Listed Building

The only legal part of the listing under the Planning (Listing Buildings and Conservation Areas) (Scotland) Act 1997 is the address/name of site. Addresses and building names may have changed since the date of listing – see 'About Listed Buildings' below for more information. The further details below the 'Address/Name of Site' are provided for information purposes only.

Address/Name of Site

CULROSS, LOW CAUSEWAY, WILLIAMTON HOUSELB24021

Status: Designated

Documents

There are no additional online documents for this record.

Summary

Category
B
Date Added
12/01/1972
Local Authority
Fife
Planning Authority
Fife
Burgh
Culross
NGR
NS 98811 85934
Coordinates
298811, 685934

Description

18th century, (probably late 18th century). 3-storey, 3-bay house; wings to W and N; modern (later 20th century) 2-storey extension to rear. Painted ashlar margins; and vertical arrises; white coloured harling.

S (PRINCIPAL) ELEVATION: off-centre door; raggles of former pitched porch recently removed; 2 flanking windows. 3 evenly spaced 1st floor windows; 3 2nd floor windows at eaves centred above 1st floor windows. Single storey wing to left; window to right (former door), chamfered surrounds; window to left.

W ELEVATION: single storey wing to W; inserted door to left; small round-headed central attic window. Rear range; modern frontage to right. Small, 2-storey bothy to left; door to right; window to left; 1st floor window to left. Single storey section to left ; door to left; window to right. Later (later 20th century) L-plan range attached to left; replacement openings.

N ELEVATION: single storey wing to W; blocked door to left; central window. Modern 2-storey extension to rear of house; window to right; door to left; 2 1st floor windows.

E ELEVATION: 1st floor window to left; 2nd floor window to right. Exposed rubble to rear range to right; 3 small ground floor windows to 1st section. Section to far right; partially seen; small window.

Predominantly 12-pane timber sash and case windows. Decorative front door; glazed panel; moulded surround; central rose with moulded surround below; pattern repeated inside. Pitched slate roof to main house; raised, smooth skews; coped gable apex stacks; circular cans. Later wallhead stack to NE of house; polygonal can. Pitched slate roof to W wing; coped gable apex stack to W. Lean-to roof to modern rear extension. Pitched roofs to rear wings; clay pantiles; coped stack to N gable of bothy.

INTERIOR: interior of bothy seen only; timber beams; 2 fireplaces in N gable wall sharing 1 lintel.

Low rubble wall encloses front garden; central gate.

Statement of Special Interest

One of only a few 3-storey houses in Culross. According to the current owner (2001), prior to conversion, the bothy had an earthen floor approximately 2 foot lower than the current floor level; the teak door to bothy was salvaged from the Mauretania by the owner, and the house originally had its own pier, directly south of the house. For brief history of Culross Burgh see Culross, The Cross, The Study.

References

Bibliography

1:2500 OS Perthshire Map, CXLII.4, 1860; D Beveridge, CULROSS & TULLIALLAN, Vol I, 1885, p117; A Smith, THE THIRD STATISTICAL ACCOUNT OF SCOTLAND, THE COUNTY OF FIFE, 1952, pp402-413; B Walker, G Ritchie, FIFE AND TAYSIDE, 1987, pp59-60; J Gifford, FIFE, THE BUILDINGS OF SCOTLAND SERIES, 1988, p49; R Lamont-Brown, DISCOVERING FIFE, 1988, pp50-52; C Mair, MERCAT CROSS AND TOLBOOTHS, 1988, p31; additional information courtesy of the owner.

About Listed Buildings

Historic Environment Scotland is responsible for designating sites and places at the national level. These designations are Scheduled monuments, Listed buildings, Inventory of gardens and designed landscapes and Inventory of historic battlefields.

We make recommendations to the Scottish Government about historic marine protected areas, and the Scottish Ministers decide whether to designate.

Listing is the process that identifies, designates and provides statutory protection for buildings of special architectural or historic interest as set out in the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) (Scotland) Act 1997.

We list buildings which are found to be of special architectural or historic interest using the selection guidance published in Designation Policy and Selection Guidance (2019)

Listed building records provide an indication of the special architectural or historic interest of the listed building which has been identified by its statutory address. The description and additional information provided are supplementary and have no legal weight.

These records are not definitive historical accounts or a complete description of the building(s). If part of a building is not described it does not mean it is not listed. The format of the listed building record has changed over time. Earlier records may be brief and some information will not have been recorded.

The legal part of the listing is the address/name of site which is known as the statutory address. Other than the name or address of a listed building, further details are provided for information purposes only. Historic Environment Scotland does not accept any liability for any loss or damage suffered as a consequence of inaccuracies in the information provided. Addresses and building names may have changed since the date of listing. Even if a number or name is missing from a listing address it will still be listed. Listing covers both the exterior and the interior and any object or structure fixed to the building. Listing also applies to buildings or structures not physically attached but which are part of the curtilage (or land) of the listed building as long as they were erected before 1 July 1948.

While Historic Environment Scotland is responsible for designating listed buildings, the planning authority is responsible for determining what is covered by the listing, including what is listed through curtilage. However, for listed buildings designated or for listings amended from 1 October 2015, legal exclusions to the listing may apply.

If part of a building is not listed, it will say that it is excluded in the statutory address and in the statement of special interest in the listed building record. The statement will use the word 'excluding' and quote the relevant section of the 1997 Act. Some earlier listed building records may use the word 'excluding', but if the Act is not quoted, the record has not been revised to reflect subsequent legislation.

Listed building consent is required for changes to a listed building which affect its character as a building of special architectural or historic interest. The relevant planning authority is the point of contact for applications for listed building consent.

Find out more about listing and our other designations at www.historicenvironment.scot/advice-and-support. You can contact us on 0131 668 8914 or at designations@hes.scot.

Images

There are no images available for this record, you may want to check Canmore for images relating to CULROSS, LOW CAUSEWAY, WILLIAMTON HOUSE

There are no images available for this record.

Search Canmore

Printed: 30/05/2024 07:34