Listed Building

The only legal part of the listing under the Planning (Listing Buildings and Conservation Areas) (Scotland) Act 1997 is the address/name of site. Addresses and building names may have changed since the date of listing – see 'About Listed Buildings' below for more information. The further details below the 'Address/Name of Site' are provided for information purposes only.

Address/Name of Site


Status: Designated


There are no additional online documents for this record.


Date Added
Local Authority
Planning Authority
NS 98839 85970
298839, 685970


1820. 2-storey, 3-bay villa with incised Greek details. Classical, ashlar principal elevation. Base, cill and band course. Giant Order angle pilasters. Corniced principal elevation; plain frieze, raised at ends and centre. Tooled sandstone to other elevations; rendered 1st floor rear elevation; ashlar margins and eaves course; droved quoins.

S (PRINCIPAL) ELEVATION: symmetrical elevation. Central door; fanlight with circular panes. Consoled, corniced, moulded doorpiece. Flanking ground floor windows. 3 1st floor windows centred above. Incised Greek detailing to top of pilasters.

W ELEVATION: partially seen; modern lean-to conservatory to left. 2 1st floor windows to left.

N ELEVATION: tall coped wall extends from left of house; 2 doors. Rear extension; 3 ground floor windows. Modern 2nd storey addition; 3 windows to N; 1 window in each return. Modern lean-to porch to left of rear addition; door and window to E. Tall coped wall extends from right of house; lean-to to left; 2 doors; door in wall set back to right; another lean-to to right.

E ELEVATION: ground floor window to left; 1st floor window to left; stained glass. 1st floor window to right. Modern, flat-roofed garage obscures rest of elevation.

Predominantly 12-pane timber sash and case windows. Timber panelled door. Piended slate roof, platform on top; piended slate roof to later rear addition. Slated lean-to roofs. Corniced stacks to centre E and W; circular cans. Coped stack to NE.

INTERIOR: partially seen; Minton tiles to vestibule; anthemion frieze with guilloche cornice above to vestibule.

Statement of Special Interest

Purchased by the Free Church (now Cunninghame House) in 1873 for use as a manse and later known as Sanctuary. According to Cunningham, the title deeds state that 'the privilege of sanctuary belongs to this house' as it stood in the abbey ground. This house is named after St Kentigern/Mungo, who according to legend, was born in Culross and was educated by St Serf. Unusual inscribed Greek detail after the manner of Thomas Hamilton. The building is now a private house (2001).



1:2500 OS Perthshire Map, CXLII.8, 1860; D Beveridge, CULROSS & TULLIALLAN, Vol II, 1885, p333; A Cunningham, ROMANTIC CULROSS, TORRYBURN, CARNOCK, CAIRNEYHILL, SALINE AND PITFIRRANE, 1902, pp44-45; A Smith, THE THIRD STATISTICAL ACCOUNT OF SCOTLAND, THE COUNTY OF FIFE, 1952, pp408-409; J Gifford, THE BUILDINGS OF SCOTLAND, FIFE, 1988, p152; ; R Lamont-Brown, DISCOVERING FIFE, 1988, p50; G Pride, THE KINGDOM OF FIFE, AN ILLUSTRATED ARCHITECTURAL GUIDE, 1990, p29; additional information courtesy of the owner.

About Listed Buildings

Historic Environment Scotland is responsible for designating sites and places at the national level. These designations are Scheduled monuments, Listed buildings, Inventory of gardens and designed landscapes and Inventory of historic battlefields.

We make recommendations to the Scottish Government about historic marine protected areas, and the Scottish Ministers decide whether to designate.

Listing is the process that identifies, designates and provides statutory protection for buildings of special architectural or historic interest as set out in the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) (Scotland) Act 1997.

We list buildings which are found to be of special architectural or historic interest using the selection guidance published in Designation Policy and Selection Guidance (2019)

Listed building records provide an indication of the special architectural or historic interest of the listed building which has been identified by its statutory address. The description and additional information provided are supplementary and have no legal weight.

These records are not definitive historical accounts or a complete description of the building(s). If part of a building is not described it does not mean it is not listed. The format of the listed building record has changed over time. Earlier records may be brief and some information will not have been recorded.

The legal part of the listing is the address/name of site which is known as the statutory address. Other than the name or address of a listed building, further details are provided for information purposes only. Historic Environment Scotland does not accept any liability for any loss or damage suffered as a consequence of inaccuracies in the information provided. Addresses and building names may have changed since the date of listing. Even if a number or name is missing from a listing address it will still be listed. Listing covers both the exterior and the interior and any object or structure fixed to the building. Listing also applies to buildings or structures not physically attached but which are part of the curtilage (or land) of the listed building as long as they were erected before 1 July 1948.

While Historic Environment Scotland is responsible for designating listed buildings, the planning authority is responsible for determining what is covered by the listing, including what is listed through curtilage. However, for listed buildings designated or for listings amended from 1 October 2015, legal exclusions to the listing may apply.

If part of a building is not listed, it will say that it is excluded in the statutory address and in the statement of special interest in the listed building record. The statement will use the word 'excluding' and quote the relevant section of the 1997 Act. Some earlier listed building records may use the word 'excluding', but if the Act is not quoted, the record has not been revised to reflect subsequent legislation.

Listed building consent is required for changes to a listed building which affect its character as a building of special architectural or historic interest. The relevant planning authority is the point of contact for applications for listed building consent.

Find out more about listing and our other designations at You can contact us on 0131 668 8914 or at


There are no images available for this record, you may want to check Canmore for images relating to CULROSS, LOW CAUSEWAY, ST KENTIGERN'S

There are no images available for this record.

Search Canmore

Printed: 30/05/2024 07:41