Listed Building

The only legal part of the listing under the Planning (Listing Buildings and Conservation Areas) (Scotland) Act 1997 is the address/name of site. Addresses and building names may have changed since the date of listing – see 'About Listed Buildings' below for more information. The further details below the 'Address/Name of Site' are provided for information purposes only.

Address/Name of Site

1 DURA STREET AND RETURN ELEVATIONS TO DENS ROAD, COWAN STREET AND BROWN CONSTABLE STREET, DURA WORKS (EXCLUDING SINGLE-STOREY REAR)LB24999

Status: Designated

Documents

There are no additional online documents for this record.

Summary

Category
B
Date Added
18/05/1987
Local Authority
Dundee
Planning Authority
Dundee
Burgh
Dundee
NGR
NO 40760 31236
Coordinates
340760, 731236

Description

1834-6, 2-storey and attic L-plan, rubble-built, iron

framed flax and jute mill. The oldest mill faces Dens

Road; next was the 14-bay mill in Cowan St. The two are

linked by a 6-bay extension to the Cowan St Mill, fully

completed 1851-7.

Dens Road: 2-storey and raised attic 12- by 3-bay mill.

W elevation: 2 tripartite sash and case windows for beam

engine house towards N end of mill. Original boiler house

in ground floor of mill in 3 bays to N (adjoining later

boiler house excluded from list), and 2 widely spaced

windows at 1st floor. Blind 2nd floor, raised in later

19th century. E elevation: ground floor arcade at N to

boiler house. Projecting stone stair by engine house.

Upper wall carried on stout flanged cast-iron columns with

massive cruciform brackets and large cast-iron beams

inserted in 1860s for access from preparing sheds. Upper

floors similar to W elevation with later lift and wc block

at N. Fenestration at N elevation forms an inverted triangle

with door at base, 2 windows to ground floor boiler house,

3 closely spaced windows at 1st floor and 3 more widely

spaced windows at 2nd floor. Small oculus and flat-topped

finial to N gable. Regular 3-storey 3-bay S gable, with

small oculus and flat-topped finial.

Cowan St: long 2-storey range with cornice and original

attic, built in 3 stages. A regular 14-bay mill with

small engine room marked by a round-headed window at W end.

Complex 6-bay link to Dura St mill, partially recessed and

corbelled, including 2 windows with cast-iron mullions at

1st floor. N elevation: upper wall carried on stout flanged

cast-iron columns inserted in 1870s. 1st floor similar to

S elevation but part with small late addition, brick with

hipped roof, over loading bay, originally a courtyard.

E elevation 2-bay ground floor, with later loading door.

Single window combined with a hoist door at 1st floor.

Cornice, window, oculus and flat-topped finial to gable.

Windows at 1st floor of Cowan St Mill are 12-pane sash and

case, rest are later 19th century 10-pane top-hoppers.

Interior: Ground and 1st floors fireproof. Flanged

cast-iron columns carry cast-iron beams (with eyelets at

1st floor of Dens Road block), brick arches and wrought

iron-ties. Dens Road mill has steel reinforcements and

a single-span timber roof from later 19th century. Heavy

cast-iron columns, beams and massive brackets carry the

N and E walls at ground floor level. Original plastered

timber roof with wrought-iron ties over Cowan St mill,

with continuous skylight to N and single skylights to S

Concrete floor inserted in engine house. Fine spiral stair

with ashlar newal.

Statement of Special Interest

List excludes 2-storey office at Dura St, 1865 weaving shed,

extended to Brown Constable St for spinning in 1889, and

1860s-70s preparing shed in angle of mills.

Opened in 1836 by J and H Walker of Blebo Mills, Dura Den, near

Cupar, Fife. In 1873 Harry Walker and Sons moved to Caldrum

Works and P J Walker carried on Dura Works. James Scott acquired

Dura Works in 1888 to spin yard woven at Mid Wynd Works, and

Dura Works is now the major surviving building that belonged to

this significant company.

References

Bibliography

A H Millar (1925) p75-6 DARC GD/JS (James Scott records)

About Listed Buildings

Historic Environment Scotland is responsible for designating sites and places at the national level. These designations are Scheduled monuments, Listed buildings, Inventory of gardens and designed landscapes and Inventory of historic battlefields.

We make recommendations to the Scottish Government about historic marine protected areas, and the Scottish Ministers decide whether to designate.

Listing is the process that identifies, designates and provides statutory protection for buildings of special architectural or historic interest as set out in the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) (Scotland) Act 1997.

We list buildings which are found to be of special architectural or historic interest using the selection guidance published in Designation Policy and Selection Guidance (2019)

Listed building records provide an indication of the special architectural or historic interest of the listed building which has been identified by its statutory address. The description and additional information provided are supplementary and have no legal weight.

These records are not definitive historical accounts or a complete description of the building(s). If part of a building is not described it does not mean it is not listed. The format of the listed building record has changed over time. Earlier records may be brief and some information will not have been recorded.

The legal part of the listing is the address/name of site which is known as the statutory address. Other than the name or address of a listed building, further details are provided for information purposes only. Historic Environment Scotland does not accept any liability for any loss or damage suffered as a consequence of inaccuracies in the information provided. Addresses and building names may have changed since the date of listing. Even if a number or name is missing from a listing address it will still be listed. Listing covers both the exterior and the interior and any object or structure fixed to the building. Listing also applies to buildings or structures not physically attached but which are part of the curtilage (or land) of the listed building as long as they were erected before 1 July 1948.

While Historic Environment Scotland is responsible for designating listed buildings, the planning authority is responsible for determining what is covered by the listing, including what is listed through curtilage. However, for listed buildings designated or for listings amended from 1 October 2015, legal exclusions to the listing may apply.

If part of a building is not listed, it will say that it is excluded in the statutory address and in the statement of special interest in the listed building record. The statement will use the word 'excluding' and quote the relevant section of the 1997 Act. Some earlier listed building records may use the word 'excluding', but if the Act is not quoted, the record has not been revised to reflect subsequent legislation.

Listed building consent is required for changes to a listed building which affect its character as a building of special architectural or historic interest. The relevant planning authority is the point of contact for applications for listed building consent.

Find out more about listing and our other designations at www.historicenvironment.scot/advice-and-support. You can contact us on 0131 668 8914 or at designations@hes.scot.

Images

There are no images available for this record, you may want to check Canmore for images relating to 1 DURA STREET AND RETURN ELEVATIONS TO DENS ROAD, COWAN STREET AND BROWN CONSTABLE STREET, DURA WORKS (EXCLUDING SINGLE-STOREY REAR)

There are no images available for this record.

Search Canmore

Printed: 20/05/2024 06:19