Listed Building

The only legal part of the listing under the Planning (Listing Buildings and Conservation Areas) (Scotland) Act 1997 is the address/name of site. Addresses and building names may have changed since the date of listing – see 'About Listed Buildings' below for more information. The further details below the 'Address/Name of Site' are provided for information purposes only.

Address/Name of Site

CULROSS, WEST GREEN, THE HOUSELB23975

Status: Designated

Documents

There are no additional online documents for this record.

Summary

Category
B
Date Added
12/01/1972
Local Authority
Fife
Planning Authority
Fife
Burgh
Culross
NGR
NS 98480 85920
Coordinates
298480, 685920

Description

Dated 1636; later alterations. 3-storey; 5-bay, rectangular-plan house. Harled walls; exposed stonework to windows and door surrounds. Decorative dormerheads to E.

E (PRINCIPAL) ELEVATION: entrance door at 2nd bay; National Trust for Scotland (NTS) plaque above; lamp above door to right; horizontal window to left of door; window to right. Blocked door to far right bay; exposed stone surrounds; small window to left of door. Small 1st floor window at 1st bay; window to right. Window (possible former door) at 3rd bay, 1st floor (half blocked); window above door to far right. Pedimented dormer to left; reeded carving within pediment; projecting scrolls to rakes; thistle finial. Pedimented dormer to right; projecting scrolls to rakes; inscribed tympanum 'PK ME 1636', mullet, symbols; mullet within round finial. Lean-to to far right; ground floor window.

S ELEVATION: attached to The House at West Green.

W ELEVATION: central ground floor window; window to left. 1st floor window to left and right. Catslide dormer window to right and left. Lean-to to far left; ground floor window.

N ELEVATION: plain gable. Lean-to extension at ground floor; central door; flanking windows.

12-pane timber sash and case windows. Replacement timber studded door; tirling pin. Pitched, slate roof; crowstepped gable to N. Coped gable apex stacks.

INTERIOR: ground floor N room; large fireplace in N gable (currently blocked up, 2001); exposed sandstone surround; nook to left of fireplace. Ground floor N room, bed recess in E wall. 1st floor SE room, large fireplace in S wall, sandstone surround including huge lintel. 1st floor N room; exposed rubble sandstone walls to N and E. Large fireplace in N wall; slight chamfer to stone surround; large stone lintel. Blocked window to right of fireplace, set back, at floor level. Recess in E wall (possibly another bed recess). 2nd floor N room; small square room with coved ceiling and plastered ceiling; moulded ribs; winged heads; 8-pronged star within central circle.

Statement of Special Interest

Formerly listed as House (I Muir) West Green. During restoration of the house for the NTS in 1962, the interior features were discovered. This is an interesting building, not least because of its decorative pediments, the retention of its 17th century fireplaces and also the moulded plaster ceiling. The decorative dormer pediments are similar to those at Culross Palace; the triangular reeded pediment with thistle finial matches one on the W building of Culross Palace, but with additional scrolls to rakes. The other pediment has a mullet within a circle, a symbol that is seen on the finial to the Bruce Vault at the Abbey Church and 3 mullets feature in the Bruce coat of arms. This suggests that the house may have been connected to the Bruces. For brief history of Culross Burgh see Culross, The Cross, The Study.

References

Bibliography

1:2500 OS Map (Perthshire), CXLII.4, 1860; D Beveridge, CULROSS & TULLIALLAN, Vol I, 1885, p117; RCAHMS, INVENTORY FOR FIFE, KINROSS & CLACKMANNAN, 1933, p81; A Smith, THE THIRD STATISTICAL ACCOUNT OF SCOTLAND, THE COUNTY OF FIFE, 1952, pp402-413; B Walker, G Ritchie, FIFE AND TAYSIDE, 1987, pp59-60; J Gifford, FIFE, THE BUILDINGS OF SCOTLAND SERIES, 1988, pp49, 157; R Lamont-Brown, DISCOVERING FIFE, 1988, pp50-52; C Mair, MERCAT CROSS AND TOLBOOTHS, 1988, p31; National Trust for Scotland Archives.

About Listed Buildings

Historic Environment Scotland is responsible for designating sites and places at the national level. These designations are Scheduled monuments, Listed buildings, Inventory of gardens and designed landscapes and Inventory of historic battlefields.

We make recommendations to the Scottish Government about historic marine protected areas, and the Scottish Ministers decide whether to designate.

Listing is the process that identifies, designates and provides statutory protection for buildings of special architectural or historic interest as set out in the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) (Scotland) Act 1997.

We list buildings which are found to be of special architectural or historic interest using the selection guidance published in Designation Policy and Selection Guidance (2019)

Listed building records provide an indication of the special architectural or historic interest of the listed building which has been identified by its statutory address. The description and additional information provided are supplementary and have no legal weight.

These records are not definitive historical accounts or a complete description of the building(s). If part of a building is not described it does not mean it is not listed. The format of the listed building record has changed over time. Earlier records may be brief and some information will not have been recorded.

The legal part of the listing is the address/name of site which is known as the statutory address. Other than the name or address of a listed building, further details are provided for information purposes only. Historic Environment Scotland does not accept any liability for any loss or damage suffered as a consequence of inaccuracies in the information provided. Addresses and building names may have changed since the date of listing. Even if a number or name is missing from a listing address it will still be listed. Listing covers both the exterior and the interior and any object or structure fixed to the building. Listing also applies to buildings or structures not physically attached but which are part of the curtilage (or land) of the listed building as long as they were erected before 1 July 1948.

While Historic Environment Scotland is responsible for designating listed buildings, the planning authority is responsible for determining what is covered by the listing, including what is listed through curtilage. However, for listed buildings designated or for listings amended from 1 October 2015, legal exclusions to the listing may apply.

If part of a building is not listed, it will say that it is excluded in the statutory address and in the statement of special interest in the listed building record. The statement will use the word 'excluding' and quote the relevant section of the 1997 Act. Some earlier listed building records may use the word 'excluding', but if the Act is not quoted, the record has not been revised to reflect subsequent legislation.

Listed building consent is required for changes to a listed building which affect its character as a building of special architectural or historic interest. The relevant planning authority is the point of contact for applications for listed building consent.

Find out more about listing and our other designations at www.historicenvironment.scot/advice-and-support. You can contact us on 0131 668 8914 or at designations@hes.scot.

Images

There are no images available for this record, you may want to check Canmore for images relating to CULROSS, WEST GREEN, THE HOUSE

There are no images available for this record.

Search Canmore

Printed: 20/05/2024 07:41