Listed Building

The only legal part of the listing under the Planning (Listing Buildings and Conservation Areas) (Scotland) Act 1997 is the address/name of site. Addresses and building names may have changed since the date of listing – see 'About Listed Buildings' below for more information. The further details below the 'Address/Name of Site' are provided for information purposes only.

Address/Name of Site

CULROSS, 7 BACK CAUSEWAY, DAISYBANK INCLUDING BOUNDARY WALLLB23997

Status: Designated

Documents

There are no additional online documents for this record.

Summary

Category
B
Date Added
19/07/1973
Local Authority
Fife
Planning Authority
Fife
Burgh
Culross
NGR
NS 98635 85927
Coordinates
298635, 685927

Description

18th century. 2-storey, 3-bay, rectangular-plan house. Harled walls; droved stone window and door surrounds.

N (PRINCIPAL) ELEVATION: central door; flanking ground floor windows. 3 1st floor windows centred above, hugging eaves. National Trust for Scotland (NTS) plaque above left of door.

E ELEVATION: plain gable. 2 crowsteps below chimney.

S ELEVATION: partially seen, 2001. Advanced central lean-to; window in each elevation. Ground floor window to left and right of lean-to. Mid floor window between far left and 2nd bay. 3 1st floor windows. Skewputt to right quoin at mid level of 1st floor windows.

W ELEVATION: plain gable. 2 crowsteps below chimney.

12-pane timber sash and case windows to principal elevation. Predominantly modern fenestration to rear including UPVC windows.

Timber boarded door; decorative metal hinges; central tirling pin. Pitched roof, replacement clay pantiles. Gable apex stacks. Circular cans. Pantiled roof to rear lean-to.

INTERIOR: not seen, 2001.

BOUNDARY WALL

Timber door and rubble sandstone garden wall extends from rear E quoin southwards. Wall continues westwards along Mid Causeway incorporating moulded stone doorpiece of former house and rounded quoin to gate. Modern timber gates to left. Wall continues to left; modern garage to far left. Garden wall extends from rear W quoin southwards; partly harled; mostly exposed rubble sandstone; timber garden door; ashlar stone surround.

Statement of Special Interest

7 Back Causeway is built in a simple vernacular style, typical of many houses in Culross. Built onto a slope with W gable down hill. According to the present occupant, the house was thought to have been divided with access to the upper flat gained by a rear forestair. There seems to be no evidence of the forestair now. Restored internally in 1965. The now redundant rear skewputt indicates that the roof level has been raised. Back Causeway follows the line of an earlier street which ran from the Abbey to the Sandhaven. A building to the rear (on Mid Causeway) is visible on the 1860 OS map; this building is now gone, however, part of the doorpiece remains in the boundary wall of Daisybank. For brief history of Culross Burgh see Culross, The Cross, The Study.

References

Bibliography

1:2500 OS Map (Perthshire), CXLII.4, 1860; D Beveridge, CULROSS & TULLIALLAN, Vol I, 1885, p117; A Smith, THE THIRD STATISTICAL ACCOUNT OF SCOTLAND, THE COUNTY OF FIFE, 1952, pp402-413; B Walker, G Ritchie, FIFE AND TAYSIDE, 1987, pp59-60; J Gifford, FIFE, THE BUILDINGS OF SCOTLAND SERIES, 1988, p49; R Lamont-Brown, DISCOVERING FIFE, 1988, pp50-52; C Mair, MERCAT CROSS AND TOLBOOTHS, 1988, p31; NTS, THE ROYAL BURGH OF CULROSS MANAGEMENT PLAN 1995-2000, 1995; additional information courtesy of the occupant.

About Listed Buildings

Historic Environment Scotland is responsible for designating sites and places at the national level. These designations are Scheduled monuments, Listed buildings, Inventory of gardens and designed landscapes and Inventory of historic battlefields.

We make recommendations to the Scottish Government about historic marine protected areas, and the Scottish Ministers decide whether to designate.

Listing is the process that identifies, designates and provides statutory protection for buildings of special architectural or historic interest as set out in the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) (Scotland) Act 1997.

We list buildings which are found to be of special architectural or historic interest using the selection guidance published in Designation Policy and Selection Guidance (2019)

Listed building records provide an indication of the special architectural or historic interest of the listed building which has been identified by its statutory address. The description and additional information provided are supplementary and have no legal weight.

These records are not definitive historical accounts or a complete description of the building(s). If part of a building is not described it does not mean it is not listed. The format of the listed building record has changed over time. Earlier records may be brief and some information will not have been recorded.

The legal part of the listing is the address/name of site which is known as the statutory address. Other than the name or address of a listed building, further details are provided for information purposes only. Historic Environment Scotland does not accept any liability for any loss or damage suffered as a consequence of inaccuracies in the information provided. Addresses and building names may have changed since the date of listing. Even if a number or name is missing from a listing address it will still be listed. Listing covers both the exterior and the interior and any object or structure fixed to the building. Listing also applies to buildings or structures not physically attached but which are part of the curtilage (or land) of the listed building as long as they were erected before 1 July 1948.

While Historic Environment Scotland is responsible for designating listed buildings, the planning authority is responsible for determining what is covered by the listing, including what is listed through curtilage. However, for listed buildings designated or for listings amended from 1 October 2015, legal exclusions to the listing may apply.

If part of a building is not listed, it will say that it is excluded in the statutory address and in the statement of special interest in the listed building record. The statement will use the word 'excluding' and quote the relevant section of the 1997 Act. Some earlier listed building records may use the word 'excluding', but if the Act is not quoted, the record has not been revised to reflect subsequent legislation.

Listed building consent is required for changes to a listed building which affect its character as a building of special architectural or historic interest. The relevant planning authority is the point of contact for applications for listed building consent.

Find out more about listing and our other designations at www.historicenvironment.scot/advice-and-support. You can contact us on 0131 668 8914 or at designations@hes.scot.

Images

There are no images available for this record, you may want to check Canmore for images relating to CULROSS, 7 BACK CAUSEWAY, DAISYBANK INCLUDING BOUNDARY WALL

There are no images available for this record.

Search Canmore

Printed: 20/05/2024 08:09