Listed Building

The only legal part of the listing under the Planning (Listing Buildings and Conservation Areas) (Scotland) Act 1997 is the address/name of site. Addresses and building names may have changed since the date of listing – see 'About Listed Buildings' below for more information. The further details below the 'Address/Name of Site' are provided for information purposes only.

Address/Name of Site

BROUGHTY FERRY, 30 SEAFIELD ROAD, THE PINES, INCLUDING GATEPIERS, BOUNDARY WALL AND LAMPSTANDARDLB25882

Status: Designated

Documents

There are no additional online documents for this record.

Summary

Category
C
Date Added
29/10/1991
Supplementary Information Updated
02/12/2019
Local Authority
Dundee
Planning Authority
Dundee
Burgh
Dundee
NGR
NO 46058 31559
Coordinates
346058, 731559

Description

Mid 19th century; entrance porch extended and NW wing added by C and L Ower, 1900. 2-storey, irregular-plan villa. Stugged snecked rubble, ashlar dressings, piended slate roof. Base course at S and W, lintel course at porch rusticated quoins at S and W, stugged and margined elsewhere. Single, bipartite and canted windows with 4-pane and plate glass glazing pattern, oriel and some stained glass leaded lights at porch. Variety of window surrounds; margins with moulded arrises at original W windows, consoled margins with moulded stop-chamfers at porch; moulded arrises at S elevation, 2-storey canted window with cornice at 1st floor; stugged and margined jambs elsewhere. Deep eaves with paired timber brackets, cast-iron rainwarter goods; corniced stacks with similar decorative cans, gablehead at W, wallhead and shouldered rising through eaves elsewhere, linked at S.

W ELEVATION: wide single storey entrance porch at centre and right, panelled door at centre with glazed half-piended canopy supported on decorative iron frame, consoled tripartite window at left and bipartite oriel at right, slim window at chamfered angle far right, corbelled at top and bottom, flat roof with decorative cast-iron brattishing and angle finials; window at original building at far left, 4 windows at 1st floor, gable at centre; later wing at far left, modern garage door at ground floor formed from 3 windows (top lights remaining), wide half-piended dormerhead breaking through eaves at attic.

S ELEVATION: door at centre formed from cut-down window masked by modern conservatory, bipartute wubdiw at left with moulded cornice and consoled cill, 2 windows at 1st floor, 2-storey canted window at right.

E ELEVATION: bay at left, door (formerly to conservatory) at left, tripartite rectangular window at right re-entrant with cornice and flat roof, 2 windows at 1st floor, stack; advanced bay at right with further lean-to, window at 1st floor right, 2 windows with security bars at ground floor left return, bipartite at 1st.

N ELEVATION: advanced wings at left and right (lower wing at right) with various doors and windows.

INTERIOR: ground floor only seen; some original chimneypieces and decorative cornices, study has fine carved fitted bookcases and mirrored door and shutters. The staircase has been removed.

GATEPIERS AND BOUNDARY WALL: 2 ball-finialled, pyramidal-capped, chamfered ashlar gatepiers with modern wrought-iron gates, low coped quadrants leading to 2 pyramidal-capped piers, adjoining round-coped stugged and snecked rubble boundary wall; wall extends to N, S and E.

LAMPSTANDARD: decoratively moulded cast-iron lampstandard with round base and 4 claw feet on chamfered ashlar base; replacement lantern.

Statement of Special Interest

The house does not appear on the 1857-8 OS map. The drawings on the Central Library, Dundee show the extension of the porch housing a cloakroom and toilet, and alterations to the staircase including the addition of a triple arch, 17th century style screen at the landing with new marching balusters. Ground floor plans suggest the kitchen was removed from the east at this time to the new wing at the north west, the former kitchen being converted to a billiards room. Drawings dated 1907show that new wrought-iron gates and quadrants, including stone ball-finials were propsosed at this time. The house is sub-divided into 2 units.

References

Bibliography

OS 1857-8, 1900; drawings for additions and alterations, Central Library, Dundee, p 147, p 152 (P 8X missing); Broughty Ferry ADPs book 4 pp 29-31.

About Listed Buildings

Historic Environment Scotland is responsible for designating sites and places at the national level. These designations are Scheduled monuments, Listed buildings, Inventory of gardens and designed landscapes and Inventory of historic battlefields.

We make recommendations to the Scottish Government about historic marine protected areas, and the Scottish Ministers decide whether to designate.

Listing is the process that identifies, designates and provides statutory protection for buildings of special architectural or historic interest as set out in the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) (Scotland) Act 1997.

We list buildings which are found to be of special architectural or historic interest using the selection guidance published in Designation Policy and Selection Guidance (2019)

Listed building records provide an indication of the special architectural or historic interest of the listed building which has been identified by its statutory address. The description and additional information provided are supplementary and have no legal weight.

These records are not definitive historical accounts or a complete description of the building(s). If part of a building is not described it does not mean it is not listed. The format of the listed building record has changed over time. Earlier records may be brief and some information will not have been recorded.

The legal part of the listing is the address/name of site which is known as the statutory address. Other than the name or address of a listed building, further details are provided for information purposes only. Historic Environment Scotland does not accept any liability for any loss or damage suffered as a consequence of inaccuracies in the information provided. Addresses and building names may have changed since the date of listing. Even if a number or name is missing from a listing address it will still be listed. Listing covers both the exterior and the interior and any object or structure fixed to the building. Listing also applies to buildings or structures not physically attached but which are part of the curtilage (or land) of the listed building as long as they were erected before 1 July 1948.

While Historic Environment Scotland is responsible for designating listed buildings, the planning authority is responsible for determining what is covered by the listing, including what is listed through curtilage. However, for listed buildings designated or for listings amended from 1 October 2015, legal exclusions to the listing may apply.

If part of a building is not listed, it will say that it is excluded in the statutory address and in the statement of special interest in the listed building record. The statement will use the word 'excluding' and quote the relevant section of the 1997 Act. Some earlier listed building records may use the word 'excluding', but if the Act is not quoted, the record has not been revised to reflect subsequent legislation.

Listed building consent is required for changes to a listed building which affect its character as a building of special architectural or historic interest. The relevant planning authority is the point of contact for applications for listed building consent.

Find out more about listing and our other designations at www.historicenvironment.scot/advice-and-support. You can contact us on 0131 668 8914 or at designations@hes.scot.

Images

There are no images available for this record, you may want to check Canmore for images relating to BROUGHTY FERRY, 30 SEAFIELD ROAD, THE PINES, INCLUDING GATEPIERS, BOUNDARY WALL AND LAMPSTANDARD

There are no images available for this record.

Search Canmore

Printed: 19/05/2024 00:51