Listed Building

The only legal part of the listing under the Planning (Listing Buildings and Conservation Areas) (Scotland) Act 1997 is the address/name of site. Addresses and building names may have changed since the date of listing – see 'About Listed Buildings' below for more information. The further details below the 'Address/Name of Site' are provided for information purposes only.

Address/Name of Site

CULROSS, KIRK STREET, COACHMAN'S COTTAGELB24050

Status: Designated

Documents

There are no additional online documents for this record.

Summary

Category
B
Date Added
19/07/1973
Local Authority
Fife
Planning Authority
Fife
Burgh
Culross
NGR
NS 98748 86028
Coordinates
298748, 686028

Description

From later 17th century. 2-storey, 3-bay house; 2-bay wing to N; rectangular-plan. Harled; stone surrounds; early 19th century pilastered doorpiece.

W (PRINCIPAL) ELEVATION: 2-storey section to right; central window (former door); corniced, pilastered ashlar doorpiece; foliate medallions. Metal boot scrape to left of former door. Ground floor window to left and right. Small window/former chute to far left. Single 1st floor windows to left and right of door, hugging eaves. Lower section to far left; window (former door) to right; chamfered surrounds; small window to left. Swept, harled wall extends westwards, stone coping; replacement decorative metal pedestrian gate.

N ELEVATION: not seen, 2001.

E ELEVATION: central door; flanking windows; 3 1st floor windows. Modern porch to centre. 2-bay wing to N; door to left; 2 windows to right; modern dormer window wholly in roof.

S ELEVATION: attached to Snuff Cottage; raggles of former building visible.

Predominantly 12-pane timber sash and case windows. Pitched roofs; clay pantiles. Gable end stacks to house and W wing.

INTERIOR: not seen, 2001.

Statement of Special Interest

Thought to date from 1670 (Pride), Coachman's Cottage was privately restored in the 1950's. For brief history of Culross Burgh see Culross, The Cross, The Study.

References

Bibliography

1:2500 OS Map, Perthshire, CXLII.8, 1860; D Beveridge, CULROSS & TULLIALLAN, Vol I, 1885, p117; A Smith, THE THIRD STATISTICAL ACCOUNT OF SCOTLAND, THE COUNTY OF FIFE, 1952, pp402-413; B Walker, G Ritchie, FIFE AND TAYSIDE, 1987, pp59-60;J Gifford, THE BUILDINGS OF SCOTLAND, FIFE, 1988, pp49, 154; R Lamont-Brown, DISCOVERING FIFE, 1988, pp50-52; C Mair, MERCAT CROSS AND TOLBOOTHS, 1988, p31; G Pride, THE KINGDOM OF FIFE, AN ILLUSTRATED ARCHITECTURAL GUIDE, 1990, p29; The National Trust for Scotland, CULROSS, 1999, p21.

About Listed Buildings

Historic Environment Scotland is responsible for designating sites and places at the national level. These designations are Scheduled monuments, Listed buildings, Inventory of gardens and designed landscapes and Inventory of historic battlefields.

We make recommendations to the Scottish Government about historic marine protected areas, and the Scottish Ministers decide whether to designate.

Listing is the process that identifies, designates and provides statutory protection for buildings of special architectural or historic interest as set out in the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) (Scotland) Act 1997.

We list buildings which are found to be of special architectural or historic interest using the selection guidance published in Designation Policy and Selection Guidance (2019)

Listed building records provide an indication of the special architectural or historic interest of the listed building which has been identified by its statutory address. The description and additional information provided are supplementary and have no legal weight.

These records are not definitive historical accounts or a complete description of the building(s). If part of a building is not described it does not mean it is not listed. The format of the listed building record has changed over time. Earlier records may be brief and some information will not have been recorded.

The legal part of the listing is the address/name of site which is known as the statutory address. Other than the name or address of a listed building, further details are provided for information purposes only. Historic Environment Scotland does not accept any liability for any loss or damage suffered as a consequence of inaccuracies in the information provided. Addresses and building names may have changed since the date of listing. Even if a number or name is missing from a listing address it will still be listed. Listing covers both the exterior and the interior and any object or structure fixed to the building. Listing also applies to buildings or structures not physically attached but which are part of the curtilage (or land) of the listed building as long as they were erected before 1 July 1948.

While Historic Environment Scotland is responsible for designating listed buildings, the planning authority is responsible for determining what is covered by the listing, including what is listed through curtilage. However, for listed buildings designated or for listings amended from 1 October 2015, legal exclusions to the listing may apply.

If part of a building is not listed, it will say that it is excluded in the statutory address and in the statement of special interest in the listed building record. The statement will use the word 'excluding' and quote the relevant section of the 1997 Act. Some earlier listed building records may use the word 'excluding', but if the Act is not quoted, the record has not been revised to reflect subsequent legislation.

Listed building consent is required for changes to a listed building which affect its character as a building of special architectural or historic interest. The relevant planning authority is the point of contact for applications for listed building consent.

Find out more about listing and our other designations at www.historicenvironment.scot/advice-and-support. You can contact us on 0131 668 8914 or at designations@hes.scot.

Images

There are no images available for this record, you may want to check Canmore for images relating to CULROSS, KIRK STREET, COACHMAN'S COTTAGE

There are no images available for this record.

Search Canmore

Printed: 30/05/2024 05:36