Listed Building

The only legal part of the listing under the Planning (Listing Buildings and Conservation Areas) (Scotland) Act 1997 is the address/name of site. Addresses and building names may have changed since the date of listing – see 'About Listed Buildings' below for more information. The further details below the 'Address/Name of Site' are provided for information purposes only.

Address/Name of Site

2-8 (EVEN NOS) BUCCLEUCH STREET, MUNICIPAL BUILDINGSLB24334

Status: Designated

Documents

There are no additional online documents for this record.

Summary

Category
B
Date Added
30/06/1983
Local Authority
Midlothian
Planning Authority
Midlothian
Burgh
Dalkeith
NGR
NT 33063 67161
Coordinates
333063, 667161

Description

James Alison, 1882; extended by Charles Henry Greig, 1908. 2-storey Baronial corner building, 3-bay to Eskbank Road, 3-bay to Buccleuch Street and chamfered corner; 2-storey, 5-bay ensuite addition to E with common ridge line. Stugged squared and snecked rubble; ashlar dressings. Side elevations random rubble; rear elevations brick with ashlar lintels and cills. Base course. 1882 building: string course between floors, stepped over windows on N elevation. Roll-moulded surrounds to windows with chamfered cills. 1908 addition: moulded course between floors; chamfered margins.

NW (CORNER) ELEVATION: cavetto moulded shouldered doorway; rope moulded surround, stepped over Dalkeith Brugh's coat of arms; 2-leaf panelled door. Corbelled turret at 1st floor; bowed tripartite window; heavy machicolated course and eaves course; conical roof and weathervane.

W (ESKBANK ROAD) ELEVATION: regular fenestration at ground. Gabled corbelled advanced panel to centre bay at 1st floor, segmentally-arched over window at ground; tripartite window; circular clock in moulded surround in gablehead; gablet crowstepped and thistle finialled dormerhead. 2 elongated arrowslits in outer bays at 1st floor.

N (BUCCLEUCH STREET) ELEVATION: semicircular-arched window in bay to left at ground, with rope hoodmould and knot label stops. Bipartite window at ground and 1st floors at centre. Regular fenestration in remaining bays. Roll detail to dormerhead skews (finial missing) at centre; shield dated "1882" in gablehead. Moulded triangular dormerheads to outer bays, with crescent finials.

N (BUCCLEUCH STREET) ELEVATION, 1908 ADDITION: 5-bay, grouped 2-3, 3 bays to right of elevation: door out-of-line to left in bay to left, and out-of-line to right in bay to right; corniced roll-moulded surrounds, panels above bearing Scotts of Buccleuchs' coat-of-arms in swan neck pediments; 5 stair windows between left and right bays at ground, stepped up at centre; ogeed lintels; keystone linking centre window to string course. Drinking fountain embedded in wall below centre stair window; moulded string course at ground stepped over recessed drinking fountain. Dormerheaded tripartite windows at 1st floor to left and right; dormerheads coped-crowstepped, shield bearing 2 stars and motto "Mak' siccar" to left dormerhead, shield bearing 3 stars and a heart and motto "Forward" to right dormerhead. Bowed balcony with decorative wrought-iron balustrade supporting flagstaff to window at 1st floor at centre. 2 bays to left slightly recessed: 2-leaf door to left, chamfered margin, stop-chamfered at base, panel above inscribed "Municipal Buildings Erected 1908, R Handyside, Provost"; door flanked by small windows. Bipartite window at ground and 1st floors to right. Dormerheaded tripartite window at 1st floor to left; shield bearing 3 escallops to gablet-skewputted dormerhead.

E ELEVATION: gabled. Adjoined to modern tenement, Nos 12 and 14 Buccleuch Street, slightly recessed to left.

S ELEVATION: gabled.

E and S rear re-entrant elevations fenestrated.

Plate glass glazing pattern in sash and case windows; stained glass in 5 stair windows, with Burgh coat-of-arms on centre window. Crowstepped gables; crowstepped skews of original E gable at juncation with addition. Coped stacks, gablehead to E and S, ridge to addition and former gablehead stack at junction with addition. Grey slates. Moulded eaves gutter. Some original rainwater goods, piercing string course on addition.

Statement of Special Interest

Built at a cost of £592, the Municipal Buildings were the first commission of James Alison, a native of Dalkeith. The first meeting of the Burgh Commissioners in the new Municipal Buildings was held on 9 October 1882. Built at a cost of circa £2000, Charles Henry Greig's extension provided accommodation for the Town Council, School Board and Parish Council; an opening dinner was held on 24 April 1908. The decorative emblems on the building are taken from Dalkeith Burgh's coat-of-arms.

References

Bibliography

Burgh of Dalkeith Minute Books, 1878-86 (MBC/5/8), 1902-7 (MBC/5/11). THE DALKEITH ADVERTISER 12 October 1882, 23 February, 18 May 1905, 30 April 1908. C McWilliam LOTHIAN (1980) p164.

About Listed Buildings

Historic Environment Scotland is responsible for designating sites and places at the national level. These designations are Scheduled monuments, Listed buildings, Inventory of gardens and designed landscapes and Inventory of historic battlefields.

We make recommendations to the Scottish Government about historic marine protected areas, and the Scottish Ministers decide whether to designate.

Listing is the process that identifies, designates and provides statutory protection for buildings of special architectural or historic interest as set out in the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) (Scotland) Act 1997.

We list buildings which are found to be of special architectural or historic interest using the selection guidance published in Designation Policy and Selection Guidance (2019)

Listed building records provide an indication of the special architectural or historic interest of the listed building which has been identified by its statutory address. The description and additional information provided are supplementary and have no legal weight.

These records are not definitive historical accounts or a complete description of the building(s). If part of a building is not described it does not mean it is not listed. The format of the listed building record has changed over time. Earlier records may be brief and some information will not have been recorded.

The legal part of the listing is the address/name of site which is known as the statutory address. Other than the name or address of a listed building, further details are provided for information purposes only. Historic Environment Scotland does not accept any liability for any loss or damage suffered as a consequence of inaccuracies in the information provided. Addresses and building names may have changed since the date of listing. Even if a number or name is missing from a listing address it will still be listed. Listing covers both the exterior and the interior and any object or structure fixed to the building. Listing also applies to buildings or structures not physically attached but which are part of the curtilage (or land) of the listed building as long as they were erected before 1 July 1948.

While Historic Environment Scotland is responsible for designating listed buildings, the planning authority is responsible for determining what is covered by the listing, including what is listed through curtilage. However, for listed buildings designated or for listings amended from 1 October 2015, legal exclusions to the listing may apply.

If part of a building is not listed, it will say that it is excluded in the statutory address and in the statement of special interest in the listed building record. The statement will use the word 'excluding' and quote the relevant section of the 1997 Act. Some earlier listed building records may use the word 'excluding', but if the Act is not quoted, the record has not been revised to reflect subsequent legislation.

Listed building consent is required for changes to a listed building which affect its character as a building of special architectural or historic interest. The relevant planning authority is the point of contact for applications for listed building consent.

Find out more about listing and our other designations at www.historicenvironment.scot/advice-and-support. You can contact us on 0131 668 8914 or at designations@hes.scot.

Images

There are no images available for this record, you may want to check Canmore for images relating to 2-8 (EVEN NOS) BUCCLEUCH STREET, MUNICIPAL BUILDINGS

There are no images available for this record.

Search Canmore

Printed: 16/05/2022 13:14