Listed Building

The only legal part of the listing under the Planning (Listing Buildings and Conservation Areas) (Scotland) Act 1997 is the address/name of site. Addresses and building names may have changed since the date of listing – see 'About Listed Buildings' below for more information. The further details below the 'Address/Name of Site' are provided for information purposes only.

Address/Name of Site

EASTERN WHARF, PRINCESS ALEXANDRA WHARF AND CALEDON WEST WHARFLB24947

Status: Designated

Documents

There are no additional online documents for this record.

Summary

Category
B
Date Added
02/11/1989
Local Authority
Dundee
Planning Authority
Dundee
Burgh
Dundee
NGR
NO 41962 30602
Coordinates
341962, 730602

Description

David Cunningham 1890, widened in 3 stages by J Hannay Thomson and the Yorkshire Hennebique Contracting Company 1903, 1909, first part opened 1905, W of Cattle Wharf (no Ro-Ro). 2nd stage also known as Princess Alexandra Wharf, slightly advanced. Caledon West Wharf jettied out by 1909 for installation of engines and boilers in Caledon ships.

Ashlar-fronted wharf extended for deep-water ships on open reinforced concrete framework. Mouchel Patent cylinder piers alternate with square-section pillars with diagonal raking struts behind. Shuttered concrete surface. Timber fenders and cast-iron bollards. Caledon West Wharf similarly constructed.

Statement of Special Interest

The first reinforced concrete wharf in Scotland, then the longest in the UK. This followed the experimental construction of the road and railway bridge at Western Wharf Road in 1903, the first rinforced concrete bridge in Scotland. The King George V wharf, not listed, was built to a similar system in 3 stages: 1913-15, 1924-6 and 1930.

The transit sheds of 1890 were replaced by new warehouses in 1988, excluded from listing. Ro-Ro terminal and former Caledon boilershop also excluded from listing.

References

Bibliography

J Hannay Thomson DUNDEE HARBOUR TRUST CENTENEARY 1830-1930 (1930) pp23-4.

L G Mouchel and Partners HENNEBIQUE FERRO-CONCRETE THEORY AND PRACTICE. A HANDBOOK FOR ENGINEERS AND ARCHITECTS (1909) pp60, 308-9.

About Listed Buildings

Historic Environment Scotland is responsible for designating sites and places at the national level. These designations are Scheduled monuments, Listed buildings, Inventory of gardens and designed landscapes and Inventory of historic battlefields.

We make recommendations to the Scottish Government about historic marine protected areas, and the Scottish Ministers decide whether to designate.

Listing is the process that identifies, designates and provides statutory protection for buildings of special architectural or historic interest as set out in the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) (Scotland) Act 1997.

We list buildings which are found to be of special architectural or historic interest using the selection guidance published in Designation Policy and Selection Guidance (2019)

Listed building records provide an indication of the special architectural or historic interest of the listed building which has been identified by its statutory address. The description and additional information provided are supplementary and have no legal weight.

These records are not definitive historical accounts or a complete description of the building(s). If part of a building is not described it does not mean it is not listed. The format of the listed building record has changed over time. Earlier records may be brief and some information will not have been recorded.

The legal part of the listing is the address/name of site which is known as the statutory address. Other than the name or address of a listed building, further details are provided for information purposes only. Historic Environment Scotland does not accept any liability for any loss or damage suffered as a consequence of inaccuracies in the information provided. Addresses and building names may have changed since the date of listing. Even if a number or name is missing from a listing address it will still be listed. Listing covers both the exterior and the interior and any object or structure fixed to the building. Listing also applies to buildings or structures not physically attached but which are part of the curtilage (or land) of the listed building as long as they were erected before 1 July 1948.

While Historic Environment Scotland is responsible for designating listed buildings, the planning authority is responsible for determining what is covered by the listing, including what is listed through curtilage. However, for listed buildings designated or for listings amended from 1 October 2015, legal exclusions to the listing may apply.

If part of a building is not listed, it will say that it is excluded in the statutory address and in the statement of special interest in the listed building record. The statement will use the word 'excluding' and quote the relevant section of the 1997 Act. Some earlier listed building records may use the word 'excluding', but if the Act is not quoted, the record has not been revised to reflect subsequent legislation.

Listed building consent is required for changes to a listed building which affect its character as a building of special architectural or historic interest. The relevant planning authority is the point of contact for applications for listed building consent.

Find out more about listing and our other designations at www.historicenvironment.scot/advice-and-support. You can contact us on 0131 668 8914 or at designations@hes.scot.

Images

There are no images available for this record, you may want to check Canmore for images relating to EASTERN WHARF, PRINCESS ALEXANDRA WHARF AND CALEDON WEST WHARF

There are no images available for this record.

Search Canmore

Printed: 30/05/2024 07:07