Listed Building

The only legal part of the listing under the Planning (Listing Buildings and Conservation Areas) (Scotland) Act 1997 is the address/name of site. Addresses and building names may have changed since the date of listing – see 'About Listed Buildings' below for more information. The further details below the 'Address/Name of Site' are provided for information purposes only.

Address/Name of Site

BOAT OF GARTEN RAILWAY STATION INCLUDING FORMER STATION MASTER'S HOUSE, NORTH SIGNAL BOX, SOUTH SIGNAL BOX AND FOOTBRIDGELB258

Status: Designated

Documents

There are no additional online documents for this record.

Summary

Category
B
Date Added
18/08/1986
Local Authority
Highland
Planning Authority
Highland
Parish
Duthil And Rothiemurchus
National Park
Cairngorms
NGR
NH 94342 18852
Coordinates
294342, 818852

Description

Highland Railway Company, 1863. Range of single storey, timber and stone station buildings on down platform. STATION BUILDING: (rebuilt 1904) long, rectangular-plan in three sections; horizontal timber weatherboarding with entrances to platform and rear elevations. Tripartite glazing above timber doors; multi-pane glazing to timber framed windows. Slate roof (piended to S with ventilator at apex); coped ridge stacks with ashlar skews.

FORMER STATION MASTER'S HOUSE: later 19th century, single storey and attic. Tooled rubble with contrasting tooled ashlar dressings. Centre door to N masked by projecting gabled porch with side entrance (facing railway line to E). Pair canted dormers in outer bays; 4-pane glazing. Slate roof with projecting eaves; coped end stacks.

SIGNAL BOX TO N (Map Ref: NH 94384 19035): Mackenzie and Holland/Highland, rectangular-plan, gabled and weatherboarded signal box. 1st floor accessed by forestair; half-gabled entrance porch outshot to signal cabin; multi-pane glazing to E (trackside) elevation, returning to N and S gable ends.

SIGNAL BOX TO S (Map Ref: NH 94321 18691): Highland Railway, 1922. Rectangular-plan 2-storey signal box. Red-brick with weather-boarding and multi-pane glazing to cabin (operating room) reached by. W elevation: 2 windows to locking room, each with raised ashlar cill and ashlar lintel. N elevation: timber forestair to half-gabled entrance porch outshot at upper level; small windows to E elevation: brick with small window to upper right; tall, wallhead chimney stack to centre, set behind eaves. INTERIOR: McKenzie and Holland, 30 lever 'Cam and Tappet' locking frame.

FOOTBRIDGE: cast-iron lattice girder footbridge by Highland Railway. Cast-iron lamp standards.

Statement of Special Interest

Boat of Garten Station is a fine example of a restored railway station in the Scottish Highlands, now a midway station for the preserved Strathspey Railway. The timber clad and stone buildings form a fine group with the interest of the setting increased by the adjoining rolling yard and various salvaged railway components on the site including a water tower and semaphore signals. The station opened in August 1863 and soon after became a junction between the Highland Railway's main line from Perth to Forres and the Great North of Scotland Railway's branch line to Craigellachie in 1866. It was closed in 1965 during the Beeching cuts. The line was reopened by the Strathspey Railway Company and began running steam trains in 1978 between Aviemore and Boat of Garten and later on to Broomhill with plans to extend the line further.

Signal boxes are a distinctive and now rare building type that make a significant contribution to Scotland's diverse industrial heritage. Of more than 2000 signal boxes built across Scotland by 1948, around 150 currently survive (2013). Boat of Garten has two preserved and fully operational signal boxes. The south box is an excellent example by the Highland Railway Company. Built of brick and timber-weatherboarding with panelled base, raised cills and tall brick stack. Its characteristic Highland Railway Company half-gabled porch entrance and original 30 lever McKenzie and Holland locking frame add further to its interest. The box to the north, a 'Type 3' by renowned signalling manufacturers McKenzie and Holland, is an excellent suvival of this particular type once widespread across the Highland region. Its lever frame (salvaged from nearby Carrbridge South signal box) was installed in 1993. Its original 40 lever frame is understood to also survive in storage. Together, the boxes function to allow two trains to pass each other at this single line station and they add considerable interest to the wider group of preserved railway buildings and rolling yard at Boat of Garten.

Statutory address and list description revised as part of Scottish Signal Box Review (2012-13).

References

Bibliography

The Signalling Study Group, The Signal Box - A Pictorial History and Guide To Designs (1986). Peter Kay and Derek Coe, Signalling Atlas and Signal Box Directory - Great Britain and Ireland (2010 - 3rd Edition).

About Listed Buildings

Historic Environment Scotland is responsible for designating sites and places at the national level. These designations are Scheduled monuments, Listed buildings, Inventory of gardens and designed landscapes and Inventory of historic battlefields.

We make recommendations to the Scottish Government about historic marine protected areas, and the Scottish Ministers decide whether to designate.

Listing is the process that identifies, designates and provides statutory protection for buildings of special architectural or historic interest as set out in the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) (Scotland) Act 1997.

We list buildings which are found to be of special architectural or historic interest using the selection guidance published in Designation Policy and Selection Guidance (2019)

Listed building records provide an indication of the special architectural or historic interest of the listed building which has been identified by its statutory address. The description and additional information provided are supplementary and have no legal weight.

These records are not definitive historical accounts or a complete description of the building(s). If part of a building is not described it does not mean it is not listed. The format of the listed building record has changed over time. Earlier records may be brief and some information will not have been recorded.

The legal part of the listing is the address/name of site which is known as the statutory address. Other than the name or address of a listed building, further details are provided for information purposes only. Historic Environment Scotland does not accept any liability for any loss or damage suffered as a consequence of inaccuracies in the information provided. Addresses and building names may have changed since the date of listing. Even if a number or name is missing from a listing address it will still be listed. Listing covers both the exterior and the interior and any object or structure fixed to the building. Listing also applies to buildings or structures not physically attached but which are part of the curtilage (or land) of the listed building as long as they were erected before 1 July 1948.

While Historic Environment Scotland is responsible for designating listed buildings, the planning authority is responsible for determining what is covered by the listing, including what is listed through curtilage. However, for listed buildings designated or for listings amended from 1 October 2015, legal exclusions to the listing may apply.

If part of a building is not listed, it will say that it is excluded in the statutory address and in the statement of special interest in the listed building record. The statement will use the word 'excluding' and quote the relevant section of the 1997 Act. Some earlier listed building records may use the word 'excluding', but if the Act is not quoted, the record has not been revised to reflect subsequent legislation.

Listed building consent is required for changes to a listed building which affect its character as a building of special architectural or historic interest. The relevant planning authority is the point of contact for applications for listed building consent.

Find out more about listing and our other designations at www.historicenvironment.scot/advice-and-support. You can contact us on 0131 668 8914 or at designations@hes.scot.

Images

There are no images available for this record, you may want to check Canmore for images relating to BOAT OF GARTEN RAILWAY STATION INCLUDING FORMER STATION MASTER'S HOUSE, NORTH SIGNAL BOX, SOUTH SIGNAL BOX AND FOOTBRIDGE

There are no images available for this record.

Search Canmore

Printed: 16/05/2022 12:47