Listed Building

The only legal part of the listing under the Planning (Listing Buildings and Conservation Areas) (Scotland) Act 1997 is the address/name of site. Addresses and building names may have changed since the date of listing – see 'About Listed Buildings' below for more information. The further details below the 'Address/Name of Site' are provided for information purposes only.

Address/Name of Site

12-30 (EVEN NOS) VICTORIA STREETLB24862

Status: Designated

Documents

There are no additional online documents for this record.

Summary

Category
B
Group Category Details
100000020 - See Notes
Date Added
11/01/1988
Local Authority
East Lothian
Planning Authority
East Lothian
Burgh
Dunbar
NGR
NT 67965 79194
Coordinates
367965, 679194

Description

Kininimonth and Spence, 1935. Group of 10, symmetrical, paired, terraced 2-storey council houses, stepping down towards harbour. Painted brick above deep rubble base course. Concrete cill course at ground. Semi-circular arch with paired multi-paned entrance doors in recess to centre of each pair of houses; black pantiles on end, framing arch. E wall abutted to rear of later houses.

S (PRINCIPAL) ELEVATION: tripartite windows, with fixed horizontally glazed central lights to flanking bays at ground floor, bipartites above set close to eaves; Nos 28-30 with 4-light and 3-lights respectively.

N (REAR) ELEVATIONS: low painted brick forestairs with concrete risers to doors to centre bays. Bipartites window to outer bay of each floor; single window at 1st floor to centre bays.

Casement windows with original 3 or 4-pane glazing pattern. Simple eaves course and sweeping eaves. Cement pantiles. Harled gable stacks with concrete coping and circular cans. Brick outhouses with corrugated iron roofs and garden walls with concrete coping at rear.

Statement of Special Interest

B Group consisting of Nos 1-6 Harbour Court, Nos 3-9 Victoria Place, 12-30, 15A-15D and 19A-19C Victoria Street, Nos 8-12 Writer's Court, Nos 1-4 Bungles Court and Nos 30-38 Lamer Street (see separate list entries).

12-30 Victoria Street is a good and largely-unaltered example of Kininmonth and Spence's municipal housing work and an important example of interwar housing in Scotland. The buildings are well detailed combining vernacular building materials with a modern style, such as the red sandstone basecourse, black pantiles framing entrance arch and modern picture windows. The design characteristics of the practice's commissions for private dwellings are successfully reinterpretated on a smaller scale, such as painted white exterior walls and steeply-pitched roofs. Built to a cost of £3,500 this terrace replaced a tenement, known as Cat's Row, demolished 1933. This terrace of interwar housing forms part of a wider group of well-designed local authority housing by Basil Spence's post-war practice.

Kininmonth and Spence both trained with Sir Edwin Lutyens in London. They established their architectural practice in 1931 following their return to Scotland. The core of the practice's early work was large surburban private dwellings such as Glenwood, Edinburgh (1931-32) and Gribloch near Kippen (1937). However the practice's finances were boosted by commissions for local authority housing, such as 12-30 Victoria Street. This scheme was part of a larger municipal housing development at Dunbar Harbour, which was curtailed by World War II.

In 1946 Spence left the Partnership, which had previously merged with Rowand Anderson & Paul in 1934. However both architects continued to design municipal housing developments. Spence designed a later housing scheme at Dunbar Harbour (1948-56) as well as work at Great Michael Rise, Newhaven, Edinburgh (1957-9) and Canongate, Edinburgh (1961-9) (see separate listings). Kininmouth's later housing development includes Lower Burnmouth (from 1948) (see separate listing) and Castlehill, Forres (completed 1958).

Basil Spence and William Hardie Kininmouth were two of was one of Scotland's foremost 20th century architects, both of whom were knighted for their services to architecture. Spence leapt to prominence during the Festival of Britain in 1951 as chief architect for the Exhibition of Industrial Power in Glasgow. Some of his most renowned works include Coventry Cathedral and the British Embassy in Rome, which promoted him internationally. Kininmonth's work was also wide-ranging, such as Pollock Halls of Residence (1952-59 and 1967-69) and the University of Edinburgh's Adam House (see separate listings).

List description updated following Sir Basil Spence Thematic Listing Survey (2009-11)

References

Bibliography

Dunbar Dean of Guild Minute Book, NAS, B18/19/1. Dunbar Burgh Council Minutes, NAS, B18/13/19. C McWilliam, The Buildings of Scotland: Lothian, (1978) p189. B Edwards, Basil Spence 1907-1976, (1995) pp 38-39. C Fenton. 'First Buildings 1932-9' in P Long & J Thomas (eds), Basil Spence Architect, (2007), p40.

About Listed Buildings

Historic Environment Scotland is responsible for designating sites and places at the national level. These designations are Scheduled monuments, Listed buildings, Inventory of gardens and designed landscapes and Inventory of historic battlefields.

We make recommendations to the Scottish Government about historic marine protected areas, and the Scottish Ministers decide whether to designate.

Listing is the process that identifies, designates and provides statutory protection for buildings of special architectural or historic interest as set out in the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) (Scotland) Act 1997.

We list buildings which are found to be of special architectural or historic interest using the selection guidance published in Designation Policy and Selection Guidance (2019)

Listed building records provide an indication of the special architectural or historic interest of the listed building which has been identified by its statutory address. The description and additional information provided are supplementary and have no legal weight.

These records are not definitive historical accounts or a complete description of the building(s). If part of a building is not described it does not mean it is not listed. The format of the listed building record has changed over time. Earlier records may be brief and some information will not have been recorded.

The legal part of the listing is the address/name of site which is known as the statutory address. Other than the name or address of a listed building, further details are provided for information purposes only. Historic Environment Scotland does not accept any liability for any loss or damage suffered as a consequence of inaccuracies in the information provided. Addresses and building names may have changed since the date of listing. Even if a number or name is missing from a listing address it will still be listed. Listing covers both the exterior and the interior and any object or structure fixed to the building. Listing also applies to buildings or structures not physically attached but which are part of the curtilage (or land) of the listed building as long as they were erected before 1 July 1948.

While Historic Environment Scotland is responsible for designating listed buildings, the planning authority is responsible for determining what is covered by the listing, including what is listed through curtilage. However, for listed buildings designated or for listings amended from 1 October 2015, legal exclusions to the listing may apply.

If part of a building is not listed, it will say that it is excluded in the statutory address and in the statement of special interest in the listed building record. The statement will use the word 'excluding' and quote the relevant section of the 1997 Act. Some earlier listed building records may use the word 'excluding', but if the Act is not quoted, the record has not been revised to reflect subsequent legislation.

Listed building consent is required for changes to a listed building which affect its character as a building of special architectural or historic interest. The relevant planning authority is the point of contact for applications for listed building consent.

Find out more about listing and our other designations at www.historicenvironment.scot/advice-and-support. You can contact us on 0131 668 8914 or at designations@hes.scot.

Images

There are no images available for this record, you may want to check Canmore for images relating to 12-30 (EVEN NOS) VICTORIA STREET

There are no images available for this record.

Search Canmore

Printed: 22/09/2021 04:05