Listed Building

The only legal part of the listing under the Planning (Listing Buildings and Conservation Areas) (Scotland) Act 1997 is the address/name of site. Addresses and building names may have changed since the date of listing – see 'About Listed Buildings' below for more information. The further details below the 'Address/Name of Site' are provided for information purposes only.

Address/Name of Site

112-116 (EVEN NOS) NETHERGATE, MEADOWSIDE ST PAUL'S CHURCH OF SCOTLAND, CORNERSTONE COFFEE HOUSE AND CHURCH OF SCOTLAND BOOKSHOPLB25441

Status: Designated

Documents

There are no additional online documents for this record.

Summary

Category
B
Date Added
26/06/1987
Local Authority
Dundee
Planning Authority
Dundee
Burgh
Dundee
NGR
NO 40140 30007
Coordinates
340140, 730007

Description

Charles Wilson, 1850-52; shopfronts W M Patrick, 1936. Cruciform-plan Gothic style church with notable 3-stage tower and spire between shopfronts. Sandstone ashlar front, coursed rubble to sides, cream ashlar dressings, slate roof.

N ELEVATION: central tower with angle buttresses; pointed-arch entrance with wooden traceried fanlight, nookshafts, dog-tooth moulding and hoodmould enclosing tympanum, cusped lancet in 2nd stage to N, E and W elevations, paired tall louvred lancets at belfry stage set in panels with corbel table, latter broken by single louvred lucarnes which rise into spire; broached spire with angle pinnacles and cross finial. Porches with lean-to fishscale slate roofs flank tower, pointed-arch doors similar to main door, quatrefoils over. Cusped lancets to N gable of church, angle buttresses and finials. Shops: single storey with flat roofs, plate-glass windows, balustraded parapets.

E AND W ELEVATIONS: 3 simple lancets to main body of church, 2 to re-entrants of gabled transepts, 3 smaller lancets to ground floor of gables, 3-light traceried pointed window above with trefoil at apex, gabletted ashlar skews and skewputts, gable stack.

S ELEVATION: slightly projecting S gable, 3 lancets and basement doors to hall.

INTERIOR: galleried with timber collar and hammerbeam roof, wide to transept crossing with traceried ventilators (installed 1882). Woodwork lightened in 1936 and 1958. Organ by Walker and Co, Ludwigsbury, Wurttemberg, and oak pulpit installed 1902. Notable stained glass windows installed 1898, 1910, 1911 and 1914 by Jones and Willis of Birmingham, and in 1949 by A Russell. Main hall below.

Statement of Special Interest

An ecclesiastical building in use as such, combining five congregations: St Andrews, Chapelside; St George's, Meadowside; Albert Square (Gaelic); Tay Square; and St Paul's Nethergate, all formerly Free or UP churches. The shops were formerly the office of Burns and Harris, printers and publishers. The hall was extended to the south in 1989 by Reid and Greig.

References

Bibliography

McKean and Walker (1993), pp63-4; Dundee ADPs, book 82, p223 (shopfronts).

About Listed Buildings

Historic Environment Scotland is responsible for designating sites and places at the national level. These designations are Scheduled monuments, Listed buildings, Inventory of gardens and designed landscapes and Inventory of historic battlefields.

We make recommendations to the Scottish Government about historic marine protected areas, and the Scottish Ministers decide whether to designate.

Listing is the process that identifies, designates and provides statutory protection for buildings of special architectural or historic interest as set out in the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) (Scotland) Act 1997.

We list buildings which are found to be of special architectural or historic interest using the selection guidance published in Designation Policy and Selection Guidance (2019)

Listed building records provide an indication of the special architectural or historic interest of the listed building which has been identified by its statutory address. The description and additional information provided are supplementary and have no legal weight.

These records are not definitive historical accounts or a complete description of the building(s). If part of a building is not described it does not mean it is not listed. The format of the listed building record has changed over time. Earlier records may be brief and some information will not have been recorded.

The legal part of the listing is the address/name of site which is known as the statutory address. Other than the name or address of a listed building, further details are provided for information purposes only. Historic Environment Scotland does not accept any liability for any loss or damage suffered as a consequence of inaccuracies in the information provided. Addresses and building names may have changed since the date of listing. Even if a number or name is missing from a listing address it will still be listed. Listing covers both the exterior and the interior and any object or structure fixed to the building. Listing also applies to buildings or structures not physically attached but which are part of the curtilage (or land) of the listed building as long as they were erected before 1 July 1948.

While Historic Environment Scotland is responsible for designating listed buildings, the planning authority is responsible for determining what is covered by the listing, including what is listed through curtilage. However, for listed buildings designated or for listings amended from 1 October 2015, legal exclusions to the listing may apply.

If part of a building is not listed, it will say that it is excluded in the statutory address and in the statement of special interest in the listed building record. The statement will use the word 'excluding' and quote the relevant section of the 1997 Act. Some earlier listed building records may use the word 'excluding', but if the Act is not quoted, the record has not been revised to reflect subsequent legislation.

Listed building consent is required for changes to a listed building which affect its character as a building of special architectural or historic interest. The relevant planning authority is the point of contact for applications for listed building consent.

Find out more about listing and our other designations at www.historicenvironment.scot/advice-and-support. You can contact us on 0131 668 8914 or at designations@hes.scot.

Images

There are no images available for this record, you may want to check Canmore for images relating to 112-116 (EVEN NOS) NETHERGATE, MEADOWSIDE ST PAUL'S CHURCH OF SCOTLAND, CORNERSTONE COFFEE HOUSE AND CHURCH OF SCOTLAND BOOKSHOP

There are no images available for this record.

Search Canmore

Printed: 20/05/2024 06:18