Listed Building

The only legal part of the listing under the Planning (Listing Buildings and Conservation Areas) (Scotland) Act 1997 is the address/name of site. Addresses and building names may have changed since the date of listing – see 'About Listed Buildings' below for more information. The further details below the 'Address/Name of Site' are provided for information purposes only.

Address/Name of Site

HALTON HILL STEADINGLB2591

Status: Designated

Documents

There are no additional online documents for this record.

Summary

Category
B
Date Added
22/10/1987
Local Authority
Fife
Planning Authority
Fife
Parish
Abdie
NGR
NO 24523 16153
Coordinates
324523, 716153

Description

Late 18th century. Small single storey, rectangular-plan courtyard steading with further remote range to NW and SW. Entrance via door to NW and linked taller range to SE (semi-derelict). Random whinstone rubble with droved ashlar quoins; dressed ashlar piers. Elliptical-arched openings and voussoirs. Outer corners of courtyard buildings rounded. Courtyard:

COURTYARD ELEVATION: 3-bay shelter sheds with dividing stone piers to SE (3-bay with taller rubble bay to outer left), SW (5-bay) and NW (5-bay). Full width flagstone-topped rubble feeding ledge to outer wall of NW range. Rear of cottages to NE.

NE ELEVATION: cottage with part-glazed timber door to right of centre and window in bay to left, further window to left and panelled timber door to outer left. Access to courtyard beyond to left.

NW ELEVATION: wide boarded timber door to left of centre, 5 small leaded windows in former feed hatches to right (that to outer right fallen to ground).

SW ELEVATION: wide opening with boarded timber door off-centre left, and evidence of former opening (door?) beyond to left.

Small-pane glazing pattern in timber sash and case windows, and diamond pattern leaded casement windows. Grey slates to NW, NE, SE and corrugated asbestos to SW. Coped ashlar stack and thackstanes.

NW Range:

NW ELEVATION: cottage (converted cart-shed) with part-glazed timber door and plate glass fanlight at centre, windows in flanking bays, further window to outer left and small opening to outerright. Further range with 3 windows adjoining to outer left.

SE ELEVATION: 4 cart arches (blocked) to left of centre (cottage). Adjoining range to right with door to left and full-height sliding door to outer right (both boarded timber). 10- and 12-pane glazing pattern in timber sash and case windows with 6-pane upper over plate glass lower glazing to elliptical-arched openings. Corrugated asbestos to E; modern tiles to cottage only. Coped ashlar stacks.

SW RANGE: straw barn(?).

SE ELEVATION: wide door with double lintel to right of centre and blinded hayloft opening off-centre left above; cottage abutting to outer right.

NW ELEVATION: full-height sliding 2-leaf timber door. Piended, corrugated asbestos roof.

Statement of Special Interest

Situated on the Pitcairlie Road which runs from Auchtermuchty to Newburgh, Halton (or Hatton) Hill Steading may have been a coaching inn. The road designated in the 1797 Turnpike Act, was not completed until 1813. Andrew Aytoun was granted charter of the lands in 1617 and probably built part of Halton Hill farmhouse (listed separately) soon after. Upgraded C(S) to B.

References

Bibliography

Alexander Laing LINDORES ABBEY AND THE BURGH OF NEWBURGH (1876), p447. Owen Silver THE ROADS OF FIFE (1987), p37.

About Listed Buildings

Historic Environment Scotland is responsible for designating sites and places at the national level. These designations are Scheduled monuments, Listed buildings, Inventory of gardens and designed landscapes and Inventory of historic battlefields.

We make recommendations to the Scottish Government about historic marine protected areas, and the Scottish Ministers decide whether to designate.

Listing is the process that identifies, designates and provides statutory protection for buildings of special architectural or historic interest as set out in the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) (Scotland) Act 1997.

We list buildings which are found to be of special architectural or historic interest using the selection guidance published in Designation Policy and Selection Guidance (2019)

Listed building records provide an indication of the special architectural or historic interest of the listed building which has been identified by its statutory address. The description and additional information provided are supplementary and have no legal weight.

These records are not definitive historical accounts or a complete description of the building(s). If part of a building is not described it does not mean it is not listed. The format of the listed building record has changed over time. Earlier records may be brief and some information will not have been recorded.

The legal part of the listing is the address/name of site which is known as the statutory address. Other than the name or address of a listed building, further details are provided for information purposes only. Historic Environment Scotland does not accept any liability for any loss or damage suffered as a consequence of inaccuracies in the information provided. Addresses and building names may have changed since the date of listing. Even if a number or name is missing from a listing address it will still be listed. Listing covers both the exterior and the interior and any object or structure fixed to the building. Listing also applies to buildings or structures not physically attached but which are part of the curtilage (or land) of the listed building as long as they were erected before 1 July 1948.

While Historic Environment Scotland is responsible for designating listed buildings, the planning authority is responsible for determining what is covered by the listing, including what is listed through curtilage. However, for listed buildings designated or for listings amended from 1 October 2015, legal exclusions to the listing may apply.

If part of a building is not listed, it will say that it is excluded in the statutory address and in the statement of special interest in the listed building record. The statement will use the word 'excluding' and quote the relevant section of the 1997 Act. Some earlier listed building records may use the word 'excluding', but if the Act is not quoted, the record has not been revised to reflect subsequent legislation.

Listed building consent is required for changes to a listed building which affect its character as a building of special architectural or historic interest. The relevant planning authority is the point of contact for applications for listed building consent.

Find out more about listing and our other designations at www.historicenvironment.scot/advice-and-support. You can contact us on 0131 668 8914 or at designations@hes.scot.

Images

There are no images available for this record, you may want to check Canmore for images relating to HALTON HILL STEADING

There are no images available for this record.

Search Canmore

Printed: 07/08/2022 22:19