Listed Building

The only legal part of the listing under the Planning (Listing Buildings and Conservation Areas) (Scotland) Act 1997 is the address/name of site. Addresses and building names may have changed since the date of listing – see 'About Listed Buildings' below for more information. The further details below the 'Address/Name of Site' are provided for information purposes only.

Address/Name of Site

CULROSS, LITTLE CAUSEWAY, THE NUNNERY INCLUDING REAR YARD WALLS AND FIREPLACELB24012

Status: Designated

Documents

There are no additional online documents for this record.

Summary

Category
B
Date Added
12/01/1972
Local Authority
Fife
Planning Authority
Fife
Burgh
Culross
NGR
NS 98699 85930
Coordinates
298699, 685930

Description

17th century. 2-storey, 2-bay house (now 2 flats); later 2-storey wing downhill to S. Harled; chamfered stone surrounds to all windows and doors in uphill section; forestair.

E (PRINCIPAL) ELEVATION: ground floor door (entrance door to ground floor flat) below forestair; chamfered stone surround to left. 1st floor door above to right. Forestair from right; moulded stone steps; replacement timber railing and upper step. Advanced single bay section to left; ground floor window; 1st floor window centred above; National Trust for Scotland (NTS) plaque to right. Single ground and 1st floor window in right return; indecipherable inscription on stone corbel above right of 1st floor window. Advanced, lower, later section to far left; ground floor window to right; 1st floor catslide dormer window centred above.

S ELEVATION: 2 ground and 2 1st floor windows. Plain S gable of N section; later S section attached to right.

W ELEVATION: plain elevation to later S section. W elevation of uphill, N section partially visible, 2 1st floor windows.

N ELEVATION: attached to The Ark B.

Varied glazing, 12-pane timber sash and case windows and windows with 3-panes to upper sash, 6 to lower. Replacement, studded timber boarded doors; replacement tirling pins. Pitched roofs; crowstepped gables to uphill house; S gable end stack, circular clay cans. Roof extended to form porch over forestair and adjacent advanced section to left with skew crowstepped halfway. Moulded skewputt to right carved with veiled woman's head (hidden by guttering at present, 2001). Clay pantiles to all.

INTERIOR: modern interior; coved ceiling to upper flat. Ashlar stone doorway to original ground floor entrance door (in original elevation), set back from present entrance door.

REAR YARD WALLS AND FIREPLACE

Timber door to far left leads into yard behind S section. Rubble stone walls to W and S; low rubble wall to N. Central drain in yard, flagstone floor. Blocked door in S wall. Ashlar fireplace surround, curved stone mantel shelf in W wall.

Statement of Special Interest

Moulded steps are a typical feature at a number of Culross buildings, also to be seen at 7 The Cross and 7 Mid Causeway. The Nunnery takes its name from the skewputt carved with a veiled head of a woman. The remains of the fireplace to the rear indicate that the lower later section of The Nunnery replaces an older building, the fireplace belonging to this earlier phase. 1950's drawings (stored at the NMRS) by Ian G Lindsay and Partners for the NTS, show the plans for converting The Ark, Ark B and the Nunnery into one house. There are further plans dated 1960, for the rehabilitation of the 3 buildings as 3 separate dwellings. It was converted into 2 flats in 1964. For brief history of Culross Burgh see Culross, The Cross, The Study.

References

Bibliography

1:2500 OS Map (Perthshire), CXLII.4, 1860; D Beveridge, CULROSS & TULLIALLAN, Vol I, 1885, p117; RCAHMS, INVENTORY FOR FIFE, KINROSS & CLACKMANNAN, 1933, p84; A Smith, THE THIRD STATISTICAL ACCOUNT OF SCOTLAND, THE COUNTY OF FIFE, 1952, pp402-413; B Walker, G Ritchie, FIFE AND TAYSIDE, 1987, pp59-60; J Gifford, FIFE, THE BUILDINGS OF SCOTLAND SERIES, 1988, p49; R Lamont-Brown, DISCOVERING FIFE, 1988, pp50-52; C Mair, MERCAT CROSS AND TOLBOOTHS, 1988, p31; G Pride, THE KINGDOM OF FIFE, AN ILLUSTRATED ARCHITECTURAL GUIDE, 1990, p29; The National Trust for Scotland, CULROSS, 1999, p23; NTS, THE ROYAL BURGH OF CULROSS MANAGEMENT PLAN 1995-2000, 1995; National Monuments Record of Scotland (NMRS).

About Listed Buildings

Historic Environment Scotland is responsible for designating sites and places at the national level. These designations are Scheduled monuments, Listed buildings, Inventory of gardens and designed landscapes and Inventory of historic battlefields.

We make recommendations to the Scottish Government about historic marine protected areas, and the Scottish Ministers decide whether to designate.

Listing is the process that identifies, designates and provides statutory protection for buildings of special architectural or historic interest as set out in the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) (Scotland) Act 1997.

We list buildings which are found to be of special architectural or historic interest using the selection guidance published in Designation Policy and Selection Guidance (2019)

Listed building records provide an indication of the special architectural or historic interest of the listed building which has been identified by its statutory address. The description and additional information provided are supplementary and have no legal weight.

These records are not definitive historical accounts or a complete description of the building(s). If part of a building is not described it does not mean it is not listed. The format of the listed building record has changed over time. Earlier records may be brief and some information will not have been recorded.

The legal part of the listing is the address/name of site which is known as the statutory address. Other than the name or address of a listed building, further details are provided for information purposes only. Historic Environment Scotland does not accept any liability for any loss or damage suffered as a consequence of inaccuracies in the information provided. Addresses and building names may have changed since the date of listing. Even if a number or name is missing from a listing address it will still be listed. Listing covers both the exterior and the interior and any object or structure fixed to the building. Listing also applies to buildings or structures not physically attached but which are part of the curtilage (or land) of the listed building as long as they were erected before 1 July 1948.

While Historic Environment Scotland is responsible for designating listed buildings, the planning authority is responsible for determining what is covered by the listing, including what is listed through curtilage. However, for listed buildings designated or for listings amended from 1 October 2015, legal exclusions to the listing may apply.

If part of a building is not listed, it will say that it is excluded in the statutory address and in the statement of special interest in the listed building record. The statement will use the word 'excluding' and quote the relevant section of the 1997 Act. Some earlier listed building records may use the word 'excluding', but if the Act is not quoted, the record has not been revised to reflect subsequent legislation.

Listed building consent is required for changes to a listed building which affect its character as a building of special architectural or historic interest. The relevant planning authority is the point of contact for applications for listed building consent.

Find out more about listing and our other designations at www.historicenvironment.scot/advice-and-support. You can contact us on 0131 668 8914 or at designations@hes.scot.

Images

There are no images available for this record, you may want to check Canmore for images relating to CULROSS, LITTLE CAUSEWAY, THE NUNNERY INCLUDING REAR YARD WALLS AND FIREPLACE

There are no images available for this record.

Search Canmore

Printed: 30/05/2024 05:31