Listed Building

The only legal part of the listing under the Planning (Listing Buildings and Conservation Areas) (Scotland) Act 1997 is the address/name of site. Addresses and building names may have changed since the date of listing – see 'About Listed Buildings' below for more information. The further details below the 'Address/Name of Site' are provided for information purposes only.

Address/Name of Site

CULROSS, PARLEYHILL HOUSE INCLUDING BOUNDARY WALLSLB23967

Status: Designated

Documents

There are no additional online documents for this record.

Summary

Category
B
Date Added
12/01/1972
Local Authority
Fife
Planning Authority
Fife
Burgh
Culross
NGR
NS 98817 86271
Coordinates
298817, 686271

Description

Possibly 1650, single storey, E wing; 1724 2-storey and attic, 3-bay, rectangular-plan house. Decorative doorpiece; curvilinear gables. Rendered; ashlar band and cavetto eaves course; ashlar surrounds to windows and quoins.

S (PRINCIPAL) ELEVATION: central door; corniced, moulded, lugged architrave; scrolled brackets. Flanking windows; 3 1st floor windows centred above. Single storey wing to right; window to left; door to right; raised surround to door; tiny window to right of door. W skewputt carved with shield and dated '1724'.

W ELEVATION: ground floor window to right; 1st floor window centred above with splayed surround. 2 horizontal oval attic windows.

N ELEVATION: 1st floor window to left; splayed surrounds. Smaller 1st floor window to right; small central ground floor window. Single storey wing to left; window to right; window to left (inserted circa 1994); advanced modern (circa 1994) extension to far left; window and door in right return.

ELEVATION: plain elevation.

Predominantly 12-pane timber sash and case windows. Slight chamfer to principal elevation window surrounds. Timber panelled door. Pitched roof; clay pantiles; slate easing course. Decorative curvilinear gables to 2-storey house; scroll skewputts. Coped gable apex stacks; circular clay cans. Gable apex stack to E to single storey wing; polygonal clay can.

INTERIOR: modernised later 20th century.

BOUNDARY WALLS

Tall rubble sandstone walls with ashlar coping stones and gatepiers to W. S wall from gate sweeps down slightly to curve eastwards towards Geddes House; N wall follows road towards West Lodge.

Statement of Special Interest

The attic windows provide the explanation for the nickname given to Parleyhill House, 'House of the Evil Eyes'. Culross' contact with Europe through trade links is reflected in some of its architecture including the curvilinear Dutch gables here. The name Parley Hill takes its origins from Parlor Hill, the area immediately to the west of the Abbey, where monks, relatives and other lay people would meet in the outer parlour (RCAHMS). Parleyhill House was a farm with a cattle yard to the rear. The earlier, single storey wing may have extended eastwards into the dip in the adjacent garden of Geddes House, however there is no evidence of this now. The wing may have been a buttery at one time (owner's information). The taller windows without splays are possibly about 100 years later than the original splayed windows. There was a small, interior timber spiral staircase to the rear which gave access to the attic, this was removed during later 20th century alterations. There are a number of theories for the oval windows including Parleyhill House being used as a look-out for excise men to watch smugglers.

References

Bibliography

1:2500 OS Perthshire Map, CXLII.8, 1860; RCAHMS, INVENTORY FOR FIFE, KINROSS & CLACKMANNAN, 1933, pp76, 80; J Gillespie, DETAILS OF SCOTTISH DOMETIC ARCHITECTURE, 1980, p4, pl 15; J Gifford, THE BUILDINGS OF SCOTLAND, FIFE, 1988, p154; G Pride, THE KINGDOM OF FIFE, AN ILLUSTRATED ARCHITECTURAL GUIDE, 1990, p27; additional information courtesy of the owner, 2001.

About Listed Buildings

Historic Environment Scotland is responsible for designating sites and places at the national level. These designations are Scheduled monuments, Listed buildings, Inventory of gardens and designed landscapes and Inventory of historic battlefields.

We make recommendations to the Scottish Government about historic marine protected areas, and the Scottish Ministers decide whether to designate.

Listing is the process that identifies, designates and provides statutory protection for buildings of special architectural or historic interest as set out in the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) (Scotland) Act 1997.

We list buildings which are found to be of special architectural or historic interest using the selection guidance published in Designation Policy and Selection Guidance (2019)

Listed building records provide an indication of the special architectural or historic interest of the listed building which has been identified by its statutory address. The description and additional information provided are supplementary and have no legal weight.

These records are not definitive historical accounts or a complete description of the building(s). If part of a building is not described it does not mean it is not listed. The format of the listed building record has changed over time. Earlier records may be brief and some information will not have been recorded.

The legal part of the listing is the address/name of site which is known as the statutory address. Other than the name or address of a listed building, further details are provided for information purposes only. Historic Environment Scotland does not accept any liability for any loss or damage suffered as a consequence of inaccuracies in the information provided. Addresses and building names may have changed since the date of listing. Even if a number or name is missing from a listing address it will still be listed. Listing covers both the exterior and the interior and any object or structure fixed to the building. Listing also applies to buildings or structures not physically attached but which are part of the curtilage (or land) of the listed building as long as they were erected before 1 July 1948.

While Historic Environment Scotland is responsible for designating listed buildings, the planning authority is responsible for determining what is covered by the listing, including what is listed through curtilage. However, for listed buildings designated or for listings amended from 1 October 2015, legal exclusions to the listing may apply.

If part of a building is not listed, it will say that it is excluded in the statutory address and in the statement of special interest in the listed building record. The statement will use the word 'excluding' and quote the relevant section of the 1997 Act. Some earlier listed building records may use the word 'excluding', but if the Act is not quoted, the record has not been revised to reflect subsequent legislation.

Listed building consent is required for changes to a listed building which affect its character as a building of special architectural or historic interest. The relevant planning authority is the point of contact for applications for listed building consent.

Find out more about listing and our other designations at www.historicenvironment.scot/advice-and-support. You can contact us on 0131 668 8914 or at designations@hes.scot.

Images

There are no images available for this record, you may want to check Canmore for images relating to CULROSS, PARLEYHILL HOUSE INCLUDING BOUNDARY WALLS

There are no images available for this record.

Search Canmore

Printed: 20/05/2024 06:44