Listed Building

The only legal part of the listing under the Planning (Listing Buildings and Conservation Areas) (Scotland) Act 1997 is the address/name of site. Addresses and building names may have changed since the date of listing – see 'About Listed Buildings' below for more information. The further details below the 'Address/Name of Site' are provided for information purposes only.

Address/Name of Site

CULROSS, 6 AND 7 THE CROSSLB24002

Status: Designated

Documents

There are no additional online documents for this record.

Summary

Category
B
Date Added
12/01/1972
Local Authority
Fife
Planning Authority
Fife
Burgh
Culross
NGR
NS 98671 85948
Coordinates
298671, 685948

Description

17th/18th century, 2-storey rectangular-plan house to S. 17th century, possibly earlier, rectangular-plan house to N. Linked by wing to W. Ground floor of both houses forms 6 The Cross; 1st floor of both houses forms 7 The Cross. Harled; exposed stone surrounds.

S HOUSE

S ELEVATION: ground floor window and 1st floor window to far right. Change in angle of wall to left; 2 ground floor windows; 2 1st floor windows. Advanced entrance to Dundonald Arms to far left; replacement 1st floor window above.

W ELEVATION: attached to Dundonald Arms.

N ELEVATION: plain elevation.

E ELEVATION: central ground and 1st floor window; curved left quoin. Wing set back to right links the 2 houses. Moulded stone stairs lead up to 1st floor door. Ground and 1st floor window to right. Harled wall to right links the 2 houses together, creating narrow yard.

12-pane timber sash and case windows; replacement casements above Dundonald Arms entrance. Droved window surrounds to E elevation. Replacement timber boarded door. Piended roof to E; pitched gable to W; clay pantiles. Ridge stack; circular cans.

N HOUSE

E ELEVATION: 2 ground floor windows. Shutter rebate and pin hinge remains to left ground floor window. 2 larger 1st floor windows; 2 small attic windows. Datestone in left skewputt inscribed '1577 AC MR'. Chamfered right quoin to ground floor ceiling height. Ground floor harled wall extends from left quoin to adjacent house; entrance way to far left; exposed, flat coping stones.

N ELEVATION: central window (former door), chamfered surround. Window to right, chamfered surround with stop. 1st floor window above right ground floor window; inserted window to left.

W ELEVATION: partially obscured by modern, flat-roofed building (not part of listing); 1st floor window to left; attic window to left. 2-storey linking wing.

S ELEVATION: steps lead down to ground floor door to left. Stugged stone door surround; window to right. 1st floor window above. Lean-to sheds to far right, harled walls; 2 doors.

Replacement 12-pane timber sash and case windows. Replacement timber boarded door. Pitched roof; clay pantiles. Crowstepped gables. Gable apex stacks; circular cans.

INTERIORS: not seen, 2001.

Statement of Special Interest

The N house is said to be the oldest house in Culross, probably because of the datestone, (which may not be in situ). It was formerly a shop (called Stuart's Emporium in the early 20th century); and both are now used for residential accommodation. Although the interior was not seen, both properties were modernised when converted to upper and lower flats in 1968. 6 and 7 The Cross are situated in a prominent position at The Cross where 4 roads converge and overlook the market cross. No 6 also stands at the head of Back Causeway, which follows the line of an earlier street which ran from the Abbey to the Sandhaven. The moulded stone steps are a feature found in a number of houses in Culross. For brief history of Culross Burgh see Culross, The Cross, The Study.

References

Bibliography

1:2500 OS Map (Perthshire), CXLII.4, 1860; D Beveridge, CULROSS & TULLIALLAN, Vol I, 1885, p117; RCAHMS, INVENTORY FOR FIFE, KINROSS & CLACKMANNAN, 1933, p83; A Smith, THE THIRD STATISTICAL ACCOUNT OF SCOTLAND, THE COUNTY OF FIFE, 1952, pp402-413; B Walker, G Ritchie, FIFE AND TAYSIDE, 1987, pp59-60; J Gifford, FIFE, THE BUILDINGS OF SCOTLAND SERIES, 1988, p49; R Lamont-Brown, DISCOVERING FIFE, 1988, pp50-52; C Mair, MERCAT CROSS AND TOLBOOTHS, 1988, p31; G Pride, THE KINGDOM OF FIFE, AN ILLUSTRATED ARCHITECTURAL GUIDE, 1990, p28; National Trust for Scotland, THE ROYAL BURGH OF CULROSS MANAGEMENT PLAN 1995-2000, 1995.

About Listed Buildings

Historic Environment Scotland is responsible for designating sites and places at the national level. These designations are Scheduled monuments, Listed buildings, Inventory of gardens and designed landscapes and Inventory of historic battlefields.

We make recommendations to the Scottish Government about historic marine protected areas, and the Scottish Ministers decide whether to designate.

Listing is the process that identifies, designates and provides statutory protection for buildings of special architectural or historic interest as set out in the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) (Scotland) Act 1997.

We list buildings which are found to be of special architectural or historic interest using the selection guidance published in Designation Policy and Selection Guidance (2019)

Listed building records provide an indication of the special architectural or historic interest of the listed building which has been identified by its statutory address. The description and additional information provided are supplementary and have no legal weight.

These records are not definitive historical accounts or a complete description of the building(s). If part of a building is not described it does not mean it is not listed. The format of the listed building record has changed over time. Earlier records may be brief and some information will not have been recorded.

The legal part of the listing is the address/name of site which is known as the statutory address. Other than the name or address of a listed building, further details are provided for information purposes only. Historic Environment Scotland does not accept any liability for any loss or damage suffered as a consequence of inaccuracies in the information provided. Addresses and building names may have changed since the date of listing. Even if a number or name is missing from a listing address it will still be listed. Listing covers both the exterior and the interior and any object or structure fixed to the building. Listing also applies to buildings or structures not physically attached but which are part of the curtilage (or land) of the listed building as long as they were erected before 1 July 1948.

While Historic Environment Scotland is responsible for designating listed buildings, the planning authority is responsible for determining what is covered by the listing, including what is listed through curtilage. However, for listed buildings designated or for listings amended from 1 October 2015, legal exclusions to the listing may apply.

If part of a building is not listed, it will say that it is excluded in the statutory address and in the statement of special interest in the listed building record. The statement will use the word 'excluding' and quote the relevant section of the 1997 Act. Some earlier listed building records may use the word 'excluding', but if the Act is not quoted, the record has not been revised to reflect subsequent legislation.

Listed building consent is required for changes to a listed building which affect its character as a building of special architectural or historic interest. The relevant planning authority is the point of contact for applications for listed building consent.

Find out more about listing and our other designations at www.historicenvironment.scot/advice-and-support. You can contact us on 0131 668 8914 or at designations@hes.scot.

Images

There are no images available for this record, you may want to check Canmore for images relating to CULROSS, 6 AND 7 THE CROSS

There are no images available for this record.

Search Canmore

Printed: 21/05/2024 14:18