Listed Building

The only legal part of the listing under the Planning (Listing Buildings and Conservation Areas) (Scotland) Act 1997 is the address/name of site. Addresses and building names may have changed since the date of listing – see 'About Listed Buildings' below for more information. The further details below the 'Address/Name of Site' are provided for information purposes only.

Address/Name of Site

West End and West End Cottage, CollessieLB2474

Status: Designated

Documents

There are no additional online documents for this record.

Summary

Category
B
Date Added
29/06/1978
Last Date Amended
21/05/2021
Local Authority
Fife
Planning Authority
Fife
Parish
Collessie
NGR
NO 28477 13167
Coordinates
328477, 713167

Description

Pair of 18th century, single storey, three-bay, rectangular-plan cottages. The south elevation of each cottage has a central entrance door flanked by single windows and the rear (north) elevation has a single window. Both cottages have chimney stacks on the gables and roof ridge and these have thackstanes.

West End (to the west) was restored between 2002 and 2008 by Arc Architects. Its exterior walls are lime harled with exposed stone margins and the cottage has a thatched roof in Tay water reed with two thatched eyebrow dormer windows. The netted ridge is clay and blueberry turf. The west gable end has a single window at the ground floor and an attic window. The windows are timber, those at the ground floor are 12-pane and the attic windows are four-pane.

West End Cottage (to the east) has non-traditional render and slated roofs. The windows and entrance door are non-traditional replacements.

The interior of West End was seen in 2017. Joinery, crown glass and ironmongery has been retained where possible during the refurbishment. There is a fireplace recess with stone margins in the kitchen and the fire surround in the living room has reclaimed and salvaged stone. Rough-sawn pine roof timbers are exposed between plaster infill. Reclaimed pitch pine was used for the new stairs, flooring and doors.

To the south of West End is a small former washhouse (listed separately at category C, see LB2475).

Statement of Special Interest

Collessie is a compact village in central Fife that grew because of the weaving industry. The village retains elements of its early pre-improvement settlement pattern with narrow and winding roads and a number of 18th century former weaver's cottages survive. West End and West End Cottage retain their 18th century vernacular form, including narrow, rectangular-plan footprint, small window openings and thick walls which are likely to have built from locally sourced stone. They are prominent buildings in Collessie, as the first cottages seen when the village is approached from the west on the A91 road.

West End is among a relatively small number of thatched buildings in Scotland. A Survey of Thatched Buildings in Scotland, published in 2016 by the Society for the Protection of Ancient Buildings (SPAB), found there were only around 200 buildings of this type remaining, most of which are found in small rural communities. Collessie has five buildings with thatched roofs and this number in one village is rare for Scotland.

The replacement of thatch with slates or tiles began gradually from the mid-17th century. Many hundreds of dwellings in Fife retain thatching stones (or thackstanes) at the base of their chimneys indicating that the roofs were formerly thatched, as can be seen at West End Cottage.

The traditional thatching material in Fife would have been oat straw. The planting of the Tay reed beds in the 18th century and the increased availability of reed as a result means that most thatched buildings in this region are now thatched in reed.

Statutory address and listed building record revised in 2021 as part of the Thatched Buildings Listing Review. Previously listed as 'Collessie Village West End (Mrs Scott and Mrs Watt).'

References

Bibliography

Canmore: http://canmore.org.uk/ CANMORE 30213.

Canmore: http://canmore.org.uk/ CANMORE 260904.

Maps

Thomson, J. and Johnson, W. (1821)

Ordnance Survey (surveyed 1854, published 1855) Fife, Sheet 10 (includes: Abdie; Collessie; Creich; Cupar; Dunbog; Monimail). 1st Edition, 6 Inch to 1 Mile. Ordnance Survey: Southampton

Ordnance Survey (revised 1913, published 1914) Fifeshire XII.8 (Collessie). 2nd Edition, 25 Inch to 1 Mile. Ordnance Survey: Southampton

Printed Sources

Gifford, J. (2007) The Buildings of Scotland, Fife. London: Yale University Press. p.421.

The Society for the Protection of Ancient Buildings Scotland (2016) A Survey of Thatched Buildings in Scotland. London: SPAB. p.151-152.

Online Sources

Historic Environment Scotland (2018) Scotland's Thatched Buildings: Introductory Designations Report at https://www.historicenvironment.scot/archives-and-research/publications/publication/?publicationId=8b3d1317-5a56-4416-905b-a8e800bf4c3c

About Listed Buildings

Historic Environment Scotland is responsible for designating sites and places at the national level. These designations are Scheduled monuments, Listed buildings, Inventory of gardens and designed landscapes and Inventory of historic battlefields.

We make recommendations to the Scottish Government about historic marine protected areas, and the Scottish Ministers decide whether to designate.

Listing is the process that identifies, designates and provides statutory protection for buildings of special architectural or historic interest as set out in the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) (Scotland) Act 1997.

We list buildings which are found to be of special architectural or historic interest using the selection guidance published in Designation Policy and Selection Guidance (2019)

Listed building records provide an indication of the special architectural or historic interest of the listed building which has been identified by its statutory address. The description and additional information provided are supplementary and have no legal weight.

These records are not definitive historical accounts or a complete description of the building(s). If part of a building is not described it does not mean it is not listed. The format of the listed building record has changed over time. Earlier records may be brief and some information will not have been recorded.

The legal part of the listing is the address/name of site which is known as the statutory address. Other than the name or address of a listed building, further details are provided for information purposes only. Historic Environment Scotland does not accept any liability for any loss or damage suffered as a consequence of inaccuracies in the information provided. Addresses and building names may have changed since the date of listing. Even if a number or name is missing from a listing address it will still be listed. Listing covers both the exterior and the interior and any object or structure fixed to the building. Listing also applies to buildings or structures not physically attached but which are part of the curtilage (or land) of the listed building as long as they were erected before 1 July 1948.

While Historic Environment Scotland is responsible for designating listed buildings, the planning authority is responsible for determining what is covered by the listing, including what is listed through curtilage. However, for listed buildings designated or for listings amended from 1 October 2015, legal exclusions to the listing may apply.

If part of a building is not listed, it will say that it is excluded in the statutory address and in the statement of special interest in the listed building record. The statement will use the word 'excluding' and quote the relevant section of the 1997 Act. Some earlier listed building records may use the word 'excluding', but if the Act is not quoted, the record has not been revised to reflect subsequent legislation.

Listed building consent is required for changes to a listed building which affect its character as a building of special architectural or historic interest. The relevant planning authority is the point of contact for applications for listed building consent.

Find out more about listing and our other designations at www.historicenvironment.scot/advice-and-support. You can contact us on 0131 668 8914 or at designations@hes.scot.

Images

West End, Collessie entrance elevation looking north, during daytime with flowers and a rubble wall infront of the cottage.
West End and West End Cottage, Collessie, looking east, during daytime with a bush and rubble wall infront of the gable of the cottage

Printed: 14/08/2022 04:35