Listed Building

The only legal part of the listing under the Planning (Listing Buildings and Conservation Areas) (Scotland) Act 1997 is the address/name of site. Addresses and building names may have changed since the date of listing – see 'About Listed Buildings' below for more information. The further details below the 'Address/Name of Site' are provided for information purposes only.

Address/Name of Site

CULROSS, LOW CAUSEWAY, ST MUNGO'S COTTAGE INCLUDING WALL AND OUTBUILDINGLB24028

Status: Designated

Documents

There are no additional online documents for this record.

Summary

Category
B
Date Added
19/07/1973
Local Authority
Fife
Planning Authority
Fife
Burgh
Culross
NGR
NS 99160 86075
Coordinates
299160, 686075

Description

Early 18th century. 2-storey, 3-bay house. Later 18th century 2-storey, 2-bay section added to E. Late 20th century rear wing and lean-to. Ashlar margins; eaves course. Harled. Painted quoins to SE and NE, 1st floor.

S (PRINCIPAL) ELEVATION: earlier 3-bay section to left; 3 ground floor windows (former door to central window); 3 1st floor windows centred above. 2-bay section to right; door to left; fanlight; corniced lintel; window to right. 2 1st floor windows centred above, at eaves. Wall at ground floor extends from right; door within. Connects to tall rubble sandstone garden wall.

W ELEVATION: ground floor window to left. Rear wing set back to left; 3 1st floor windows; 2 piended dormer windows wholly in roof. Lean-to at ground floor; 2 arches within.

N ELEVATION: piended dormer window wholly in roof to far right; lean-to at ground floor; 2 windows within. 1st floor window to left to rear wing. 2 1st floor windows to left in left return of rear wing. Section set back to left; 1st floor window to right; lean-to at ground floor; rooflights and varied fenestration.

E ELEVATION: plain gable wall at 1st floor; lean-to greenhouse at ground floor. Lean-to to right; door to left; window to right.

Predominantly 12-pane timber sash and case windows with horns. 2 roof lights to front. Pitched slate roofs. Coped gable apex stacks; coped ridge stack; polygonal clay cans.

INTERIOR: lower ceiling height to ground floor rooms in earlier house (to W). Arched alcove to ground and 1st floor E room.

WALL AND OUTBUILDING

Tall rubble sandstone wall to E of house connects to St Mungo's Chapel. Outhouse attached to N of wall; 2 doors.

Statement of Special Interest

According to the present owners, the 3-bay western part of the house belonged to the blacksmith Robert Sands who had a forge here. The forge was possibly to the W of the house where changes in the W gable wall suggest a former attached building. In the 1780's the eastern section of the house was added and the upper storey of the W was heightened. A maid's staircase was also added. A 1st floor central window to the rear was uncovered during renovation in late 20th century (now re-covered by rear wing). Margaret Anderson or Sands, widow of Robert Sands continued her husband's business after his death and is mentioned in the Kirk Session records because she broke the rules of the guild. Culross had been granted the monopoly on making girdles, but in 1673 Margaret was fined for sending girdles to Glasgow without the guild's permission, and she also employed a man from Valleyfield (and therefore not from the Culross guild) to work in her forge. Despite Culross' monopoly, it was unable to fight the competition from others, including those at Valleyfield and especially Carron ironworks. This house is named after St Mungo/Kentigern, who according to legend, was born in Culross and was educated by St Serf. The nearby St Mungo's Chapel was built in 1503 by Robert Blackadder, the first Archbishop of Glasgow to commemorate St Mungo.

References

Bibliography

1:2500 OS Perthshire Map, CXLII.4, 1860; D Beveridge, CULROSS & TULLIALLAN, Vol II, 1885, pp164-165, 173-176, 187-180; R Lamont-Brown, DISCOVERING FIFE, 1988, p50; P Monaghan, THE STORY OF THE CULROSS WEST KIRK, 1999, p39; additional information courtesy of the owner, 2001.

About Listed Buildings

Historic Environment Scotland is responsible for designating sites and places at the national level. These designations are Scheduled monuments, Listed buildings, Inventory of gardens and designed landscapes and Inventory of historic battlefields.

We make recommendations to the Scottish Government about historic marine protected areas, and the Scottish Ministers decide whether to designate.

Listing is the process that identifies, designates and provides statutory protection for buildings of special architectural or historic interest as set out in the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) (Scotland) Act 1997.

We list buildings which are found to be of special architectural or historic interest using the selection guidance published in Designation Policy and Selection Guidance (2019)

Listed building records provide an indication of the special architectural or historic interest of the listed building which has been identified by its statutory address. The description and additional information provided are supplementary and have no legal weight.

These records are not definitive historical accounts or a complete description of the building(s). If part of a building is not described it does not mean it is not listed. The format of the listed building record has changed over time. Earlier records may be brief and some information will not have been recorded.

The legal part of the listing is the address/name of site which is known as the statutory address. Other than the name or address of a listed building, further details are provided for information purposes only. Historic Environment Scotland does not accept any liability for any loss or damage suffered as a consequence of inaccuracies in the information provided. Addresses and building names may have changed since the date of listing. Even if a number or name is missing from a listing address it will still be listed. Listing covers both the exterior and the interior and any object or structure fixed to the building. Listing also applies to buildings or structures not physically attached but which are part of the curtilage (or land) of the listed building as long as they were erected before 1 July 1948.

While Historic Environment Scotland is responsible for designating listed buildings, the planning authority is responsible for determining what is covered by the listing, including what is listed through curtilage. However, for listed buildings designated or for listings amended from 1 October 2015, legal exclusions to the listing may apply.

If part of a building is not listed, it will say that it is excluded in the statutory address and in the statement of special interest in the listed building record. The statement will use the word 'excluding' and quote the relevant section of the 1997 Act. Some earlier listed building records may use the word 'excluding', but if the Act is not quoted, the record has not been revised to reflect subsequent legislation.

Listed building consent is required for changes to a listed building which affect its character as a building of special architectural or historic interest. The relevant planning authority is the point of contact for applications for listed building consent.

Find out more about listing and our other designations at www.historicenvironment.scot/advice-and-support. You can contact us on 0131 668 8914 or at designations@hes.scot.

Images

There are no images available for this record, you may want to check Canmore for images relating to CULROSS, LOW CAUSEWAY, ST MUNGO'S COTTAGE INCLUDING WALL AND OUTBUILDING

There are no images available for this record.

Search Canmore

Printed: 20/05/2024 07:58