Listed Building

The only legal part of the listing under the Planning (Listing Buildings and Conservation Areas) (Scotland) Act 1997 is the address/name of site. Addresses and building names may have changed since the date of listing – see 'About Listed Buildings' below for more information. The further details below the 'Address/Name of Site' are provided for information purposes only.

Address/Name of Site

CULROSS, CULROSS PARK BOUNDARY WALLS AT GALLOWS LOAN, KIRK STREET AND ERSKINE BRAE, INCLUDING EAST AND WEST ENTRANCE GATEPIERSLB24067

Status: Designated

Documents

There are no additional online documents for this record.

Summary

Category
B
Group Category Details
100000020 - see notes
Date Added
19/07/1973
Local Authority
Fife
Planning Authority
Fife
Burgh
Culross
NGR
NS 98771 86278
Coordinates
298771, 686278

Description

E entrance gate to Culross Park House situated to N of Park Lodge. Pair of chamfered square-plan piers; base course and coping stone. Tall wall curves N, reduces in height and extends northwards. Wall continues westwards along Gallows Loan; rubble wall; slightly projecting dressed stone blocks at wallhead; re-used corniced coping stone to W. Wall runs southwards to W entrance gate. Break in wall for access to footpath; corniced square-plan pier to S, corniced, conical coping stone; snecked quadrant wall with ashlar coping to chamfered and corniced square-plan gatepier. Pair of metal gates; matching gatepier to right; swept wall to outer pier with corniced conical coping stone. Rubble wall continues southwards down Erskine Brae curving eastwards to run N along Kirk Street. Doorway S of Erskine Brae. Wall continues northwards, bends west with moulded ashlar doorpiece leading to former gardens of Culross Park House. Wall continues northwards to join E entrance gate; pier in angle with conical coping stone by entrance gatepiers.

Statement of Special Interest

B-Group with Culross Park House and Culross Park Lodge and Cottage. The line of the walls are depicted on the 1860 map, however, the gatelodge and piers are not. The E and W entrance gates were probably built at the time of the addition of the E wing to Culross Park House (later 19th century).

References

Bibliography

1:2500 OS Perthshire Map, CXLII.8, 1860; 1:2500 OS Map, 1983.

About Listed Buildings

Historic Environment Scotland is responsible for designating sites and places at the national level. These designations are Scheduled monuments, Listed buildings, Inventory of gardens and designed landscapes and Inventory of historic battlefields.

We make recommendations to the Scottish Government about historic marine protected areas, and the Scottish Ministers decide whether to designate.

Listing is the process that identifies, designates and provides statutory protection for buildings of special architectural or historic interest as set out in the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) (Scotland) Act 1997.

We list buildings which are found to be of special architectural or historic interest using the selection guidance published in Designation Policy and Selection Guidance (2019)

Listed building records provide an indication of the special architectural or historic interest of the listed building which has been identified by its statutory address. The description and additional information provided are supplementary and have no legal weight.

These records are not definitive historical accounts or a complete description of the building(s). If part of a building is not described it does not mean it is not listed. The format of the listed building record has changed over time. Earlier records may be brief and some information will not have been recorded.

The legal part of the listing is the address/name of site which is known as the statutory address. Other than the name or address of a listed building, further details are provided for information purposes only. Historic Environment Scotland does not accept any liability for any loss or damage suffered as a consequence of inaccuracies in the information provided. Addresses and building names may have changed since the date of listing. Even if a number or name is missing from a listing address it will still be listed. Listing covers both the exterior and the interior and any object or structure fixed to the building. Listing also applies to buildings or structures not physically attached but which are part of the curtilage (or land) of the listed building as long as they were erected before 1 July 1948.

While Historic Environment Scotland is responsible for designating listed buildings, the planning authority is responsible for determining what is covered by the listing, including what is listed through curtilage. However, for listed buildings designated or for listings amended from 1 October 2015, legal exclusions to the listing may apply.

If part of a building is not listed, it will say that it is excluded in the statutory address and in the statement of special interest in the listed building record. The statement will use the word 'excluding' and quote the relevant section of the 1997 Act. Some earlier listed building records may use the word 'excluding', but if the Act is not quoted, the record has not been revised to reflect subsequent legislation.

Listed building consent is required for changes to a listed building which affect its character as a building of special architectural or historic interest. The relevant planning authority is the point of contact for applications for listed building consent.

Find out more about listing and our other designations at www.historicenvironment.scot/advice-and-support. You can contact us on 0131 668 8914 or at designations@hes.scot.

Images

There are no images available for this record, you may want to check Canmore for images relating to CULROSS, CULROSS PARK BOUNDARY WALLS AT GALLOWS LOAN, KIRK STREET AND ERSKINE BRAE, INCLUDING EAST AND WEST ENTRANCE GATEPIERS

There are no images available for this record.

Search Canmore

Printed: 30/05/2024 06:30