Listed Building

The only legal part of the listing under the Planning (Listing Buildings and Conservation Areas) (Scotland) Act 1997 is the address/name of site. Addresses and building names may have changed since the date of listing – see 'About Listed Buildings' below for more information. The further details below the 'Address/Name of Site' are provided for information purposes only.

Address/Name of Site

CULROSS, BACK STREET, LITTLE SANDHAVEN INCLUDING WELLLB24014

Status: Designated

Documents

There are no additional online documents for this record.

Summary

Category
B
Date Added
12/01/1972
Local Authority
Fife
Planning Authority
Fife
Burgh
Culross
NGR
NS 98730 85929
Coordinates
298730, 685929

Description

18th century. 2-storey, 3-bay, L-plan house. Later rear wing; late 20th century wing to E. Ashlar surrounds to openings; harled.

S (PRINCIPAL) ELEVATION: central ground and 1st floor door. Replacement forestair from left. Flanking ground and 1st floor windows. Wing to right; 2 ground floor windows; garage doors to far right.

W ELEVATION: attached to Stephen Memorial Hall.

N ELEVATION: central modern porch with door to right; window to left; window in left return. Ground floor window to left; 2 1st floor windows. Wing advanced to right; 1st floor window to right. Ground and 1st floor window to right in left return. Wing slightly advanced to far left; 2 ground floor windows to right; large doors to left; 2 1st floor dormer windows in raised roof.

E ELEVATION: plain gable wall.

Predominantly 12-pane timber sash and case windows. Replacement 2-leaf timber boarded doors. Pitched roofs; clay pantiles; slate easing course. Crowstepped gables to house. Gable apex stacks to house; coped apex stack to rear wing gable. E wing, rear roof raised centrally; tile hung cheeks and N elevation; rooflight.

INTERIOR: stone chimney breast advanced in W rooms; modernised interior.

WELL

Low circular rubble wall encloses well to rear of house.

Statement of Special Interest

Formerly listed as House (Mrs Cameron) Back Street. The E wing was added circa 1985 replacing an earlier single storey, 5-bay cottage. The raggles of another former 2-storey building remain on the E gable wall of the house above the present roofline of the E extension. A 1954 photograph from the NMRS shows a rear forestair (where the porch is now) leading to a 1st floor door to the right (now a window). Little Sandhaven has a number of features (albeit replacements) which are common to the more modest, domestic buildings of Culross, namely the crowstepped gables, forestair and 2-leaf doors For brief history of Culross Burgh, see Culross, The Cross, The Study.

References

Bibliography

1:2500 OS Perthshire Map, CXLII.4, 1860; D Beveridge, CULROSS & TULLIALLAN, Vol I, 1885, p117; A Smith, THE THIRD STATISTICAL ACCOUNT OF SCOTLAND, THE COUNTY OF FIFE, 1952, pp402-413; B Walker, G Ritchie, FIFE AND TAYSIDE, 1987, pp59-60; J Gifford, FIFE, THE BUILDINGS OF SCOTLAND SERIES, 1988, p49; R Lamont-Brown, DISCOVERING FIFE, 1988, pp50-52; C Mair, MERCAT CROSS AND TOLBOOTHS, 1988, p31; National Monuments Record of Scotland (NMRS); additional information courtesy of the owner.

About Listed Buildings

Historic Environment Scotland is responsible for designating sites and places at the national level. These designations are Scheduled monuments, Listed buildings, Inventory of gardens and designed landscapes and Inventory of historic battlefields.

We make recommendations to the Scottish Government about historic marine protected areas, and the Scottish Ministers decide whether to designate.

Listing is the process that identifies, designates and provides statutory protection for buildings of special architectural or historic interest as set out in the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) (Scotland) Act 1997.

We list buildings which are found to be of special architectural or historic interest using the selection guidance published in Designation Policy and Selection Guidance (2019)

Listed building records provide an indication of the special architectural or historic interest of the listed building which has been identified by its statutory address. The description and additional information provided are supplementary and have no legal weight.

These records are not definitive historical accounts or a complete description of the building(s). If part of a building is not described it does not mean it is not listed. The format of the listed building record has changed over time. Earlier records may be brief and some information will not have been recorded.

The legal part of the listing is the address/name of site which is known as the statutory address. Other than the name or address of a listed building, further details are provided for information purposes only. Historic Environment Scotland does not accept any liability for any loss or damage suffered as a consequence of inaccuracies in the information provided. Addresses and building names may have changed since the date of listing. Even if a number or name is missing from a listing address it will still be listed. Listing covers both the exterior and the interior and any object or structure fixed to the building. Listing also applies to buildings or structures not physically attached but which are part of the curtilage (or land) of the listed building as long as they were erected before 1 July 1948.

While Historic Environment Scotland is responsible for designating listed buildings, the planning authority is responsible for determining what is covered by the listing, including what is listed through curtilage. However, for listed buildings designated or for listings amended from 1 October 2015, legal exclusions to the listing may apply.

If part of a building is not listed, it will say that it is excluded in the statutory address and in the statement of special interest in the listed building record. The statement will use the word 'excluding' and quote the relevant section of the 1997 Act. Some earlier listed building records may use the word 'excluding', but if the Act is not quoted, the record has not been revised to reflect subsequent legislation.

Listed building consent is required for changes to a listed building which affect its character as a building of special architectural or historic interest. The relevant planning authority is the point of contact for applications for listed building consent.

Find out more about listing and our other designations at www.historicenvironment.scot/advice-and-support. You can contact us on 0131 668 8914 or at designations@hes.scot.

Images

There are no images available for this record, you may want to check Canmore for images relating to CULROSS, BACK STREET, LITTLE SANDHAVEN INCLUDING WELL

There are no images available for this record.

Search Canmore

Printed: 18/05/2024 22:53