Listed Building

The only legal part of the listing under the Planning (Listing Buildings and Conservation Areas) (Scotland) Act 1997 is the address/name of site. Addresses and building names may have changed since the date of listing – see 'About Listed Buildings' below for more information. The further details below the 'Address/Name of Site' are provided for information purposes only.

Address/Name of Site

63-73 (ODD NOS) KING STREETLB25022

Status: Designated

Documents

There are no additional online documents for this record.

Summary

Category
B
Date Added
18/05/1987
Local Authority
Dundee
Planning Authority
Dundee
Burgh
Dundee
NGR
NO 40680 30777
Coordinates
340680, 730777

Description

Circa 1830-40, iron-framed flax mill, later a warehouse,

converted to offices for Low and Bonar by R Gibson in

circa 1913.

Elevation to King Street remodelled circa 1913 2-storey

14-bay commercial block of snecked rubble with ashlar

dressings. 3 arched entrances at centre and end bays of

ground floor. 2 are loading bays and W bay forms entrance

to office with original door below leaded Diocletian

window. Bipartite, tripartite over entrances, sash and

case windows with corbelled cills and leaded upper panes

at 1st floor. Cornice and parapet with central Art Nouveau

curvilinear pediment over attic Diocletian window. Rear

elevation, excluding W wing, is substantially 1830s rubble.

4 storeys (2 below road level forming part of East Port

Works) with projecting circular stair having conical slate

roof. Top floor window altered to bipartite. Attic dormer

hoist, other dormers modern. Slate roof.

Interior: Ground floor from King Street 1830s 2 rows of

cast-iron columns carry brick arches, cast-iron beams and

wrought-iron ties. Some partitions. 1st floor remodelled

as offices with 2 rows of Doric cast-iron columns. Fine

panelled marble stair, with lift in well, stained glass

window and Ionic pilastered entrances. Attic altered.

Statement of Special Interest

1850 plan shows "Fireproof Flax Mill, now a Warehouse", so

the building can have served as a mill for only a few years,

perhaps put up by William Shaw of the East Port Calender

during the 1830s boom.

When the East Port Calender was acquired by Low and Bonar

in 1907, the warehouse was converted to the head office

of the major textile manufacturers and exporters. See 100

Cowgate, East Port Works, for basement.

References

Bibliography

Dundee Public Library Plan of Property of Kinmond, Strachan

and Co, 1850. (D3). LOW AND BONAR LTD (circa 1955).

About Listed Buildings

Historic Environment Scotland is responsible for designating sites and places at the national level. These designations are Scheduled monuments, Listed buildings, Inventory of gardens and designed landscapes and Inventory of historic battlefields.

We make recommendations to the Scottish Government about historic marine protected areas, and the Scottish Ministers decide whether to designate.

Listing is the process that identifies, designates and provides statutory protection for buildings of special architectural or historic interest as set out in the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) (Scotland) Act 1997.

We list buildings which are found to be of special architectural or historic interest using the selection guidance published in Designation Policy and Selection Guidance (2019)

Listed building records provide an indication of the special architectural or historic interest of the listed building which has been identified by its statutory address. The description and additional information provided are supplementary and have no legal weight.

These records are not definitive historical accounts or a complete description of the building(s). If part of a building is not described it does not mean it is not listed. The format of the listed building record has changed over time. Earlier records may be brief and some information will not have been recorded.

The legal part of the listing is the address/name of site which is known as the statutory address. Other than the name or address of a listed building, further details are provided for information purposes only. Historic Environment Scotland does not accept any liability for any loss or damage suffered as a consequence of inaccuracies in the information provided. Addresses and building names may have changed since the date of listing. Even if a number or name is missing from a listing address it will still be listed. Listing covers both the exterior and the interior and any object or structure fixed to the building. Listing also applies to buildings or structures not physically attached but which are part of the curtilage (or land) of the listed building as long as they were erected before 1 July 1948.

While Historic Environment Scotland is responsible for designating listed buildings, the planning authority is responsible for determining what is covered by the listing, including what is listed through curtilage. However, for listed buildings designated or for listings amended from 1 October 2015, legal exclusions to the listing may apply.

If part of a building is not listed, it will say that it is excluded in the statutory address and in the statement of special interest in the listed building record. The statement will use the word 'excluding' and quote the relevant section of the 1997 Act. Some earlier listed building records may use the word 'excluding', but if the Act is not quoted, the record has not been revised to reflect subsequent legislation.

Listed building consent is required for changes to a listed building which affect its character as a building of special architectural or historic interest. The relevant planning authority is the point of contact for applications for listed building consent.

Find out more about listing and our other designations at www.historicenvironment.scot/advice-and-support. You can contact us on 0131 668 8914 or at designations@hes.scot.

Images

There are no images available for this record, you may want to check Canmore for images relating to 63-73 (ODD NOS) KING STREET

There are no images available for this record.

Search Canmore

Printed: 30/05/2024 07:42