Listed Building

The only legal part of the listing under the Planning (Listing Buildings and Conservation Areas) (Scotland) Act 1997 is the address/name of site. Addresses and building names may have changed since the date of listing – see 'About Listed Buildings' below for more information. The further details below the 'Address/Name of Site' are provided for information purposes only.

Address/Name of Site

CULTS CHURCH, CEMETERY WALLS GATEPIERS AND SESSIONHOUSELB2577

Status: Designated

Documents

There are no additional online documents for this record.

Summary

Category
B
Date Added
01/03/1984
Supplementary Information Updated
05/12/2019
Local Authority
Fife
Planning Authority
Fife
Parish
Cults
NGR
NO 34692 9891
Coordinates
334692, 709891

Description

Built 1793 but may incorporate fabric from an earlier church on the same site. Simple rectangular-plan church with three-stage, square tower centrally placed against west gable. Rubble-built (droved and squared on south wall) with ashlar margins. Tower has forestair leading to door at gallery level, lit by a single oculus and topped by decorative birdcage bellcote (probably re-used ball-finialed).

South elevation: two large and altered round-headed windows (one with 1957 leaded glass panel) to inner bays. Doors and gallery windows to outer bays.

North elevation has a single central window and a window at each level in outer bays.

Doors are studded, with decorative hinges. Straight skews and slate roof.

Interior: partly altered 1835, 18th century panelled, octagonal pulpit with pilastered and pedimented rear screen. Panelled timber box pews. Doors have decorative iron latches. Gallery on three walls supported on wooden columns, panelled front, with clock (presented 1843). Pulpit flanked by wall-mounted marble monuments. That to the left is of Sir David Wilkie RA by Samuel Joseph in 1844. That to the right is of Rev David Wilkie (father of above) and his wife Isabella Lister, by Sir Francis Chantrey RA in 1833.

Rubble-built cemetery walls enclose some interesting 17th, 18th, and 19th century tombstones.

Square gatepiers and an early 19th century, rubble-built session house at the west entrance to the churchyard. The session house has a door below a lamp bracket in the south gable, a single window in the west wall with spun glass panels. Single chimneystack and pantile roof.

Statement of Special Interest

Part of B Group with manse (see separate listing, LB2576) and dovecote (see separate listing (LB2575). Ecclesiastical building in use.

Cults Church has not been significantly altered since the mid-19th century and retains its late 18th century plan form, distinctive stonework features and much of its interior fixtures and fittings.

Sir David Wilkie RA (1785 -1841) was an early 19th century painter. He was an associate of the Royal Academy and Principal Painter in Ordinary to King William IV and Queen Victoria. Wilkie commissioned the monument to his parents. His father was the minister at the time the church was rebuilt. David's sister commissioned the monument to him.

A scheme proposing the insertion of Gothic windows (1873) was not carried out (copies of drawings in National Record of the Historic Environment).

Listed building record updated in 2019 to include further information about Sir David Wilkie and the wall-mounted monuments.

References

Bibliography

Canmore: http://canmore.org.uk/ CANMORE ID 31241 and 252231

Maps

Greenwood, C, Fowler, W. and Sharp, T. (1828) Map of the counties of Fife and Kinross. North East section.

Ordnance Survey (surveyed 1854, published 1856) Fife, Sheet 17 (includes: Collessie; Cults; Falkland; Kettle; Markinch). 1st Edition. Six inches to one mile. Southampton: Ordnance Survey.

Printed Sources

Fasti Ecclesiae Scoticanae (1950) Vol 8 (addenda) p.441.

Gifford, J. (1992) The Buildings of Scotland: Fife. New Haven and London: Yale University Press. p.301.

Groome, F.H. (1896) Ordnance Gazetteer of Scotland, Vol II, p.325.

Gunnis, R.F. Dictionary of British Sculptors 1660-1851. p.95.

Hay, G. (1957) Architecture of Scottish Post Reformation Churches. pp.80, 169, 233 and 256.

Millar, A.H. (1895) Fife Pictorial and Historical, Vol I, p.196.

New Statistical Account (1845) Cults, County of Fife, Vol IX. pp.568 and 574.

Online Sources

Places of Worship in Scotland. Cults Parish Church at http://www.scottishchurches.org.uk/sites/site/id/1042/name/Cults+Parish+Church+Cults+Fife (accessed 21/11/2019).

About Listed Buildings

Historic Environment Scotland is responsible for designating sites and places at the national level. These designations are Scheduled monuments, Listed buildings, Inventory of gardens and designed landscapes and Inventory of historic battlefields.

We make recommendations to the Scottish Government about historic marine protected areas, and the Scottish Ministers decide whether to designate.

Listing is the process that identifies, designates and provides statutory protection for buildings of special architectural or historic interest as set out in the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) (Scotland) Act 1997.

We list buildings which are found to be of special architectural or historic interest using the selection guidance published in Designation Policy and Selection Guidance (2019)

Listed building records provide an indication of the special architectural or historic interest of the listed building which has been identified by its statutory address. The description and additional information provided are supplementary and have no legal weight.

These records are not definitive historical accounts or a complete description of the building(s). If part of a building is not described it does not mean it is not listed. The format of the listed building record has changed over time. Earlier records may be brief and some information will not have been recorded.

The legal part of the listing is the address/name of site which is known as the statutory address. Other than the name or address of a listed building, further details are provided for information purposes only. Historic Environment Scotland does not accept any liability for any loss or damage suffered as a consequence of inaccuracies in the information provided. Addresses and building names may have changed since the date of listing. Even if a number or name is missing from a listing address it will still be listed. Listing covers both the exterior and the interior and any object or structure fixed to the building. Listing also applies to buildings or structures not physically attached but which are part of the curtilage (or land) of the listed building as long as they were erected before 1 July 1948.

While Historic Environment Scotland is responsible for designating listed buildings, the planning authority is responsible for determining what is covered by the listing, including what is listed through curtilage. However, for listed buildings designated or for listings amended from 1 October 2015, legal exclusions to the listing may apply.

If part of a building is not listed, it will say that it is excluded in the statutory address and in the statement of special interest in the listed building record. The statement will use the word 'excluding' and quote the relevant section of the 1997 Act. Some earlier listed building records may use the word 'excluding', but if the Act is not quoted, the record has not been revised to reflect subsequent legislation.

Listed building consent is required for changes to a listed building which affect its character as a building of special architectural or historic interest. The relevant planning authority is the point of contact for applications for listed building consent.

Find out more about listing and our other designations at www.historicenvironment.scot/advice-and-support. You can contact us on 0131 668 8914 or at designations@hes.scot.

Images

There are no images available for this record, you may want to check Canmore for images relating to CULTS CHURCH, CEMETERY WALLS GATEPIERS AND SESSIONHOUSE

There are no images available for this record.

Search Canmore

Printed: 14/08/2022 03:40