Listed Building

The only legal part of the listing under the Planning (Listing Buildings and Conservation Areas) (Scotland) Act 1997 is the address/name of site. Addresses and building names may have changed since the date of listing – see 'About Listed Buildings' below for more information. The further details below the 'Address/Name of Site' are provided for information purposes only.

Address/Name of Site

HIGH STREET, THE BELL LEISURE CENTRE (FORMER HIGH CHURCH)LB24889

Status: Designated

Documents

There are no additional online documents for this record.

Summary

Category
B
Date Added
08/09/1980
Local Authority
West Dunbartonshire
Planning Authority
West Dunbartonshire
Burgh
Dumbarton
NGR
NS 39381 75307
Coordinates
239381, 675307

Description

John Honeyman, architect. Built 1863-64. Early English Gothic

former church, rectangular-plan, with 3-stage square tower at

north east corner capped by tall, broached spire. Snecked and

stugged ashlar, with polished dressings. Plain lower stage of

tower has continuous horizontal string; upper stages offset

with clasping buttresses capped with pinnacles; single

hood-moulded lancet to outer faces of 2nd stage; each face of

top stage has large, louvered and hood-moulded belfry opening

with shafted jambs. Lucarnes at foot of spire. Gabled

elevation to High Street: cusped-headed door recessed under

pointed arched and gabled opening flanked by pointed windows.

Triple window above, lights with cusped heads hood-moulded;

small, 3-light window in gable head with taller central

light. Angle buttresses to left with gablet and pinnacle. Low

stair tower to left with shouldered door under pointed arch;

2-light window above. All openings have moulded arches, and

shafted jambs (some of black Carnock stone) with foliate

capitals. Body of church has 5 pointed windows to each side

elevation; modern alterations at west gable. Slated roofs,

swept over aisles. Interior gutted.

Statement of Special Interest

Foundation stone laid 13.7.1863. Built as Free Church. No

longer ecclesiastical use converted to form licensed leisure

complex 1981/82.

Church hall and 1902 link to church by Baird & Thomson

demolished 1981.

Cost of building about $5,000.

References

Bibliography

BUILDER, 17.7.1864, p. 534

BUILDING NEWS 17.6.1864, p.469

About Listed Buildings

Historic Environment Scotland is responsible for designating sites and places at the national level. These designations are Scheduled monuments, Listed buildings, Inventory of gardens and designed landscapes and Inventory of historic battlefields.

We make recommendations to the Scottish Government about historic marine protected areas, and the Scottish Ministers decide whether to designate.

Listing is the process that identifies, designates and provides statutory protection for buildings of special architectural or historic interest as set out in the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) (Scotland) Act 1997.

We list buildings which are found to be of special architectural or historic interest using the selection guidance published in Designation Policy and Selection Guidance (2019)

Listed building records provide an indication of the special architectural or historic interest of the listed building which has been identified by its statutory address. The description and additional information provided are supplementary and have no legal weight.

These records are not definitive historical accounts or a complete description of the building(s). If part of a building is not described it does not mean it is not listed. The format of the listed building record has changed over time. Earlier records may be brief and some information will not have been recorded.

The legal part of the listing is the address/name of site which is known as the statutory address. Other than the name or address of a listed building, further details are provided for information purposes only. Historic Environment Scotland does not accept any liability for any loss or damage suffered as a consequence of inaccuracies in the information provided. Addresses and building names may have changed since the date of listing. Even if a number or name is missing from a listing address it will still be listed. Listing covers both the exterior and the interior and any object or structure fixed to the building. Listing also applies to buildings or structures not physically attached but which are part of the curtilage (or land) of the listed building as long as they were erected before 1 July 1948.

While Historic Environment Scotland is responsible for designating listed buildings, the planning authority is responsible for determining what is covered by the listing, including what is listed through curtilage. However, for listed buildings designated or for listings amended from 1 October 2015, legal exclusions to the listing may apply.

If part of a building is not listed, it will say that it is excluded in the statutory address and in the statement of special interest in the listed building record. The statement will use the word 'excluding' and quote the relevant section of the 1997 Act. Some earlier listed building records may use the word 'excluding', but if the Act is not quoted, the record has not been revised to reflect subsequent legislation.

Listed building consent is required for changes to a listed building which affect its character as a building of special architectural or historic interest. The relevant planning authority is the point of contact for applications for listed building consent.

Find out more about listing and our other designations at www.historicenvironment.scot/advice-and-support. You can contact us on 0131 668 8914 or at designations@hes.scot.

Images

There are no images available for this record, you may want to check Canmore for images relating to HIGH STREET, THE BELL LEISURE CENTRE (FORMER HIGH CHURCH)

There are no images available for this record.

Search Canmore

Printed: 18/06/2024 09:50