Listed Building

The only legal part of the listing under the Planning (Listing Buildings and Conservation Areas) (Scotland) Act 1997 is the address/name of site. Addresses and building names may have changed since the date of listing – see 'About Listed Buildings' below for more information. The further details below the 'Address/Name of Site' are provided for information purposes only.

Address/Name of Site

VIEWFIELD TERRACE, 3-8 (INCLUSIVE NOS) VIEWFIELD HOUSELB26019

Status: Designated

Documents

There are no additional online documents for this record.

Summary

Category
B
Group Category Details
100000020 - see notes
Date Added
01/02/1971
Local Authority
Fife
Planning Authority
Fife
Burgh
Dunfermline
NGR
NT 09527 87427
Coordinates
309527, 687427

Description

Early 18th century; altered early 19th century and later and converted to flats 1982-83. 3-storey and attic; 3-bay; rectangular-plan; large detached house (now flats). Classical design with slightly advanced pedimented entrance bay with Palladian windows to upper floors. Sandstone ashlar (droved except to principal/N elevation) with heavily rockfaced basement. Base course to basement and ground floor; 1st floor cill course; band course between 1st and 2nd floors except to rear (S) elevation; eaves cornice.

N (PRINCIPAL) ELEVATION: steps up to entrance to projecting central bay; architrave recessed within round-arched opening incorporating fanlight; 9-panel timber door; flanking columns with acanthus leaves to capitals support entablature. V-jointed masonry to ground floor to either side; window to each of flanking bays to each floor except basement; those to 1st floor are architraved with consoled cornices. Venetian window above entrance; flat lintel recessed within round-arched opening; balustrade below cill. Flat-headed Venetian window to centre of 2nd floor. Central entrance to basement; 6-panel timber door with inserted narrow flanking windows; 2 windows to right and one to left.

S ELEVATION:19th century ashlar vestibule with moulded cornice projects to right of centre to basement and ground floor; large stair window recessed within round-arched surround; architraved entrance to left return; inserted entrance to right return; both with late 20th century timber doors with rectangular fanlights. 4 regularly-fenestrated bays set back to main block; window to each bay to each floor above and to either side of vestibule.

E ELEVATION: 2 lean-to additions to basement; window set back to centre. 3 regularly fenestrated bays above; window to each bay to each floor (those to outer right are blocked).

W ELEVATION: entrance with late 20th century timber door to left of basement; window to right. 3 regularly-fenestrated bays (grouped 2-1) above; window to each bay to each floor (those to outer left and outer right window to 2nd floor are blocked).

Mainly 12-pane timber sash and case windows. Grey slate piended platform roof. Pair of corniced wallhead stacks to either side (E and W); round cans.

INTERIOR: dog-leg staircase with cast iron balustrade (probably of earlier 19th century date) rises from vestibule to rear of building; octagonal lantern at apex. Entrance lobby at front of building with plaster fan vaulting rising to flat oval ceiling and decorated with Adamesque plasterwork. Internal layout largely dating from conversion to flats. Some early 20th century plasterwork, including fake panelling and Adamesque details, and timber dado to main room of ground floor flat at No 3. Similar details to stairwell.

Statement of Special Interest

B-Group with 'East Port, Pair of Gatepiers to W of Carnegie Hall'. A substantial and finely detailed large former villa, which has been used for a variety of purposes. It was built for James Blackwood, Provost of Dunfermline in around 1808. In 1915 it was purchased jointly as offices by 3 branches of the Carnegie Trust. From 1920-65 it was used as an art and craft school, under the ownership Of the Carnegie Dunfermline Trust.

References

Bibliography

Appears with extensive grounds on J Wood's PLAN OF THE TOWN OF DUNFERMLINE (1823); A Mercer, THE HISTORY OF DUNFERMLINE (1828) p182; appears with vestibule/stair extension to S on ORDNANCE SURVEY MAY, 5ft to 1 Mile (1856), Dunfermline Sheet 5; Bert McEwan, DUNFERMLINE - OUR HERITAGE (1998) pp91-92.

About Listed Buildings

Historic Environment Scotland is responsible for designating sites and places at the national level. These designations are Scheduled monuments, Listed buildings, Inventory of gardens and designed landscapes and Inventory of historic battlefields.

We make recommendations to the Scottish Government about historic marine protected areas, and the Scottish Ministers decide whether to designate.

Listing is the process that identifies, designates and provides statutory protection for buildings of special architectural or historic interest as set out in the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) (Scotland) Act 1997.

We list buildings which are found to be of special architectural or historic interest using the selection guidance published in Designation Policy and Selection Guidance (2019)

Listed building records provide an indication of the special architectural or historic interest of the listed building which has been identified by its statutory address. The description and additional information provided are supplementary and have no legal weight.

These records are not definitive historical accounts or a complete description of the building(s). If part of a building is not described it does not mean it is not listed. The format of the listed building record has changed over time. Earlier records may be brief and some information will not have been recorded.

The legal part of the listing is the address/name of site which is known as the statutory address. Other than the name or address of a listed building, further details are provided for information purposes only. Historic Environment Scotland does not accept any liability for any loss or damage suffered as a consequence of inaccuracies in the information provided. Addresses and building names may have changed since the date of listing. Even if a number or name is missing from a listing address it will still be listed. Listing covers both the exterior and the interior and any object or structure fixed to the building. Listing also applies to buildings or structures not physically attached but which are part of the curtilage (or land) of the listed building as long as they were erected before 1 July 1948.

While Historic Environment Scotland is responsible for designating listed buildings, the planning authority is responsible for determining what is covered by the listing, including what is listed through curtilage. However, for listed buildings designated or for listings amended from 1 October 2015, legal exclusions to the listing may apply.

If part of a building is not listed, it will say that it is excluded in the statutory address and in the statement of special interest in the listed building record. The statement will use the word 'excluding' and quote the relevant section of the 1997 Act. Some earlier listed building records may use the word 'excluding', but if the Act is not quoted, the record has not been revised to reflect subsequent legislation.

Listed building consent is required for changes to a listed building which affect its character as a building of special architectural or historic interest. The relevant planning authority is the point of contact for applications for listed building consent.

Find out more about listing and our other designations at www.historicenvironment.scot/advice-and-support. You can contact us on 0131 668 8914 or at designations@hes.scot.

Images

There are no images available for this record, you may want to check Canmore for images relating to VIEWFIELD TERRACE, 3-8 (INCLUSIVE NOS) VIEWFIELD HOUSE

There are no images available for this record.

Search Canmore

Printed: 14/08/2022 04:36