Listed Building

The only legal part of the listing under the Planning (Listing Buildings and Conservation Areas) (Scotland) Act 1997 is the address/name of site. Addresses and building names may have changed since the date of listing – see 'About Listed Buildings' below for more information. The further details below the 'Address/Name of Site' are provided for information purposes only.

Address/Name of Site

110, 116 ALBERT STREET, ST JOHN'S EPISCOPAL CHURCH AND FORMER HALLLB25168

Status: Designated

Documents

There are no additional online documents for this record.

Summary

Category
B
Date Added
30/06/1989
Local Authority
Dundee
Planning Authority
Dundee
Burgh
Dundee
NGR
NO 41104 31374
Coordinates
341104, 731374

Description

Rev Edward Sugden, 1885. Simple small Gothic church with

nave, apsidal chancel, aisles and attached hall. Rubble

built with ashlar dressings, set at picturesque 45 degree

angle to the street.

Canted porch, pointed arched entrance leading to shouldered

arched door with inscription. 3 trefoiled triple lights

to aisles, timber clerestory of mullioned triple lights.

3-sided apse to chancel, side bay splayed to pavement

line. Cusped single and 2-light windows. NE (liturgical W)

gable with 2 square-headed windows, originally 2-light

(altered for stained glass 1904) and oculus. Angle

chamfered and corbelled out at left, stack to right.

Square-section bellcote with louvres, cusps, steep French

slate roof and wrought-iron cross finial. Slate roof,

ridge tiles over chancel, Celtic cross finial to chancel

arch, wrought-iron finial to apse. Small pane cathedral

glazing, except to apse and NE gable stained glass.

HALL: 3-bay gable to street. Centre door, 2 flanking

top-hopper windows, upper small paned traceried window,

hoodmoulds. Brick rear. Slate roof with skylight.

Wrought-iron finial.

INTERIOR, CHURCH: 4-bay nave and aisles with timber hammer

beam roof on timber arcade. Windows hoodmoulded stained

glass in chancel and at rear, latter dated 1904.

Refurnished by Thoms and Wilkie, high quality woodwork

by Jones and Willis. Ornate carved counter balanced font

cover, pulpit anc choir stalls with mythological beasts as

arm rests. Perpendicular Gothic old organ case. Carved

reredoes with triptych. Ashlar chancel arch, marble chancel

floor and rail, brass altar rail. Wrought-iron light fittings.

Statement of Special Interest

Ecclesiastical building in use as such. New hall,

constructed in 1987 to rear of church, is excluded from

list. Furnishings are of particularly high quality.

References

Bibliography

Thoms and Wilkie photograph album.

About Listed Buildings

Historic Environment Scotland is responsible for designating sites and places at the national level. These designations are Scheduled monuments, Listed buildings, Inventory of gardens and designed landscapes and Inventory of historic battlefields.

We make recommendations to the Scottish Government about historic marine protected areas, and the Scottish Ministers decide whether to designate.

Listing is the process that identifies, designates and provides statutory protection for buildings of special architectural or historic interest as set out in the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) (Scotland) Act 1997.

We list buildings which are found to be of special architectural or historic interest using the selection guidance published in Designation Policy and Selection Guidance (2019)

Listed building records provide an indication of the special architectural or historic interest of the listed building which has been identified by its statutory address. The description and additional information provided are supplementary and have no legal weight.

These records are not definitive historical accounts or a complete description of the building(s). If part of a building is not described it does not mean it is not listed. The format of the listed building record has changed over time. Earlier records may be brief and some information will not have been recorded.

The legal part of the listing is the address/name of site which is known as the statutory address. Other than the name or address of a listed building, further details are provided for information purposes only. Historic Environment Scotland does not accept any liability for any loss or damage suffered as a consequence of inaccuracies in the information provided. Addresses and building names may have changed since the date of listing. Even if a number or name is missing from a listing address it will still be listed. Listing covers both the exterior and the interior and any object or structure fixed to the building. Listing also applies to buildings or structures not physically attached but which are part of the curtilage (or land) of the listed building as long as they were erected before 1 July 1948.

While Historic Environment Scotland is responsible for designating listed buildings, the planning authority is responsible for determining what is covered by the listing, including what is listed through curtilage. However, for listed buildings designated or for listings amended from 1 October 2015, legal exclusions to the listing may apply.

If part of a building is not listed, it will say that it is excluded in the statutory address and in the statement of special interest in the listed building record. The statement will use the word 'excluding' and quote the relevant section of the 1997 Act. Some earlier listed building records may use the word 'excluding', but if the Act is not quoted, the record has not been revised to reflect subsequent legislation.

Listed building consent is required for changes to a listed building which affect its character as a building of special architectural or historic interest. The relevant planning authority is the point of contact for applications for listed building consent.

Find out more about listing and our other designations at www.historicenvironment.scot/advice-and-support. You can contact us on 0131 668 8914 or at designations@hes.scot.

Images

There are no images available for this record, you may want to check Canmore for images relating to 110, 116 ALBERT STREET, ST JOHN'S EPISCOPAL CHURCH AND FORMER HALL

There are no images available for this record.

Search Canmore

Printed: 30/05/2024 03:58