Listed Building

The only legal part of the listing under the Planning (Listing Buildings and Conservation Areas) (Scotland) Act 1997 is the address/name of site. Addresses and building names may have changed since the date of listing – see 'About Listed Buildings' below for more information. The further details below the 'Address/Name of Site' are provided for information purposes only.

Address/Name of Site


Status: Designated


There are no additional online documents for this record.


Date Added
Local Authority
Planning Authority
NO 41706 18523
341706, 718523


Original house 1764 with extensive baronial additions and alterations, 1867, John Milne of St Andres, architect. East elevation incorporates original 3-storey, 4-bay house, central 2 bays advanced, with crow-stepped gables and original doorpiece with blocked architrave, keystoned and dated pediment. Conical-roofed angle turrets added to outer-bays, corbelled at 2nd floor and in northern re-entrant angle; right bay raised and gabled, left bay with pedimented dormer. All gables crow-stepped; panelled and corniced apex stacks; slated roofs with finials. Single storey ranges form U-plan courtyard; these also altered by Milne, and dated 1867 (possible malt kiln set against north wall of north range). Tall, 4 storey square tower added to north west, with

circular stair tower rising through corbelled and crenellated parapet. A symmetrical south elevati on to 2-storey west wing, irregular fenestration, including 2-storey canted window at west with tall faceted roof. Various modern additions and modifications. 1867 extensive 1 and storey additions to south.

INTERIORr: some original 18th century panelling, simple plasterwork and twisted cast-iron stair balusters. 1867 extensions have some wooden panelling, some chimney pieces and door furniture reputedly from Old Dunnikeir House (information from owner). Later 19th century fountain to south, heavily overgrown with ivy. Quatrefoil ashlar basin with moulded coping: terra cotta fountain on rubble plinth has 6 lion mask spouts, and capped centrally by 3 partially robed figures, supporting basin. Rubble-built garden wall is stepped with ashlar coping and

band course: single round, ashlar angle turret on splayed rock-faced plinth, with corbelled parapet, at south east corner, probably John Milne architect. Corniced, square rusticated ashlar gatepiers also probably 1764; wrought-iron gates with concave upper rail.

Statement of Special Interest

Initials 'RM' on datestone are for Robert Meldrum. Some alterations circa 1905, by Williamson, of Williamson & Hubbard, architects, Kirkcaldy. Proposed alterations by Peddie & Kinnear, 1918 (information

from SNMR).



Bound volume of Milne drawings in possession of owner. (copies in SNMR)

About Listed Buildings

Historic Environment Scotland is responsible for designating sites and places at the national level. These designations are Scheduled monuments, Listed buildings, Inventory of gardens and designed landscapes and Inventory of historic battlefields.

We make recommendations to the Scottish Government about historic marine protected areas, and the Scottish Ministers decide whether to designate.

Listing is the process that identifies, designates and provides statutory protection for buildings of special architectural or historic interest as set out in the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) (Scotland) Act 1997.

We list buildings which are found to be of special architectural or historic interest using the selection guidance published in Designation Policy and Selection Guidance (2019)

Listed building records provide an indication of the special architectural or historic interest of the listed building which has been identified by its statutory address. The description and additional information provided are supplementary and have no legal weight.

These records are not definitive historical accounts or a complete description of the building(s). If part of a building is not described it does not mean it is not listed. The format of the listed building record has changed over time. Earlier records may be brief and some information will not have been recorded.

The legal part of the listing is the address/name of site which is known as the statutory address. Other than the name or address of a listed building, further details are provided for information purposes only. Historic Environment Scotland does not accept any liability for any loss or damage suffered as a consequence of inaccuracies in the information provided. Addresses and building names may have changed since the date of listing. Even if a number or name is missing from a listing address it will still be listed. Listing covers both the exterior and the interior and any object or structure fixed to the building. Listing also applies to buildings or structures not physically attached but which are part of the curtilage (or land) of the listed building as long as they were erected before 1 July 1948.

While Historic Environment Scotland is responsible for designating listed buildings, the planning authority is responsible for determining what is covered by the listing, including what is listed through curtilage. However, for listed buildings designated or for listings amended from 1 October 2015, legal exclusions to the listing may apply.

If part of a building is not listed, it will say that it is excluded in the statutory address and in the statement of special interest in the listed building record. The statement will use the word 'excluding' and quote the relevant section of the 1997 Act. Some earlier listed building records may use the word 'excluding', but if the Act is not quoted, the record has not been revised to reflect subsequent legislation.

Listed building consent is required for changes to a listed building which affect its character as a building of special architectural or historic interest. The relevant planning authority is the point of contact for applications for listed building consent.

Find out more about listing and our other designations at You can contact us on 0131 668 8914 or at


There are no images available for this record, you may want to check Canmore for images relating to PITTORMIE HOUSE GARDEN WALL FOUNTAIN TO SOUTH AND GATEPIERS

There are no images available for this record.

Search Canmore

Printed: 30/05/2024 06:58