Listed Building

The only legal part of the listing under the Planning (Listing Buildings and Conservation Areas) (Scotland) Act 1997 is the address/name of site. Addresses and building names may have changed since the date of listing – see 'About Listed Buildings' below for more information. The further details below the 'Address/Name of Site' are provided for information purposes only.

Address/Name of Site

7 AND 9 WHITEHALL CRESCENTLB25637

Status: Designated

Documents

There are no additional online documents for this record.

Summary

Category
B
Date Added
04/02/1965
Local Authority
Dundee
Planning Authority
Dundee
Burgh
Dundee
NGR
NO 40345 30124
Coordinates
340345, 730124

Description

Malcolm Stark and Rowntree (Glasgow), 1891. 4-storey and attic, 3-bay, tenemental and commercial building with shopfront (former Quaker Meeting House) to ground floor. Sandstone ashlar, grey slate Mansard roof. Corniced ground floor, cill course and lintel band to 1st and 2nd floor, corbelled main cornice over 2nd floor, corniced wallhead course, balustraded parapet from which rises linked corniced stack flanking shoulder-headed window; banded pilaster with paired consoles to ground floor right, 2-storey pilaster above, further pilaster to 3rd floor; architraved windows with triangular and segmental pediments to

1st floor, consoled lintels to 2nd, 2-pane timber sash and case

glazing, round-headed dormers; ashlar-coped skew and corniced ridge stack to right.

FRONT ELEVATION: close entry to right with keystoned round-headed fanlight, modern shopfront to left incorporating original cast-iron columns and 'MEETING HOUSE' at fascia board, 3 windows to each upper floor, parapet stack flanked by dormers.

INTERIOR: not seen.

Statement of Special Interest

Whitehall Street and Crescent was laid out following the City Improvement Act to the overall design of William Mackison (with James Hutton and James Thomson, draughtsmen), following the development of Commercial Street in 1871. Various architects produced different designs but followed Mackison's floor levels and mix of Renaissance details. Robert Keith designed the first of the Whitehall buildings at 5 and 7 Whitehall Street (Whitehall Palace Buildings), dated 1884, for

William Kidd, publisher. In 1989 the original elements of the shopfront of 7 and 9 Whitehall Crescent were revealed from an earlier modernisation.

References

Bibliography

William Kidd, THE DUNDEE MARKET CROSSES (1901), pp27-29; McKean and Walker (1993), pp63-64; Dundee ADPs, book 25, pp246-9.

About Listed Buildings

Historic Environment Scotland is responsible for designating sites and places at the national level. These designations are Scheduled monuments, Listed buildings, Inventory of gardens and designed landscapes and Inventory of historic battlefields.

We make recommendations to the Scottish Government about historic marine protected areas, and the Scottish Ministers decide whether to designate.

Listing is the process that identifies, designates and provides statutory protection for buildings of special architectural or historic interest as set out in the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) (Scotland) Act 1997.

We list buildings which are found to be of special architectural or historic interest using the selection guidance published in Designation Policy and Selection Guidance (2019)

Listed building records provide an indication of the special architectural or historic interest of the listed building which has been identified by its statutory address. The description and additional information provided are supplementary and have no legal weight.

These records are not definitive historical accounts or a complete description of the building(s). If part of a building is not described it does not mean it is not listed. The format of the listed building record has changed over time. Earlier records may be brief and some information will not have been recorded.

The legal part of the listing is the address/name of site which is known as the statutory address. Other than the name or address of a listed building, further details are provided for information purposes only. Historic Environment Scotland does not accept any liability for any loss or damage suffered as a consequence of inaccuracies in the information provided. Addresses and building names may have changed since the date of listing. Even if a number or name is missing from a listing address it will still be listed. Listing covers both the exterior and the interior and any object or structure fixed to the building. Listing also applies to buildings or structures not physically attached but which are part of the curtilage (or land) of the listed building as long as they were erected before 1 July 1948.

While Historic Environment Scotland is responsible for designating listed buildings, the planning authority is responsible for determining what is covered by the listing, including what is listed through curtilage. However, for listed buildings designated or for listings amended from 1 October 2015, legal exclusions to the listing may apply.

If part of a building is not listed, it will say that it is excluded in the statutory address and in the statement of special interest in the listed building record. The statement will use the word 'excluding' and quote the relevant section of the 1997 Act. Some earlier listed building records may use the word 'excluding', but if the Act is not quoted, the record has not been revised to reflect subsequent legislation.

Listed building consent is required for changes to a listed building which affect its character as a building of special architectural or historic interest. The relevant planning authority is the point of contact for applications for listed building consent.

Find out more about listing and our other designations at www.historicenvironment.scot/advice-and-support. You can contact us on 0131 668 8914 or at designations@hes.scot.

Images

There are no images available for this record, you may want to check Canmore for images relating to 7 AND 9 WHITEHALL CRESCENT

There are no images available for this record.

Search Canmore

Printed: 18/05/2024 23:16