the date of listing. Even if a number or name is missing from a listing address it will still be listed. Listing covers both the exterior and the interior and any object or structure fixed to the building. Listing also applies to buildings or structures not physically attached but which are part of the curtilage (or land) of the listed building as long as they were erected before 1 July 1948.

While Historic Environment Scotland is responsible for designating listed buildings, the planning authority is responsible for determining what is covered by the listing, including what is listed through curtilage. However, for listed buildings designated or for listings amended from 1 October 2015, legal exclusions to the listing may apply.

If part of a building is not listed, it will say that it is excluded in the statutory address and in the statement of special interest in the listed building record. The statement will use the word 'excluding' and quote the relevant section of the 1997 Act. Some earlier listed building records may use the word 'excluding', but if the Act is not quoted, the record has not been revised to reflect subsequent legislation.

Listed building consent is required for changes to a listed building which affect its character as a building of special architectural or historic interest. The relevant planning authority is the point of contact for applications for listed building consent.

Find out more about listing and our other designations at www.historicenvironment.scot/advice-and-support. You can contact us on 0131 668 8914 or at designations@hes.scot.

Images

There are no images available for this record, you may want to check Canmore for images relating to LEYS PARK ROAD, FORMER DUNFERMLINE POORHOUSE AND NORTHERN HOSPITAL (LEY'S PARK NURSING HOME), INCLUDING GATEPIERS AND BOUNDARY WALL

There are no images available for this record.

Search Canmore

Printed: 20/05/2022 02:56