Listed Building

The only legal part of the listing under the Planning (Listing Buildings and Conservation Areas) (Scotland) Act 1997 is the address/name of site. Addresses and building names may have changed since the date of listing – see 'About Listed Buildings' below for more information. The further details below the 'Address/Name of Site' are provided for information purposes only.

Address/Name of Site

62 ARBROATH ROAD, TAYBANK WORKS (OLD POWERLOOM FACTORY, CALENDER AND 3-STOREY MILL ONLY, TAY WEAVERS LTD)LB24931

Status: Designated

Documents

There are no additional online documents for this record.

Summary

Category
B
Date Added
18/05/1987
Local Authority
Dundee
Planning Authority
Dundee
Burgh
Dundee
NGR
NO 41344 31175
Coordinates
341344, 731175

Description

Circa 1860-1 power loom factory, extended to N by 7 bays and a 3-bay calender in 1919-21, and 3-storey mill, latter by Pearce Brothers, Lilybank Foundry, 1873.

a. Power loom factory, single-storey on corner of Morgan Street and Arbroath Road. S elevation 9 top-hopper windows set in corbelled recessed bays. W elevation 7-bay, 3 at S circa 1860 double-pitched roofs with bipartite roundheaded sash and case windows in gables. 4 bays to N added 1919-21, angled N-lit roofs, except N dressing bay, with keystoned oculi. E elevation 7-bay, first 5 with 1860 bipartites similar to W elevation, 2 altered to N-lit in 1919-21. 6th bay 2- storey gable with hoist. Slate roofs with long N-facing skylights, later ventilators. 7th bay and 2-storey section of 6th bay are lit to N and S and have louvred ridge ventilators for steam dressing.

b. Calender adjoining to N 1921 3 taller angled N-lit gables with oculi, 8 tall windows and original loading bay in W elevation.

c. Jute spinning mill (excluding 1-storey parts). 1873 2-storey and attic 8-by 3-bay mill. S elevation 8 bay, with 2 ground floor windows altered. Attic-level band course and main cornice. 8-pane top-hopper fenestration altered for toilets. 2 large blocked roundheaded windows, lit engine house which extends to N, 2-storey with piended roof. N elevation 6-bay, open at ground floor. E gable brick allowing for planned but unbuilt 7-bay extension. Wooden boarding covers cast-iron roof truss. Cast iron fire escape. Mansard slate roof with continuous skylights to N and S.

Interiors: a. Power loom factory, 6 rows of cast-iron columns carrying in 3 S bays collar beam roofs, plastered for fireproofing, original multi-raftered skylights. Wrought iron ties with ogee bosses. Shouldered arched recesses in W wall. Standard N-lit timber roof trusses to N, with small concrete-floored 2-storey section, 7th bay contains double dressing machine, 1919-21, 1 of a pair.

b. Calender. 2 rows of tall cast-iron columns carry 3 wide-span timber roofs. Mezzanine timber floor on short cast-iron columns and steel beams for light finishing machines forms U around heavy machinery. Large 5-bowl calender, complete with arms, weights and overhead shafting by Robertson and Orchar, 1921, 1 of a pair.

c. Mill: fireproof, 2 rows of cast-iron columns carry cast-iron beams, wrought-iron ties and brick arches. Ground floor columns replaced by steel and concrete pillars. Engine House and rope race has had floor inserted but retains hooks in boarded ceiling and batching tanks. Superb curvilinear traceried gothic cast-iron roof spans with further traceried beams at W end to receive rope drives and lift.

Statement of Special Interest

List excludes all the structures N and E of the mill, and the circa 1960 steel-framed brick buildings. The original weaving factory has an unusual form of semi-fireproof construction. Shafting was under the floor. The mill has the finest cast-iron roof spans in the city. The 1919-21 extension is listed primarily because of the machines they contain. The calender is statutorily listed. It, with the larger calender at Camperdown Works, is the only such Dundee machine to retain its arms, levers and weights and is unique in remaining exactly in its original position

driven by pulleys and line shafts. Other cropping, cutting, sewing and finishing machines are of interest but not listed. Dormer looms modern. Originally called Lilybank Factory, founded circa 1840, renamed Taybank Works circa 1860 by Storrier Brough and Co. Bought 1917 by SCWS to supply their own needs. Now (1986) the only working jute weaving factory in Dundee.

References

Bibliography

Dundee Local History Library, Lamb Collection 196.15.

SCWS WHOLESALE CO-OPERATION IN SCOTLAND (1919) pp. 410-413 (with photographs).

About Listed Buildings

Historic Environment Scotland is responsible for designating sites and places at the national level. These designations are Scheduled monuments, Listed buildings, Inventory of gardens and designed landscapes and Inventory of historic battlefields.

We make recommendations to the Scottish Government about historic marine protected areas, and the Scottish Ministers decide whether to designate.

Listing is the process that identifies, designates and provides statutory protection for buildings of special architectural or historic interest as set out in the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) (Scotland) Act 1997.

We list buildings which are found to be of special architectural or historic interest using the selection guidance published in Designation Policy and Selection Guidance (2019)

Listed building records provide an indication of the special architectural or historic interest of the listed building which has been identified by its statutory address. The description and additional information provided are supplementary and have no legal weight.

These records are not definitive historical accounts or a complete description of the building(s). If part of a building is not described it does not mean it is not listed. The format of the listed building record has changed over time. Earlier records may be brief and some information will not have been recorded.

The legal part of the listing is the address/name of site which is known as the statutory address. Other than the name or address of a listed building, further details are provided for information purposes only. Historic Environment Scotland does not accept any liability for any loss or damage suffered as a consequence of inaccuracies in the information provided. Addresses and building names may have changed since the date of listing. Even if a number or name is missing from a listing address it will still be listed. Listing covers both the exterior and the interior and any object or structure fixed to the building. Listing also applies to buildings or structures not physically attached but which are part of the curtilage (or land) of the listed building as long as they were erected before 1 July 1948.

While Historic Environment Scotland is responsible for designating listed buildings, the planning authority is responsible for determining what is covered by the listing, including what is listed through curtilage. However, for listed buildings designated or for listings amended from 1 October 2015, legal exclusions to the listing may apply.

If part of a building is not listed, it will say that it is excluded in the statutory address and in the statement of special interest in the listed building record. The statement will use the word 'excluding' and quote the relevant section of the 1997 Act. Some earlier listed building records may use the word 'excluding', but if the Act is not quoted, the record has not been revised to reflect subsequent legislation.

Listed building consent is required for changes to a listed building which affect its character as a building of special architectural or historic interest. The relevant planning authority is the point of contact for applications for listed building consent.

Find out more about listing and our other designations at www.historicenvironment.scot/advice-and-support. You can contact us on 0131 668 8914 or at designations@hes.scot.

Images

There are no images available for this record, you may want to check Canmore for images relating to 62 ARBROATH ROAD, TAYBANK WORKS (OLD POWERLOOM FACTORY, CALENDER AND 3-STOREY MILL ONLY, TAY WEAVERS LTD)

There are no images available for this record.

Search Canmore

Printed: 30/05/2024 04:05