Listed Building

The only legal part of the listing under the Planning (Listing Buildings and Conservation Areas) (Scotland) Act 1997 is the address/name of site. Addresses and building names may have changed since the date of listing – see 'About Listed Buildings' below for more information. The further details below the 'Address/Name of Site' are provided for information purposes only.

Address/Name of Site

42-48 (EVEN NOS) CASTLE STREET/2-8 (EVEN NOS) EXCHANGE STREETLB25039

Status: Designated

Documents

There are no additional online documents for this record.

Summary

Category
B
Date Added
04/02/1965
Local Authority
Dundee
Planning Authority
Dundee
Burgh
Dundee
NGR
NO 40464 30229
Coordinates
340464, 730229

Description

David Mackenzie, 1832. 4-storey, 6-bay to Castle Street, 7-bay to Exchange Street, quadrant bay to angle, tenemental building with public house and shopfronts at ground floor. Sandstone ashlar, ashlar dressings (some refaced in concrete), piended slate roof. Painted, pilastraded ground floor, Greek Doric columns in antis at angle, corniced frieze with 4 laurel wreath motifs to each elevation. Cill course to 1st and 2nd floor, eaves course, margined angles; mostly 2-pane timber sash and case windows, architraved and corniced to 1st floor, architraved to 2nd, margined to 3rd. Ashlar-coped skews, harled axial stacks, linked wallhead stack to Exchange Street.

CASTLE STREET ELEVATION: Close door to ground floor centre, 6 windows to 1st floor (additional small window between 1st and 2nd bays from right), 6 windows to 2nd and 3rd floor; slightly recessed quadrant bay to right, window to all floors.

EXCHANGE STREET ELEVATION: close door to ground floor 2nd bay from right, 7 windows to 1st, 2nd and 3rd floor.

INTERIOR: Plaster ceilings and panelling to 1st floor front rooms; Two 20th century stained glass windows to 1st floor rear.

Statement of Special Interest

There is a suite of offices at the 1st floor entered from 40 Castle Street contemporary with Frank Thomson's office entrance of 1919, also listed.

References

Bibliography

McKEAN AND WALKER (1993), pp22-24.

About Listed Buildings

Historic Environment Scotland is responsible for designating sites and places at the national level. These designations are Scheduled monuments, Listed buildings, Inventory of gardens and designed landscapes and Inventory of historic battlefields.

We make recommendations to the Scottish Government about historic marine protected areas, and the Scottish Ministers decide whether to designate.

Listing is the process that identifies, designates and provides statutory protection for buildings of special architectural or historic interest as set out in the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) (Scotland) Act 1997.

We list buildings which are found to be of special architectural or historic interest using the selection guidance published in Designation Policy and Selection Guidance (2019)

Listed building records provide an indication of the special architectural or historic interest of the listed building which has been identified by its statutory address. The description and additional information provided are supplementary and have no legal weight.

These records are not definitive historical accounts or a complete description of the building(s). If part of a building is not described it does not mean it is not listed. The format of the listed building record has changed over time. Earlier records may be brief and some information will not have been recorded.

The legal part of the listing is the address/name of site which is known as the statutory address. Other than the name or address of a listed building, further details are provided for information purposes only. Historic Environment Scotland does not accept any liability for any loss or damage suffered as a consequence of inaccuracies in the information provided. Addresses and building names may have changed since the date of listing. Even if a number or name is missing from a listing address it will still be listed. Listing covers both the exterior and the interior and any object or structure fixed to the building. Listing also applies to buildings or structures not physically attached but which are part of the curtilage (or land) of the listed building as long as they were erected before 1 July 1948.

While Historic Environment Scotland is responsible for designating listed buildings, the planning authority is responsible for determining what is covered by the listing, including what is listed through curtilage. However, for listed buildings designated or for listings amended from 1 October 2015, legal exclusions to the listing may apply.

If part of a building is not listed, it will say that it is excluded in the statutory address and in the statement of special interest in the listed building record. The statement will use the word 'excluding' and quote the relevant section of the 1997 Act. Some earlier listed building records may use the word 'excluding', but if the Act is not quoted, the record has not been revised to reflect subsequent legislation.

Listed building consent is required for changes to a listed building which affect its character as a building of special architectural or historic interest. The relevant planning authority is the point of contact for applications for listed building consent.

Find out more about listing and our other designations at www.historicenvironment.scot/advice-and-support. You can contact us on 0131 668 8914 or at designations@hes.scot.

Images

There are no images available for this record, you may want to check Canmore for images relating to 42-48 (EVEN NOS) CASTLE STREET/2-8 (EVEN NOS) EXCHANGE STREET

There are no images available for this record.

Search Canmore

Printed: 18/05/2024 23:56