Listed Building

The only legal part of the listing under the Planning (Listing Buildings and Conservation Areas) (Scotland) Act 1997 is the address/name of site. Addresses and building names may have changed since the date of listing – see 'About Listed Buildings' below for more information. The further details below the 'Address/Name of Site' are provided for information purposes only.

Address/Name of Site

CULROSS, 4 AND 6 MID CAUSEWAY, THE DUNDONALD ARMS HOTEL INCLUDING OUTHOUSE AND REAR WALLLB24003

Status: Designated

Documents

There are no additional online documents for this record.

Summary

Category
C
Group Category Details
100000020 - see notes
Date Added
19/12/1979
Local Authority
Fife
Planning Authority
Fife
Burgh
Culross
NGR
NS 98661 85934
Coordinates
298661, 685934

Description

Mid 19th century; later additions; possibly incorporating mid-later 17th century house. 2-storey and attic; 4-bay public house and hotel; later single storey wing to far right (NE). Stugged snecked stone. 1st floor cill course; eaves course; chamfered window surrounds with stops. Base course; corniced eaves course and frieze to later NE extension.

SE (PRINCIPAL) ELEVATION: door at 2nd bay; chamfered ashlar door surround. Corniced frieze above door; triglyph; curvilinear pediment with volutes. Pub lettering to right of door. Single window to left; 2 windows to right. 3 1st floor windows hug eaves. Pub sign hangs from between 2nd and 3rd window. 2 canted dormer windows wholly in roof. Single storey extension to right; bipartite window to left; door to right.

SW ELEVATION: attached to 8 Mid Causeway.

NW ELEVATION: only 1st floor partially seen. 1st floor window to far right and far left. Advanced central section; central bipartite window. 2 bipartite dormer windows wholly in roof. Modern flat-roofed function wing to left.

NE ELEVATION: plaque dated '1661' and initialled 'WA SC' to upper left. Single storey extension at ground floor.

4-pane timber sash and case windows; moulded brackets to window surrounds. 6 upper panes, 1 lower pane to single storey extension. 2-leaf timber door; fanlight. Rooflights. Pitched roof; slate. Roof extends over rear addition. Piended slate dormer windows. Flat roof to NE extension. Coped gable apex stacks, numerous circular cans. Tall square stack to NE extension.

INTERIOR: modern pub interior.

OUTHOUSE AND REAR WALL

Lean-to outhouse to rear left; clay pantile roof. Tall rubble wall swept from lean-to lines Back Causeway and encloses rear yard. Replacement timber door to yard.

Statement of Special Interest

B-group with former stable. According to present landlord, the thick walls of the original 17th century house remain. The plaque on NE gable is said to have been part of a lintel from the earlier house; inscribed WA (Walter Adam) and SC (Sarah Cousin), the original owners (RCAHMS). Named after the Dundonald family, the Earls of Kincardine, who lived at Culross Abbey House.

References

Bibliography

1:2500 OS Map (Perthshire), CXLII.4, 1860; D Beveridge, CULROSS & TULLIALLAN, Vol II, 1885, p340; RCAHMS, INVENTORY FOR FIFE, KINROSS & CLACKMANNAN, 1933, p83; J Gifford, THE BUILDINGS OF SCOTLAND, FIFE, 1988, p153; additional information courtesy of the owner and Ann Macdonald, 2001.

About Listed Buildings

Historic Environment Scotland is responsible for designating sites and places at the national level. These designations are Scheduled monuments, Listed buildings, Inventory of gardens and designed landscapes and Inventory of historic battlefields.

We make recommendations to the Scottish Government about historic marine protected areas, and the Scottish Ministers decide whether to designate.

Listing is the process that identifies, designates and provides statutory protection for buildings of special architectural or historic interest as set out in the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) (Scotland) Act 1997.

We list buildings which are found to be of special architectural or historic interest using the selection guidance published in Designation Policy and Selection Guidance (2019)

Listed building records provide an indication of the special architectural or historic interest of the listed building which has been identified by its statutory address. The description and additional information provided are supplementary and have no legal weight.

These records are not definitive historical accounts or a complete description of the building(s). If part of a building is not described it does not mean it is not listed. The format of the listed building record has changed over time. Earlier records may be brief and some information will not have been recorded.

The legal part of the listing is the address/name of site which is known as the statutory address. Other than the name or address of a listed building, further details are provided for information purposes only. Historic Environment Scotland does not accept any liability for any loss or damage suffered as a consequence of inaccuracies in the information provided. Addresses and building names may have changed since the date of listing. Even if a number or name is missing from a listing address it will still be listed. Listing covers both the exterior and the interior and any object or structure fixed to the building. Listing also applies to buildings or structures not physically attached but which are part of the curtilage (or land) of the listed building as long as they were erected before 1 July 1948.

While Historic Environment Scotland is responsible for designating listed buildings, the planning authority is responsible for determining what is covered by the listing, including what is listed through curtilage. However, for listed buildings designated or for listings amended from 1 October 2015, legal exclusions to the listing may apply.

If part of a building is not listed, it will say that it is excluded in the statutory address and in the statement of special interest in the listed building record. The statement will use the word 'excluding' and quote the relevant section of the 1997 Act. Some earlier listed building records may use the word 'excluding', but if the Act is not quoted, the record has not been revised to reflect subsequent legislation.

Listed building consent is required for changes to a listed building which affect its character as a building of special architectural or historic interest. The relevant planning authority is the point of contact for applications for listed building consent.

Find out more about listing and our other designations at www.historicenvironment.scot/advice-and-support. You can contact us on 0131 668 8914 or at designations@hes.scot.

Images

There are no images available for this record, you may want to check Canmore for images relating to CULROSS, 4 AND 6 MID CAUSEWAY, THE DUNDONALD ARMS HOTEL INCLUDING OUTHOUSE AND REAR WALL

There are no images available for this record.

Search Canmore

Printed: 30/05/2024 07:36